Sponsored by:

Blew a turbo... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 09:17 PM
drvik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew a turbo... now what?

Had some excitement at the track last weekend, coming down the straight at 200kph with a white plume of smoke filling the track, followed by a slight 'pop' and ignition of oil in my exhaust system... I really was on fire that track day!

Suffice to say I blew my right turbo. Car has 116,000kms and I'm worried about the other side.

I am uncertain at this point if I want to give up on my 997 and trade up to 991.2. Unfortunately I have lots of parts on their way that were going towards maintenance and performance for future proofing the car (new O2 sensors, new MAFs, new knock sensors, cam solenoids etc etc).

So what are my options if I want to keep the stock LOOK of the turbos, in other words besides genuine stock turbos, are there any other turbos that my dealer couldn't pick apart from stock 9971.TT. Would a GT2 hybrid derivative be the same as 997.1tt (sorry I don't know enough about turbos).

All this talk of 63.5mm, 65mm and 68mm... does that mean the external dimensions of the turbo change?

Sorry for the dumb questions. The reason why I am considering modified turbos is because it's being covered by insurance and I will have some options with what I do, and expect the car to take a while to sell, so may swell enjoy it.

drvik
Old 06-09-2016, 11:46 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An 997.1 is hardly a parts car at this point, so of course you'll sort if before selling. Completing any in-flight maintenance will only make it easier to sell.

Since you're contemplating selling/trading it, that also answers the other half of the question: Stock turbos will bring a better price and make the car easier to sell.

I doubt there's an aftermarket turbo that looks sufficiently identical to the point where a dealer couldn't tell. -- BTW, why are you worried about the dealer? I'm assuming this car is past any warranty.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:10 AM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The "hybrid" turbos to which you refer--65mm, 66mm, etc.--look exactly the same as your stock turbos. In fact, they are stock turbos that have been modified:

- compressor side internal volume increased
- compressor blade inducer and exducer sections made larger (the 66mm measurement to which you refer describes the compressor exducer section.)
- exhaust turbine is usually lighter and re-profiled for faster spool

AFAIK, there is no way to tell these from stock by looking at the outside, other than maybe some branding by the shop that rebuilt them--FVD, EVOMS, etc. They install in the stock location with all of the stock connections. The changes are all inside, and they maintain their VTG function.

I sent my stock turbos off to FVD in Germany, and my car still recognized them when they came back rebuilt. In your case, you will have to use PIWIS to get your car to recognize them, but it takes 5 minutes.

If you are going to sell, just put some stock turbos back on, as mentioned.

Good luck,
Louis

P.S. That's one of the rebuilt turbos I re-installed on my car in my avatar. Cleaner than when it was taken off, but otherwise identical on the outside.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:48 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by L_perm
The "hybrid" turbos to which you refer--65mm, 66mm, etc.--look exactly the same as your stock turbos. In fact, they are stock turbos that have been modified:

- compressor side internal volume increased
- compressor blade inducer and exducer sections made larger (the 66mm measurement to which you refer describes the compressor exducer section.)
- exhaust turbine is usually lighter and re-profiled for faster spool

AFAIK, there is no way to tell these from stock by looking at the outside, other than maybe some branding by the shop that rebuilt them--FVD, EVOMS, etc. They install in the stock location with all of the stock connections. The changes are all inside, and they maintain their VTG function.

I sent my stock turbos off to FVD in Germany, and my car still recognized them when they came back rebuilt. In your case, you will have to use PIWIS to get your car to recognize them, but it takes 5 minutes.

If you are going to sell, just put some stock turbos back on, as mentioned.

Good luck,
Louis

P.S. That's one of the rebuilt turbos I re-installed on my car in my avatar. Cleaner than when it was taken off, but otherwise identical on the outside.
what other mods did you do ? did the drop in turbo ( thats what we call that style in the performance diesel industry ) make substantial power gain ?
Old 06-11-2016, 02:54 AM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
what other mods did you do ? did the drop in turbo ( thats what we call that style in the performance diesel industry ) make substantial power gain ?
In a word, yes.

I did all of my power mods at the same time, so I can't say what is attributable to the turbos versus the rest. But, the re-profiled turbos are the heart of the system. I also have: FVD tune; FVD exhaust and headers; Forge BRVs; GT3 TB and matching IPD plenum; FVD (AKG) ICs with reinforced hoses. I don't use the recommended aftermarket air filter, as I don't want the oil on my MAFs, and I don't trust them to protect the engine as well as the stock paper filter.

I've never dyno'd, but I should be at about 625 crank hp. The difference is not something you need to be sensitive to feel. It's very obvious, and very pleasing. Response is stronger and more immediate. Pulls like mad. I was slightly underwhelmed by the car in stock form, which is why I decided to mod. Now, the car feels like a 911 Turbo should in my mind. And, my FVD tune is mild compared to the 700+ guys around here who are also using various "hybrid" turbos. I think the hybrids will take you to 775 or so. The required hardware is not much different from mine--maybe some colder plugs and uprated coils.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:31 AM
drvik
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the clear explanations. I'll install a stock turbo and sell the car. I test drove a 991.2 C2S and really enjoyed the dual turbo/NA characteristics of the car. Should tie me over until the GT2RS arrives

Quick Reply: Blew a turbo... now what?