Sponsored by:

Steering Feels " Light " under hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:27 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts
Default Steering Feels " Light " under hard acceleration

i've done a tune , exhaust and i'm currently running on race gas , not sure what power it's making but it's MUCH stronger than the 91 octane tune. anyway, i am now starting to feel the front end release a bit under hard low speed acceleration. what do people usually do for this issue? i assume some suspension mods are in order.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:34 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

First get the car aligned, that will fix 90% of your issues.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:36 AM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
First get the car aligned, that will fix 90% of your issues.
not sure how alignment can affect the release of load , the car doesn't feel out of alignment. guess i could try though.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:39 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Proper alignment coupled with something like the dsc box makes the car much more stable at high speeds on the track. Out of the box alignment, while within factory spec can yield that light out of control feeling in the front. As an example, my car was like +.4/.6 camber stock, all over the place on the track, aligned to -1.0 up front suddenly super stable. Remember what the weight transfer is doing under hard acceleration as you load and unload the chassis.
It's the easiest, although least sexy, first step. Before you start throwing money at suspension mods be sure your baseline is solid. Suspension mods more than anything else can transform a nice street car into a rattling unbearable rough riding sob that's no longer fun to drive. Been there done that got the t shirt.....
C
Old 07-14-2016, 05:20 AM
DocHW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Suspension mods more than anything else can transform a nice street car into a rattling unbearable rough riding sob that's no longer fun to drive. Been there done that got the t shirt.....
C
^great advice.
This is basically what my mechanic told me in an hour long conversation about my mod-itches for the turbo. His workshop looking like porsche heaven yesterday (gt3's, gt4, cup cars) helped in my decision to just listen to him.

A good alignment, eibach springs, the dsc box and call it a day for street driving. Add semi-slicks if you like.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:19 PM
kchu221
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my street driven car, im doing eibach springs, eibach sways, rear toe links and the DSC box only.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's all weight transfer and balance. My 930 use to lift the front end under acceleration. Some addition coil over springs over the rear shocks helped a bit. Under full power you cant expect the front to take a solid set.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

I've experienced such front-end float under heavy accleration in every rear-engined P-car I've driven and just attributed it to weight transfer off the front end. It would make sense that heavier sprngs in the rear of the car would counter this to some degree, and necessary now that the OP has tuned the car and increased the HP.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:40 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Steering Feels " Light " under hard acceleration

My front wheels aren't coming off the ground but they're getting closer as I add power. Lol. Seriously, when I switched to the E85 tune there was a noticeable difference of weight transfer coming off the front wheels for the first few seconds of launch.
https://youtu.be/RrOveiaa5kA
^^^ not my car btw.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:54 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
My front wheels aren't coming off the ground but they're getting closer as I add power. Lol. Seriously, when I switched to the E85 tune there was a noticeable difference of weight transfer coming off the front wheels for the first few seconds of launch.
https://youtu.be/RrOveiaa5kA
^^^ not my car btw.
you mess with rear shocks yet ? i'm just running race gas on stock injectors for now, but the power increase is definitely noticeable in the suspension in the early gears. todd said switching to e85 will be another increase , then doing the injectors will be another. not sure what it makes now but i assume its a decent bit over 500 .
Old 07-15-2016, 12:09 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I'd expect that adding the DSC and tying increased stiffness in shock to acceleration would help put the power down and reduce front end lift.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:55 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by kchu221
For my street driven car, im doing eibach springs, eibach sways, rear toe links and the DSC box only.
Agree, esp the toe links as you put in a little more rear camber.
My current car just has dsc, gt2 rear bar and Porsche motors ports rear toe links, stock springs......works well.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:05 AM
DocHW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My guy told me he can get a good alignment with stock hardware. I also have the problem that all the tarret etc stuff is considered illegal parts in my country, although I might get away with porsche motorsport parts.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:30 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Starting with DSC box will help in 2 ways. It will firm the shocks under acceleration which will reduce the rear squat and also the front lift.

Alignment is a must, as mentioned by TT Surgeon, dialing in some static negative camber will keep the front geometry closer to neutral while accelerating. If your alignment shop can, have them jack up the nose up 1-2" to simulate acceleration and see what happens to the alignment. You don't want the front wheels to get toed in or positive cambered if possible.

Suspension changes will be your final piece of the puzzle, but then you need to nail down your goals - low speed launches (drag) or roll on, or track. For low speed you want the soft squat and lift to maximize traction out of the box, for roll ons and 100+ work, you want the stiff, short travel suspension.

Quick Reply: Steering Feels " Light " under hard acceleration