A couple cars I'm comparing in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 02:06 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts
Default A couple cars I'm comparing in Canada

Wasn't even trying for the alliteration there. :P

So, I've been waffling on whether to go for an S or spring for a Turbo. Haven't fully decided, but there are a couple promising examples up here in Canada that I'm looking at. Figured I'd see what others think.

Car #1: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/m...ationFlag=true

It's a 2009 Turbo in white. Clean history report, but no maintenance history prior to the current owner (about 2 years). Interior is black with red stitching and red seat belts. A few nice leather options. Has the .1 Turbo wheels - probably because it was originally spec'ed with 'wheels painted black', which I assume a later owner didn't like. Not sure how I feel about the red belts, but easily changed. Stitching is cool though I think. I'm also not crazy about the smoked LED taillights or the red strips they've added to the grille and rear bumper, but I don't expect any of those would be too difficult to change. Factory LSD. Price just dropped to 90k CAD, which is about 69k USD.

Car #2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Porsche...25.m3641.l6368

A 2008, also in white, coincidentally with .2 Turbo wheels. This one has cocoa interior (which I like), a cocoa top (which I don't, but could live with and could always dye black if I really wanted to), and a pretty similar set of options. The painted grille is a nice touch in white IMO. Does have some wood trim, which I'm really not a fan of, but it does seem to fit nicely with the cocoa. I would change the steering wheel, probably for a DCT aftermarket one, which would tone down the wood sufficiently I think. (http://www.dctms.com/product_ST_PCH_997_987.html)

This car has a custom exhaust, including headers, as well as an Evo tune. I likely wouldn't have modded the car, but as long as the exhaust isn't too obnoxious that's probably a plus, and for a couple hundred bucks I should be able to get a box from EvoMS to swap between stock and their tune. On the downside, I believe it's on the stock clutch, which almost certainly doesn't have much life left given the mileage (45k miles) and mods. Also it has some apparently minor damage records - was hit while parked in a parking lot. Don't have full details on those yet. On the upside, asking price is 61k USD. Oh, also it has a Tooki Bluetooth interface installed (according to the ad a $2k value!) So that makes up some of the difference to the updated PCM in the other car, which does come with the phone interface.

Mileage is similar on both. The cocoa one is probably closer aesthetically to my ideal, minus the wood trim. The 09 is almost certainly worth more, and likely to hold value better given the newer model year and lack of stories. (I assume the red deviated stitching wouldn't turn off too many people. Or at least it would be a plus for as many as it would be a minus. More so than the wood trim, anyway.) The price difference is significant though. The '08 does have the 'free' performance mods, but will likely need a clutch upgrade soon, and would want to add an LSD.

So, which one would you want?

Last edited by Nate Tempest; 10-01-2016 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:24 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

'09 for sure. Lack of long term history is less likely to devalue compared to known damage and wood trim.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:21 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This is obviously going to be a very personal decision for you because those are two different cars in different price ranges. Personally, I would go for the 2008 car. I think it looks better, it has some of the same upgrades that I would want to do on my own car, and it is significantly less expensive. I would not be worried about the minor accident damage especially if this is a car you are planning to keep for a while and not just resell after a year or two.

It seems like on the second car you are getting more bang for your buck, because the exhaust and tune alone is saving you over $6k...again, things I would personally be looking to do at some point. Obviously if you are not planning to modify your car, that is not a value for you, which is why I said it is a personal decision for sure. Plus, while I know that it can be changed, those smoked tail-lights on #1 are awful in my opinion and something that I would immediately have to spend money on. I would use the fact that you are on the original clutch as a further negotiation point with the owner of the second car, because you may get another 15000-20000 miles out of it or you may have to replace it very soon. That part would be a mystery, and an expense that you would plan for.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:28 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Skip both those cars and buy the aerokit carrara white car in Toronto listed here.

(no affiliation)
Old 10-01-2016, 11:34 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Wasn't even trying for the alliteration there. :P

So, I've been waffling on whether to go for an S or spring for a Turbo. Haven't fully decided, but there are a couple promising examples up here in Canada that I'm looking at. Figured I'd see what others think.

