Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody learned to do their own PDR?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:35 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Anybody learned to do their own PDR?

I have a dent in the top of each fender in my 997 and my 996. I'm almost positive the 997 happened by my 8 year old, but no one is admitting it.

I have always wanted to learn to do pointless dent removal (PDR). My wife's Honda Odyssey is an absolute magnet for dings, so I'd have plenty to practice on before attempting a "nice" car.

I'm thinking of trying one of these:

Amazon PDR Tool Amazon PDR Tool

Any thoughts? I'm not new to body work, but I've always outsourced PDR. It seems like a glue stick flavor is an easy way to start.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:14 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a similar kit, works but not good enough for a porsche. Sometimes they pull too much resulting in a pimple instead of a dimple.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:14 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm sure you could learn to do it...but the few times I've needed PDR I let an experienced guy do the work. They know where to place the tools to be most effective and the good ones have done it so many times, it becomes second nature for them. Good luck.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:56 AM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched a bunch of vid's on youtube and then decided it wasn't worth the hundred bucks a pro would charge. Would be nice to be able to do it though.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:52 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a fun art to pick up actually.

Starting on a 997tt is interesting, but the worst case is some work and a panel re-spray at a body shop, which is already the worst case. Unless you have a reliable network that referred a specific individual, I'm not even sure it's all that likely.

I would not go there to save money, though long term it might work out that way. I would do it for kicks and satisfaction.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:26 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I had a pro do a half dozen minors on my 993 in less than an hour. All door dings.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:18 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MadScience
Sounds like a fun art to pick up actually.

Starting on a 997tt is interesting, but the worst case is some work and a panel re-spray at a body shop, which is already the worst case. Unless you have a reliable network that referred a specific individual, I'm not even sure it's all that likely.

I would not go there to save money, though long term it might work out that way. I would do it for kicks and satisfaction.

I'd get all kinds of practice on the wife's Odyssey before I tried one of the Porsches

I'm still gonna try it. I've always liked body work, paint, buffing, spraying... hell it can't be that hard.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:49 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I have a similar kit, works but not good enough for a porsche. Sometimes they pull too much resulting in a pimple instead of a dimple.
that's why god invented the hammer. Just bang it back in

My jeep needs this. But a 16 year old cherokee looks good with some bruises.

Quick Reply: Anybody learned to do their own PDR?