Sponsored by:

Which color wheels for Black 997.2TT

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 11:45 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbeck84
To each his own: I personally love the stock rims and kept them as a winter set but for the summer wanted something a little more aggressive looking. I went with a black set that was just a little flatter than the cars paint. I really liked it for a couple months but over time it just looked a little too bland. I added a red lip to the rim that matched the brake calipers and seat belts. 40 bucks and since then i have not driven it without someone commenting how much they like the look. I also bought a second set of center caps that were black and had the traditional Porsche crest with gold and red tones instead of the flat silver and black emblems on the stock center caps. I personally love it but do like taking it back to stock 5 months out of the year. Matches my driving mood - conservative in the winter, exotic / aggressive in the summer.
PS - i did the red lip myself. 4 coats of caliper paint after a couple very light sanding of the lip and looks professionally done from 2 feet, can see a few areas where it has too much or too little coverage from 5 inches. Overall could not like it more and had many owners ask if i was able to get these from the factory.
Looks great! Did you use a small brush free-hand? Masking?
Old 07-05-2016, 12:22 PM
dbeck84
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
Looks great! Did you use a small brush free-hand? Masking?
Since the wheels were off the car in the winter and the lip is about 1cm deep i did the first wheel after spending an hour masking off sections with painters tape and found that too be tedious and unneeded. The kit came with two brushes and a pint of caliper paint - can be bought at autozone. I just took my time, did one pass per day, used the larger brush (about 1cm wide) for the first two passes then the narrow brush for the last two.
I also bought a small brake caliper touch up pen for 6 bucks that i used to get into small areas i couldnt crush without going into to the lip and have continued to use it when i see a small nick appear.

As many others have noted these cars generate a ton of brake dust and i was getting really tired of how flat the red would look after a couple days of driving. about a month ago i bought a can of clear coat sealant and applied it to the lip using a cue tip while on the car and let it sit overnight. Worked wonders and the lip stays more vibrant than the rims or car

Biggest lessons learned:
- sit in a comfortable chair and find some storage bins to elevate the tires. Im only 32 and sitting on ground and the lifting / rotating the tires while hunched over was terribly uncomfortable.
- dont worry about masking just keep a small wet hand towel nearby. when I went over i just wiped that section off. the pain doesnt set very quick so cleaning was easier than prepping
- the caliper paint and clear coat had to be some of the most toxic stuff i had ever come across. at first i poured it into a small plastic dixie cup and it actually ate through the plastic and when i picked up the cup the base stayed on the group and the sides ripped off. use rubber gloves and either be in a very well ventilated area and or wear a mask. I did neither and my sinus were a mess for a week afterward
- i would not bother sanding the lip of the rim. They are treated for curb rash and have a dozen coats of paint on them. i dont think it did anything and the caliper paint is so thick and equally durable you can just paint over top of the rims paint and it will hold (if given time to sit and you use multiple coats. Also i suppose this means if i got tired of the red i could use paint thinner and bring it back to a stock look without having rough sanded base.

Ive never painted anything in my life and jumped into this without the slightest idea what i was doing so id buy the kit and touch up pen and just get started. The nice thing about a black rim is even if you do the worst job possible you could take it somewhere and they can always spray it black again for 70 bucks total so the margin of error is rather low. perfect DIY project.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:47 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbeck84
Since the wheels were off the car in the winter and the lip is about 1cm deep i did the first wheel after spending an hour masking off sections with painters tape and found that too be tedious and unneeded. The kit came with two brushes and a pint of caliper paint - can be bought at autozone. I just took my time, did one pass per day, used the larger brush (about 1cm wide) for the first two passes then the narrow brush for the last two.
I also bought a small brake caliper touch up pen for 6 bucks that i used to get into small areas i couldnt crush without going into to the lip and have continued to use it when i see a small nick appear.

As many others have noted these cars generate a ton of brake dust and i was getting really tired of how flat the red would look after a couple days of driving. about a month ago i bought a can of clear coat sealant and applied it to the lip using a cue tip while on the car and let it sit overnight. Worked wonders and the lip stays more vibrant than the rims or car

Biggest lessons learned:
- sit in a comfortable chair and find some storage bins to elevate the tires. Im only 32 and sitting on ground and the lifting / rotating the tires while hunched over was terribly uncomfortable.
- dont worry about masking just keep a small wet hand towel nearby. when I went over i just wiped that section off. the pain doesnt set very quick so cleaning was easier than prepping
- the caliper paint and clear coat had to be some of the most toxic stuff i had ever come across. at first i poured it into a small plastic dixie cup and it actually ate through the plastic and when i picked up the cup the base stayed on the group and the sides ripped off. use rubber gloves and either be in a very well ventilated area and or wear a mask. I did neither and my sinus were a mess for a week afterward
- i would not bother sanding the lip of the rim. They are treated for curb rash and have a dozen coats of paint on them. i dont think it did anything and the caliper paint is so thick and equally durable you can just paint over top of the rims paint and it will hold (if given time to sit and you use multiple coats. Also i suppose this means if i got tired of the red i could use paint thinner and bring it back to a stock look without having rough sanded base.

Ive never painted anything in my life and jumped into this without the slightest idea what i was doing so id buy the kit and touch up pen and just get started. The nice thing about a black rim is even if you do the worst job possible you could take it somewhere and they can always spray it black again for 70 bucks total so the margin of error is rather low. perfect DIY project.

Thanks! Inspiring work. May very well try it on my current set when I get new ones. Just have to get them powder coated black first.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:27 AM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I like black rims for the Bat-Mobile look, but that won't work with the tan interior. Gold would be nice but i don't know if it'll tie in with the interior. I say play it safe with silver.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:01 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I second the bronze on black notion. Recently there is good supply. The tireracks demolished their site currently but here are the two O.Z. options:

Old 07-16-2016, 12:38 PM
racingdad
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
IMSA, Formula 1 & Blancpain competing on TV right now. Pirelli WC on soon. Easy choices. IMSA 6hr FTW!
Too much brain power wasted on those 3 wheel choices when all look good and proper sharp and befitting. The choice should be between good/fitting and awesome! Proper ******* girth required.
Hey I like that gold and the bronze!

But I do like the HRE's in silver too.

Quick Reply: Which color wheels for Black 997.2TT