(Another) TPC DSC Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 04:07 AM
JKay
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default (Another) TPC DSC Review

Hello All

I got myself a 997 Turbo Cab a few months ago after always wanting a 911.

It never felt quite as I imagined it to feel and I was having trouble bonding with the car (completely stock standard) . Acceleration was fine but it was the suspension I didn't like. My 2011 Honda Civic Hatch felt better to me. My car was nudging $400k when new here in Australia as an MY08 so for something this expensive I felt that this wasn't right.

It felt way too bouncy especially at the rear, seemed to dive heavily under braking, and felt very floaty to me. Like many others, I also felt that PASM in sport mode was too stiff and I didn't use it much at all.

I then started this thread here on Rennlist and thanks to the members here I learned about the TPC DSC Box.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...uspension.html

I ordered one within a few days. It arrived in Australia 3 days later (this morning) and I got stuck in immediately. The new units now have the updated software which eliminates the blinking PASM light. There were previously 3 modes, soft medium and hard (no light, steady light and flashing light), but the new software makes it display as if it were stock, i.e. 2 modes with no light and a steady light.

Took me around 5 mins to install, and I had a quick drive around the city. I couldn't really open her up on the streets of inner Sydney, but I felt a difference right away.

Firstly it didn't feel floaty and bouncy anymore, and whenever i got on the brakes there was no more dive as previously experienced. It also surprisingly feels more comfortable than my car did with the stock PASM unit.

Then came the speed humps and potholes. I would previously feel the rear pogo-ing about overtime I went over any bumps, but now it just feels settled, absorbs the bump then carries on without hopping up and down, all at no expense to comfort.

What amazes me is the way it seems to make my 911 feel tighter, yet at the same time feels better over bumps.

Tom@TPC was also great to deal with the whole time, making things easy. Very happy with this, which cost me just slightly more than what 2 rear tyres would cost.

I will be going on some proper drives soon hopefully, and am looking forward to seeing how things feel when pressing on a bit.

Thanks
Jkay
Old 09-30-2016, 04:28 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same situation after buying my dream car. But I also did the DSC and can't rave about it enough. Awesome upgrade for not that much money.

I was in Sydney this Wed and Thursday and would like to know where the hell you can open up a 911 of any model! The traffic was horrific!

Cheers
Old 09-30-2016, 04:36 AM
JKay
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993MAN
I was in Sydney this Wed and Thursday and would like to know where the hell you can open up a 911 of any model! The traffic was horrific!

Cheers
Its not only the traffic, but also the Draconian speed laws we have here in Australia.

In many other countries, do 70mph on a highway and you're fine. Do that in Australia on an interstate highway and you get a fine and demerit points (limit here is a strict 110kmh or 68 mph. People often get fined for doing 112kmh lol.

130kmh (80mph) on an open empty highway in the dry is classed as RECKLESS here, and puts everyones life at risk and could lose you your license, especially on double demerit weekends like it is now. Hence you're constantly watching the speedo

You have to go far and even then you have to constantly watch your back for speed traps.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:09 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Come to Auckland JKay, lots of hoonable empty roads within 30 minutes of the city

Good to see some more people enjoying the DSC. Best investment I've made in the car to date IMO.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:11 AM
JKay
Instructor

I'd love to! I miss driving at normal speeds

Originally Posted by nzskater
Come to Auckland JKay, lots of hoonable empty roads within 30 minutes of the city

Good to see some more people enjoying the DSC. Best investment I've made in the car to date IMO.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:24 AM
DSC Sport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: NZ is such an amazing place to drive cars. It also has some pretty generous speed limits, and I was signaled to slow down by an officer or two while I was there rather than being pulled over

Glad you guys are enjoying the upgrade!

~Jordan
Old 09-30-2016, 01:39 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Thanks for the review. DSC is on my short-list.

('Mad Max' speeding not permitted? Always thought Australia would be the place to open up a 911 turbo or V8 Interceptor/)
Old 09-30-2016, 05:37 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Good review. What mode did you have it in when doing your initial test? If I understand it correctly, it makes your car feel a ton better in both modes. And you're on stock suspension, right? I was thinking of getting this mod and also either some H&R or GMG springs. Everything I've read about this mod has been very positive.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:56 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

float is gone, TPC really helped, I wouldn't want to go back to stock ever.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:26 PM
acf
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I want to keep my turbo as stock as possible.. but maybe next year I'll give the TPC DSC a try.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:45 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by acf
I want to keep my turbo as stock as possible.. but maybe next year I'll give the TPC DSC a try.
I can (kind of) understand why people want to stick to OEM, but this change is reversible in 2 minutes, and makes the car so much nicer to drive. I wouldn't wait, if you have even the vaguest intention of doing this, do it now, you'll only regret it if you wait.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:16 PM
JKay
Instructor

Originally Posted by vbb
Good review. What mode did you have it in when doing your initial test? If I understand it correctly, it makes your car feel a ton better in both modes. And you're on stock suspension, right?
(I'll refer to 4 modes, PASM Soft/PASM Sport and DSC Soft/DSC Sport - My own way of referring to them hope they make sense)

Hi Yes I am on stock suspension and wheels too. I tried it on both modes, and to me DSC Sport felt better than PASM Soft, from a comfort point of view

PASM Soft seemed to smash and thud into the bumps (and bounce after), whereas DSC soft seems to just ask up the bumps

I then switched to DSC Stiff, and that too, whilst definitely stiffer, still seemed to thud less over bumps (thuds more than DSC Soft but thuds less than PASM Soft), but as mentioned before didn't really get to go fast enough to see how this handled cornering.

Im yet to see which my favourite setting will be, as Ill need more miles for that. Cant comment on what it would be like with HR or GMG springs but I imagine it would work well.

And no mad max accelerations lol. Speed limits change constantly (34 speed limit changes on my commute), and speed traps often placed just outside a speed limit change. Big highways can have 80kmh restrictions (50mph), and many places the tolerance is as low as 1kmh (0.6mph), meaning exceed by 0.6mph and its hello FINE and POINTS. Id go for the DSC box if its on your shortlist JG996T

I can (kind of) understand why people want to stick to OEM, but this change is reversible in 2 minutes, and makes the car so much nicer to drive. I wouldn't wait, if you have even the vaguest intention of doing this, do it now, you'll only regret it if you wait.
I can only agree with what nzskater has said. I too am a big fan of OEM, but this in my opinion is definitely worthwhile.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:18 PM
JKay
Instructor

I also wanted to add how great TPC have been to deal with (Tom Chan was who I was speaking to) . That made the whole ordering process so pain free.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:16 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

so when the dsc is installed, your changes are all done on the dash through the sport and pasm buttons ?
Old 09-30-2016, 10:28 PM
JKay
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
so when the dsc is installed, your changes are all done on the dash through the sport and pasm buttons ?
Yes indeed. The interface is like a stock car. Only difference is that it remembers the last used setting and doesn't default to soft when you kill the engine. Also, pressing sport doesn't automatically engage stiff mode

It also looks like stock, ie no more flashing lights like the old version. It's either no light on the PASM switch for soft mode or a steady light when it's in sport mode

Quick Reply: (Another) TPC DSC Review