Sponsored by:

Dension and phone functions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 05:17 PM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dension and phone functions

I have the Dension 500S BT in my 997.1 TT. Works fine for playing music but can't get the phone functions on the PCM to work i.e. phone book, phone buttons etc. I read somewhere that I need to disconnect the phone module but don't no how, neither does my indy. Appreciate some help.

/Darius
Old 04-30-2016, 05:18 AM
heliflyer
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

phone module is under left hand seat. Remove the seat, undo the bolts securing the module in place, flip it over to get to the plugs.
disconnect the power plug and the MOST fibre optic connection - install a MOST loop in the MOST connection you have just disconnected to keep the fibre optic circuit continuity - then re-install everything.
Done!
Old 04-30-2016, 08:05 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Originally Posted by heliflyer
phone module is under left hand seat. Remove the seat, undo the bolts securing the module in place, flip it over to get to the plugs. disconnect the power plug and the MOST fibre optic connection - install a MOST loop in the MOST connection you have just disconnected to keep the fibre optic circuit continuity - then re-install everything. Done!
Thanks alot! Great instructions! Just a couple of follow up questions:
1. By the left hand seat do you mean driver side? Mine is left hand drive
2. Do you also need to disable the phone module via the software, i.e. through the dealer?

Thanks again.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:09 PM
heliflyer
Racer

I'm in UK so my car is RHD but I think the phone module is always under the RH seat regardless.
No need for any re programming to remove the phone module via software - in fact it is better not to have it removed - that way you can revert to stock at any time if you wish without having to have the car re programmed.
I removed the phone module and frunk mounted cd player - no re coding done and all dension kit works perfectly - you will however see a short error message on each initial boot of the Dension that the cd player is not available - just cancel that and you are done.

Just realised in my first post I said phone module was under the LH seat - That was incorrect - I think it is always under the RH seat regardless of whether the car is LHD or RHD
Old 04-30-2016, 08:22 PM
El Dario Loco
Racer

I'm in UK so my car is RHD but I think the phone module is always under the RH seat regardless. No need for any re programming to remove the phone module via software - in fact it is better not to have it removed - that way you can revert to stock at any time if you wish without having to have the car re programmed. I removed the phone module and frunk mounted cd player - no re coding done and all dension kit works perfectly - you will however see a short error message on each initial boot of the Dension that the cd player is not available - just cancel that and you are done. Just realised in my first post I said phone module was under the LH seat - That was incorrect - I think it is always under the RH seat regardless of whether the car is LHD or RHD
Sounds great! I also think I read somewhere that the phone is under the right seat. Btw, whats the advantage of removing the cd player? Mine is in place and i can play songs from my phone...

Last edited by El Dario Loco; 04-30-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:02 AM
heliflyer
Racer

removed the cd player as it was broken - no need for it - more space in the trunk
Old 05-01-2016, 11:09 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Not sure where you bought, but they should provide some support on this.

Disable the phone module under passenger seat AND bypass it using the CD Bypass Cable (we sell, and others do as well). Then dealer must deprogram it from your vehicle using the Porsche tester.

If you have a changer, and it is not plugged into the 500SBT, bypass it using the same item above.

You can also send Dension a note (we are their primary US distributor) at their website, and you can mention where you purchased it, particularly if they are not providing support (they should).

Otherwise the above should resolve it.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-02-2016, 03:44 AM
heliflyer
Racer

Eric - I had nothing disabled in Piwis - simply disconnected the power plugs and used the MOST loops. Everything works fine.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:01 AM
angusc
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just unplug the phone module and then use the Denison you will get the cd player error message each time you enter the car and switch on the PCM. However if you un code the cd player from the system you will no longer receive this error message. Everything works both ways it's just a case if you can live with the error message our not.....
Old 05-02-2016, 12:37 PM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Not sure where you bought, but they should provide some support on this.

Disable the phone module under passenger seat AND bypass it using the CD Bypass Cable (we sell, and others do as well). Then dealer must deprogram it from your vehicle using the Porsche tester.

If you have a changer, and it is not plugged into the 500SBT, bypass it using the same item above.

You can also send Dension a note (we are their primary US distributor) at their website, and you can mention where you purchased it, particularly if they are not providing support (they should).

Otherwise the above should resolve it.
I bought mine directly from Dension home page. Haven't actually been in contact with them regarding the phone issue. Might do that if these tips don't work. Just wish I hade ordered av MOST loop when I bought the unit.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:59 PM
lolakr
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before installing the Dension my factory setup included a PCM2.1, Bose Amp, Nav DVD, **NO** CDC, and a factory Phone Module. I removed the phone module from the MOST loop with the fiber loop adapter and unplugged the phone module wire harness so it is no longer connected to the car.

The Bluetooth music streaming is working without an issue, however when I hit the phone button I get a message on the PCM saying "Internal Phone is not available" and the PCM will not let me enter the Phone screens on the radio and I am unable to receive a phone call via Bluetooth.

Do I need the computer to be updated so it is coded as *NOT* having a factory phone for it to work correctly? Or do I need to let the car sit for a few hours before it figures it all out?

Thanks
Matt
Old 08-27-2016, 04:59 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

For non Euro vehicles, you must deprogram the phone if it had at the module.

For Euro cars, in many cases, this may not be necessary.

You will also want the vehicle programmed for a cd changer after the Dension is installed.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:37 PM
d_phlat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

phone module is under left hand seat. Remove the seat, undo the bolts securing the module in place, flip it over to get to the plugs.
disconnect the power plug and the MOST fibre optic connection - install a MOST loop in the MOST connection you have just disconnected to keep the fibre optic circuit continuity - then re-install everything.
Done!
Heliflyer: I looped out phone module, but not sure which is power: the loom with multiple wires or the purple single-wire plug? Perhaps I can just remove both?

Quick Reply: Dension and phone functions