Car #1: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/m...ationFlag=true

It's a 2009 Turbo in white. Clean history report, but no maintenance history prior to the current owner (about 2 years). Interior is black with red stitching and red seat belts. A few nice leather options. Has the .1 Turbo wheels - probably because it was originally spec'ed with 'wheels painted black', which I assume a later owner didn't like. Not sure how I feel about the red belts, but easily changed. Stitching is cool though I think. I'm also not crazy about the smoked LED taillights or the red strips they've added to the grille and rear bumper, but I don't expect any of those would be too difficult to change. Factory LSD. Price just dropped to 90k CAD, which is about 69k USD.

Car #2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Porsche...25.m3641.l6368

A 2008, also in white, coincidentally with .2 Turbo wheels. This one has cocoa interior (which I like), a cocoa top (which I don't, but could live with and could always dye black if I really wanted to), and a pretty similar set of options. The painted grille is a nice touch in white IMO. Does have some wood trim, which I'm really not a fan of, but it does seem to fit nicely with the cocoa. I would change the steering wheel, probably for a DCT aftermarket one, which would tone down the wood sufficiently I think. (http://www.dctms.com/product_ST_PCH_997_987.html)

This car has a custom exhaust, including headers, as well as an Evo tune. I likely wouldn't have modded the car, but as long as the exhaust isn't too obnoxious that's probably a plus, and for a couple hundred bucks I should be able to get a box from EvoMS to swap between stock and their tune. On the downside, I believe it's on the stock clutch, which almost certainly doesn't have much life left given the mileage (45k miles) and mods. Also it has some apparently minor damage records - was hit while parked in a parking lot. Don't have full details on those yet. On the upside, asking price is 61k USD. Oh, also it has a Tooki Bluetooth interface installed (according to the ad a $2k value!) So that makes up some of the difference to the updated PCM in the other car, which does come with the phone interface.

Mileage is similar on both. The cocoa one is probably closer aesthetically to my ideal, minus the wood trim. The 09 is almost certainly worth more, and likely to hold value better given the newer model year and lack of stories. (I assume the red deviated stitching wouldn't turn off too many people. Or at least it would be a plus for as many as it would be a minus. More so than the wood trim, anyway.) The price difference is significant though. The '08 does have the 'free' performance mods, but will likely need a clutch upgrade soon, and would want to add an LSD.

So, which one would you want?
I just bought another 997 turbo and since this is my third, I am comfortable to buy a car with no maintenance records.

It had no paintwork, No overrevs, clean interior and exterior and a good PPI. The PPI only recommended a new service and TPMS. Took another $3000 off, after they already took $3000 off before PPI. I took the extra $3000 to service the car and put a whole clear bra on the fender and hood. Spent $1700.

You have to look at what you want, I prefer the black interior.
It looks like mine actually.
Attached Images   
Old 10-25-2016, 09:27 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Well, I went for the 2009! Deal's done, just need to wait for it to arrive on the slow train from Toronto... I've also talked to Frank at Orange Tuning about getting a pair of Dectane tail lights to replace those smoked out ones (smoked LED tail lights for sale in a few weeks, if anyone wants a pair!)

Then just need to pick up a manual and a spare key. (The latter of which I'm sure will be $$$. :P ) Why someone would ever take the manual out of the car, let alone lose it, I don't know.

I'll post pics once I've got the new tail lights in. Also considering painting the side and rear skirts, as well as possibly the grille, which would have the exterior looking pretty similar to the 2008 I was looking at. (The painted grille is funny; I don't like it on silver cars, but on the white I think it looks great. No idea how much that'll cost, but I can't imagine it could be _too_ much...) With the black with red highlights interior and the new PCM on this car, should be the best of both worlds. (Aside from price, anyway, although I knocked a bit off at least.) I basically realized that the mods on the '08 weren't a huge plus for me. The custom exhaust is a race exhaust. Listened to it on video and it seemed more obnoxious than what I'd want. And this way I can enjoy a gradual progression. Stock will be plenty for me for now, then if/when I get tired of that, I can get a tune, then maybe exhaust someday.

So! Now I wait...
Old 10-25-2016, 10:44 PM
991turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a friend selling a red turbo low miles was in minor accident asking price is low in Toronto shoot me a message
Old 10-25-2016, 10:49 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991turbo
Have a friend selling a red turbo low miles was in minor accident asking price is low in Toronto shoot me a message
I think one Turbo is probably enough for me... :P
Old 10-25-2016, 11:56 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats on your new ride, nothing beat 911 turbo for fun factor.

Quick Reply: A couple cars I'm comparing in Canada