Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Turbo GT2RS build

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:30 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, outstanding conversion! What brand are the LED taillights you used, oem? Attention to detail is amazing.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:47 PM
iSysman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Wow, outstanding conversion! What brand are the LED taillights you used, oem? Attention to detail is amazing.
Thanks. Yes they are OEM. All the parts are except some of the carbon bits.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:53 PM
iSysman
Advanced

Couple of shots I took this week, for a magazine article.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:17 PM
dariog
Banned

Originally Posted by iSysman
Thanks. Yes they are OEM. All the parts are except some of the carbon bits.
Great idea and hard work already done by you as well as the financial effort, I have seen your threat on 911uk some time ago, as I 997GT2 owner I have read almost everything connected to GT2 and GT2RS on the internet

Truly admire your car!

As attention to detail was already mentioned I have to ask whether the instrument cluster, specifically tachometer shield should have "RS" inscription? In my opinion between 997GT2RS and 997GT2 there is no difference for instrument cluster, and that is why I think on tachometer should be "GT2" written instead.

"RS" was rather used in 997.1 and 997.2 GT3RS

CheeRS
Darek
Old 03-31-2016, 11:47 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Great build! really really nicely done. One question - I kept looking at your exhaust tips and then look at my own exhaust(s). And I am guessing that your tips are not OEM, please correct me if wrong.

Originally Posted by dariog
As attention to detail was already mentioned I have to ask whether the instrument cluster, specifically tachometer shield should have "RS" inscription? In my opinion between 997GT2RS and 997GT2 there is no difference for instrument cluster, and that is why I think on tachometer should be "GT2" written instead.
You are correct. The tachometer on both the GT2 and the GT2RS says "GT2" as well.

Last edited by Igooz; 04-01-2016 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:39 AM
Rexman100
Intermediate

It looks like the freaking BAT-MOBILE from the rear. Awesome.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:04 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is actually a bit strange and lame from Porsche. The GT3 RS 4.0 has that on its cluster, saying RS 4.0, but the GT2 RS has only GT2 on its cluster.

I'd prefer GT2 RS, and if I someday can afford one, I'm gone rip that cluster out and add the RS to it. Not a big deal for most, but for me it's all in the details

Also, there is a guy on the 996tt section doing this very same thing, turning his TT into a GT2 RS. Awesome!
Old 04-01-2016, 11:34 AM
dariog
Banned

Originally Posted by Berra
This is actually a bit strange and lame from Porsche. The GT3 RS 4.0 has that on its cluster, saying RS 4.0, but the GT2 RS has only GT2 on its cluster.

I'd prefer GT2 RS, and if I someday can afford one, I'm gone rip that cluster out and add the RS to it. Not a big deal for most, but for me it's all in the details

Also, there is a guy on the 996tt section doing this very same thing, turning his TT into a GT2 RS. Awesome!
It is economic point of view. Porsche 997 GT2 and GT2 RS has many parts in common, basically the difference between them are not huge, mainly due to weight reduction process.

iSysman I have sen you are using carbon folden bucket seats:

In 997 GT2RS they are not foldable, but as I recall for US market there were as option

In my 997 GT2 ClubSport they are looking that way (covered with perlon - racing fire retard material, by the way very comfortable):

Old 04-01-2016, 01:13 PM
iSysman
Advanced

Originally Posted by dariog
Great idea and hard work already done by you as well as the financial effort, I have seen your threat on 911uk some time ago, as I 997GT2 owner I have read almost everything connected to GT2 and GT2RS on the internet

Truly admire your car!

"RS" was rather used in 997.1 and 997.2 GT3RS

CheeRS
Darek
Hi, sorry I haven't replied. I don't get notified of updates on this forum for some reason.

Anyway the dial faces were custom made and at the time I didn't want my car to have GT2 on it. People get upset if you put GT2 on it when its not one! So I decided to put RS instead. However now I've had time to think I will probably switch them out at some point. When a set of genuine faces come along.

And yes the seats on the GT2RS were fixed as standard, however in the UK you could have the folding seats as an option. The fixed seats are very expensive and are the same as fitted in the Carrera GT. I had no plans to fit carbon seats initially. I was going to re-trim my electric sport seats with alcantara but these seats came up for sale and I bought them, it was kind of an impulse buy!
Old 04-01-2016, 01:23 PM
iSysman
Advanced

Originally Posted by Igooz
Great build! really really nicely done. One question - I kept looking at your exhaust tips and then look at my own exhaust(s). And I am guessing that your tips are not OEM, please correct me if wrong.

You are correct. The tachometer on both the GT2 and the GT2RS says "GT2" as well.
Exhaust tips are OEM Titanium tailpipes. They have the part numbers on them. They are being replaced soon though as I have ordered a custom set from Kline Innovation. I'll post a photo once they are fitted.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:17 PM
DocHW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looking forward to see the custom tips.
You have the standard 2.5" with 200 cats right? I understand why not decatted, but why did you decide against 100 cell cats?

Great thread with lots of details.. love it.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:27 PM
iSysman
Advanced

Originally Posted by DocHW
Looking forward to see the custom tips.
You have the standard 2.5" with 200 cats right? I understand why not decatted, but why did you decide against 100 cell cats?

Great thread with lots of details.. love it.
Well at the time I got the exhaust system I didn't know they made 100 cell cats and also I'm not sure the car would pass emissions tests in the UK. I actually have the decat pipes as they came with the exhausts but I've never fitted them.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:01 PM
iSysman
Advanced

Had a call today that my car had all the panels on now for the dry fit before painting. So I drove down to Tech9 to check it out.

Centre radiator is all in place now with ducting. I had to order more parts though as I'd missed some. The guy working on my car really knows his RS cars. He was pointing out bits I need and telling me about which bits are correct etc.

So Parts ordered, are ducting for left and right radiators
More ducting for inside wheel arches to direct air to the brakes as fitted to all RS cars and various bolts and bits to fix them in place. Also a metal bracket that goes under the front bumper to strengthen it when in place.

Porsche Wilmslow are sending them direct to Tech9 once they arrive which is excellent service!

Old 04-11-2016, 12:18 PM
iSysman
Advanced

Got a nice delivery in the post today: my new exhaust tips or tailpipes from Kline! Made from Inconel. Looking forward to getting these bad boys fitted.

As far as getting the car back I'm told 22nd at the earliest based on them getting the car back from the paint shop early next week (car goes in for paint Wednesday) and no more parts needing to be ordered. Yikes. I was planning on going to Silverstone in it on Sunday.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:20 PM
monty007
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing conversion! I hope your going to keep the car and enjoy it!

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo GT2RS build