Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension wear...common failure points?

Old 04-11-2016, 07:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts
Default suspension wear...common failure points?

One thing you don't hear much about in this forum is the replacement of suspension components due to wear, clunking, harshness, etc, so I'm wondering if people have identified any common failure points on the suspension in these cars as the miles and age climb.

For instance, a lot of cars beat up their swaybar endlinks, but I haven't heard of that on these.

So, what bushings or ball joints commonly fail? When are the struts regarded as being worn out? Necessary pieces to keep the suspension fresh?

Trying to get some dialogue going that may be helpful for all.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2016, 08:13 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Asked the S.A. at local dealer if my suspension was still ok. He said yes, you'll know it when it's not. They test drove the car 80 miles after the coolant system fix, so plenty testing of everything.

Am at 91K miles now, and replaced all of it on my 993 at 75K. It would take a set in an 80 mph sweeper, and not hold it. Wallow around a couple times during the corner. Replaced shocks, A arms and front sway bushings.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:20 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I've heard that it's relatively common to get noise/squeaks around the bushings/joints in the LCAs. Mine made a bit of noise once or twice, so sprayed some Wurth in there to confirm source, and the noise has never come back. Intended to get a GT3 set, but due to the fact the car still feels fine and it never came back, I haven't as of yet.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:10 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Unlike the 993's, these suspensions seem like they're holding together well. I have seen some sway bar end links go bad on here, but nothing serious.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:55 AM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The front suspension has very little rubber in the arms to get broken down. The front strut upper mount/camber plate has more rubber and can get torn and clunk. Front sway bar bushings should be re-lubed occasionally.

The rear arms (upper and lower) have more rubber bushings that could soften after a few years. But that's about it. End links are sealed plastic shelled bearings, ball joints are all sealed and rarely wear. Mi would not worry until after the 10yr mark. The bushings on our 8yr old car are surprisingly good shape. Rear sway bar bushings should be re-lubed also.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

good info, thanks.

What are you lubing the sway bar bushings with? White lithium?
Old 04-12-2016, 03:34 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Polyurethane or silicone grease will work fine.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:33 AM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Asked the S.A. at local dealer if my suspension was still ok. He said yes, you'll know it when it's not.
I've not gone through this on a p-car, but on all my other cars I just got used to how it felt as things slowly degraded. Every time (and I've gone through a couple) that major refreshes were done on my cars it was like driving an all new car again. -- So I wouldn't count on knowing.

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
Am at 91K miles now, and replaced all of it on my 993 at 75K. It would take a set in an 80 mph sweeper, and not hold it. Wallow around a couple times during the corner. Replaced shocks, A arms and front sway bushings.
OK, that's good to know. Perhaps the tires on my 997 aren't what's keeping me from blowing the doors of my SO's F31 in a tight bend. (Not that there's anything at all wrong with the F31, I just don't expect it to nearly best a 911 with huge rubber on it...)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: suspension wear...common failure points?