Sponsored by:

Coilover Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 06:09 PM
triplenet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coilover Question

Just installed some OEM GT3-RS coilovers .... Really amazing btw ....

Now that the handling is vastly improved - I am trying to understand its turning limits ....

Prior to the install the car would start to lean a bit as I pushed her hard and that would indicate that I am getting close to the limit ...

Now that she runs basically flat at all speeds I am trying to figure out when I am getting close to breaking loose ...

Any tips, pointers, suggestions appreciated ....

Thanks
Old 04-28-2016, 07:01 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Find a big empty parking lot and go crazy, and if you can setup some road comes or markers. Best way to learn is through practical training

That aside, depending on the tyre you should find it relatively progressive, and easily controllable should it slip, especially with traction control on.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:25 PM
triplenet
Pro

Originally Posted by nzskater
especially with traction control on.
whats traction control
Old 04-28-2016, 07:27 PM
triplenet
Pro

btw - Turn 17 at Sebring is at around 120 + .... cones in a parking lot are not really the speed I was talking about .....

Just curious if there is a feel, or a tell tale signal from the car that preempts the tires breaking loose ...

before the suspension upgrades the car would progressively lean and you could figure out where she was at the limit ...
Old 04-28-2016, 10:43 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Ah. In that case, not really. Running MPSC2's, lowering springs (GMG) and the DSC controller, I've found handling greatly improved, but oversteer a little harder to predict. When it does break loose it seems easier to control though. It's fine on a fast sweeper, but sometimes gets a little gnarly...
Old 05-01-2016, 11:49 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting, were they a direct bolt on?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:36 AM
triplenet
Pro

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Yes...... to the best of my knowledge .... What an amazing upgrade ...

Just planted around every turn .... if thats how a GT3 runs I can see what they are amazing .... Doing my first track day with them soon :evil grin:

Old 05-16-2016, 06:34 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
We're the shop which does all the work (suspension, diff, brakes, etc...) for triplenet. It's virtually a direct bolt or I should say it's 90-95% direct bolt on.

Let me know if you require or want anymore information.

CheeRS,

MJ
Old 05-16-2016, 01:31 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What tires are you running on the car, they will play a big role in how the grip breaks away. Some tires are more sudden (yokohama) and others can be quite progressive.

In the corners you have three phases that require different grip and response from the suspension, entry-mid-exit.

A good way to test grip levels mid corner - is to try to tighten the arc/radius when you reach the apex -mid part of the corner, not track all the way out on the exit. If you are close to max cornering, the car will probably start to understeer as you add steering input. If you are able to tighten the arc/line, then you could have carried a bit more speed at the entry and the mid corner.

Testing mid-corner to exit is a little riskier, as too much speed/throttle could add oversteer that you need to be swift to catch. Save that for after you have tested the entry to mid.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:29 PM
clb00196
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say 90-95% direct bolt on what is the other 100% needed for these to fit ?

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
We're the shop which does all the work (suspension, diff, brakes, etc...) for triplenet. It's virtually a direct bolt or I should say it's 90-95% direct bolt on.

Let me know if you require or want anymore information.

CheeRS,

MJ

Quick Reply: Coilover Question