Sponsored by:

Leather tiptronic cover??!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:08 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Leather tiptronic cover??!?

I've always hated the look of the shifter surround on my Tiptronic. It looked old when it was new.

The only options I've noticed is the hugely overpriced carbon from wicked.

Has anybody added a boot to cover it up?
Old 06-14-2016, 06:20 PM
TTurboRoo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hated it too, particularly given the coating can and will deteriorate and soften just like that on the ***** etc.

My solution: Purchased a 997 seat cover for 50 bucks on Ebay, melted the tabs and removed the silver shift gate and had that leather professionally sewn onto the thing and then reassembled it.

Total cost: 268.00

Rex
www.wallabyranch.org
Old 06-14-2016, 06:41 PM
shadow993
Drifting

That looks great !

I may add that and a shifter boot to the tip shifter.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:46 PM
TTurboRoo
Advanced

Why would you boot the shift gate..... is yours worn or damaged?

Rex
www.wallabyranch.org
Old 06-14-2016, 06:49 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Originally Posted by TTurboRoo
Why would you boot the shift gate..... is yours worn or damaged? Rex www.wallabyranch.org

I just hate the outdated look on the silver. The pdk looks better, but I'm not sure if they are interchangeable.

Most new cars have a booted shifter on automatics.

Heck BMW been doing it since I can remember.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:37 PM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can contact exclusive option and they will leather wrap just about anything. If I remember correctly they have wrapped the silver center portion. I just bought a oem leather one from another member and it looks similar to what TTurboRoo has.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:11 PM
TTurboRoo
Advanced

Exclusive Options will bend you over and send you to Boston for that piece. They advertised that piece on Ebay for something like 900 and wanted exactly that to just send me the leather for application to my own piece. Simply would not work with me other than to sell me their piece actually. That was exactly why I simply bought a seat cover for the nice tight grain leather, then went to a local upholstery shop, matched the stitching thread and had them cover it for a couple hundred bucks!

We simply wanted to emulate the factory piece since you actually cannot order that piece (an Exclusive Option offering) covered in leather from a Porsche dealer without the VIN # of a car that came with that piece FROM the factory. So we used the photo in the 997TT Factory Options Book as a model and did it ourselves for a third of the price.

You can buy that plastic piece on Ebay for 65 today, do whatever you want to it and put it on your car when you are happy with it! It would be very simple to cover the silver too or fashion a stitched boot!
Old 06-16-2016, 02:27 AM
EXCLUSIVE OPTION
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Exclusive Option 997 Tiptronic / PDK Leather Trim

This modular leather trim part is a great upgrade for Tiptronic and PDK equipped 997 models. We offer these full leather shift trims for 997.1 and 997.2 in factory leather colors with matching or deviated stitching. These parts are very close to OEM factory leather parts.

Exclusive Option 997 PDK Leather Trim in Cocoa Leather

Our price has been always been 369+core. We stock most OEM leather parts and allow for core exchange for most of our items.

http://shop.exclusiveoption.com/Leat...87-9X7L41P.htm

Just for clarification we have NEVER advertised this item on Ebay for that 900 price. The product member "TTurboRoo" must have seen was probably from another company.

Please feel free to PM me for details or questions regarding these leather items. As a forum sponsor we have special offers for forum members and are here at your service for all your 997 leather needs.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:49 AM
TTurboRoo
Advanced

Perhaps it WAS a different company inasmuch as I do not see anything on your site with the Tiptronic shift bezel, only the PDK. I would have paid 369 in a heartbeat, not to have to have it manufactured myself!!
Old 06-16-2016, 11:18 AM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They aren't cheap but they do the best work I have seen.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:56 AM
recca
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TTurboRoo
Exclusive Options will bend you over and send you to Boston for that piece. They advertised that piece on Ebay for something like 900 and wanted exactly that to just send me the leather for application to my own piece. Simply would not work with me other than to sell me their piece actually. That was exactly why I simply bought a seat cover for the nice tight grain leather, then went to a local upholstery shop, matched the stitching thread and had them cover it for a couple hundred bucks!

We simply wanted to emulate the factory piece since you actually cannot order that piece (an Exclusive Option offering) covered in leather from a Porsche dealer without the VIN # of a car that came with that piece FROM the factory. So we used the photo in the 997TT Factory Options Book as a model and did it ourselves for a third of the price.

You can buy that plastic piece on Ebay for 65 today, do whatever you want to it and put it on your car when you are happy with it! It would be very simple to cover the silver too or fashion a stitched boot!
Can we find VIN# of a car that has this option from autotrader?

Quick Reply: Leather tiptronic cover??!?