Sponsored by:

Changster's 997.2 TTS, pics mods etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 12:39 AM
changster123
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by strummr
...but definitely interested in your mod progression with the TTS.
Next will be full Tractive DDA coilovers. I track this car enough to justify coilovers. If you don't track then this isn't needed IMO.

If someone came out with a flex fuel E85 solution, I'd do that too. It would need port injection (12 injectors).

Syvecs I think is also coming out with a PnP standalone. But IMO it's useless without a fuel solution.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:52 AM
jazzwu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just stumbled upon this thread. Interesting build and color me subscribed.

In addition ESMOTOR did 60 to 130 on their otherwise stock but tuned 997 turbo s in 6.7 seconds. Just a custom cobb tune.

Full bolt on (methanol injection or race fuel don't remember) they're got somebody down to mid 5s 60 to 130 mph. Stock turbos and fuel system and clutch pack.

And Longboarder does race events in his full bolt on turbo s and averages 6 flat 60 to 130 also. They beat fbo e85 gtrs from roll and dig.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:11 PM
strummr
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by changster123
Next will be full Tractive DDA coilovers. I track this car enough to justify coilovers. If you don't track then this isn't needed IMO.

If someone came out with a flex fuel E85 solution, I'd do that too. It would need port injection (12 injectors).

Syvecs I think is also coming out with a PnP standalone. But IMO it's useless without a fuel solution.
To cite specific data from the various model years, the 2013 Black Edition did record the best recorded performance numbers. (0-60 2.7, 1/4 11.1)

I would love to look further into the fueling requirements to run a flex-fuel, or E85 setup for the TTS, but as the GT-R, I would also be concerned about the torque ratings on the stock PDK. (on the GT-R, was running 1700cc injectors and Fore Innovations stage 3 fueling)

Did you install headers? Was thinking of Europipe for exhaust, but your thought that downpipes and stock is functionally more than adequate, might be the way. (especially if the sound is improved slightly - I personally want no part of the former Boostlogic, GT-R level)

In regards to suspension, I live 20 miles from TPC (until later in the summer, when I move), so I can readily ping them for the suspension bits/knowledge.

Great build so far… love the balanced approach. (handling and power) I’m also trying to max out the TTS without doing any motor or tranny work. I think you stated the same goal.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:39 PM
changster123
Racer

Originally Posted by strummr
To cite specific data from the various model years, the 2013 Black Edition did record the best recorded performance numbers. (0-60 2.7, 1/4 11.1)

I would love to look further into the fueling requirements to run a flex-fuel, or E85 setup for the TTS, but as the GT-R, I would also be concerned about the torque ratings on the stock PDK. (on the GT-R, was running 1700cc injectors and Fore Innovations stage 3 fueling)

Did you install headers? Was thinking of Europipe for exhaust, but your thought that downpipes and stock is functionally more than adequate, might be the way. (especially if the sound is improved slightly - I personally want no part of the former Boostlogic, GT-R level)

In regards to suspension, I live 20 miles from TPC (until later in the summer, when I move), so I can readily ping them for the suspension bits/knowledge.

Great build so far… love the balanced approach. (handling and power) I’m also trying to max out the TTS without doing any motor or tranny work. I think you stated the same goal.
I didn't install headers. All stock except downpipes for the exhaust for me. Headers don't do anything IMO. Europipe looks great. If I did it all over again and want to install an exhaust, that's what I'd choose. And I'd use stock tips. I think the stock tips look the best given the shape of the exhaust opening of the bumper. I couldn't stand round tips inside the squarish opening. But that's me.

Yes TPC is great. They know how to set things up.

Lastly on the PDK - I'll bet it's much stronger than the GR6 stock for stock. But who knows, since nobody has done an E85 setup yet.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:48 AM
changster123
Racer

Update - ordered the final stage of suspension upgrades with TPC Racing.

Tractive DDA RTx coilovers with track spring rates
Rear subframe bushings
Rear 997.2 Cup LCA's
Rear toe links
Sway bar endlinks with teflon joint covers for reduced NVH

Can't wait to get them, install them, and dial them in. I will for sure review them after spending time with them.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:28 AM
changster123
Racer

Pic of suspension stuff.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:29 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

Can't wait to hear about your impressions especially for ordinary road use on poor surfaces. I hear the springs clang a bit too occasionally and there is more NVH?
Old 06-14-2017, 10:50 PM
changster123
Racer

Originally Posted by IMI A
Can't wait to hear about your impressions especially for ordinary road use on poor surfaces. I hear the springs clang a bit too occasionally and there is more NVH?
Yes for sure I will be posting reviews as I get more seat time.

I've done my suspension in steps because I really want to know and feel every change. I want to know why something has changed. I've been to the track at least 15 days in the last year. I've done small incremental setup changes on the same track (alignment, sways, etc) and I've gotten much faster as a driver as well. I can honestly say at this point I'm quite familiar with this car, quite familiar with my home track, and pretty sensitive to changes in the car dynamics due to setup changes.

Even though I have all the hardware here ready, I'm going to first install everything BUT the Tractives. I'm going to install the rear subframe bushings, rear LCA's, toe links, and drop links first and get an alignment. I want to drive like this for at least a couple weeks to see how it feels and also see if I can take it to the track.

After that I'll the Tractives and repeat again.

Notice I have two sets of springs. I have the intermediate spring rates on the coilovers right now. Eventually at some point in the future I'll throw on the full track spring rates and repeat yet again.

I will for sure write about each step of the way. Including the street impressions.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:40 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

Superb!
Old 06-15-2017, 07:28 PM
changster123
Racer

Here're a couple pics of the LN Engineering deep oil sump and oil pickup extension. I am hoping to reduce my oil temps a bit. It adds about 2-2.5 quarts of oil. I also hope it helps with any sort of possible oil starvation IF one day I run semi/full slicks.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:32 AM
changster123
Racer

The deep oil sump is about 13cm above the ground installed. This is without lowering the car and before installing the Tractive coilovers.

I hope nothing hits that thing!

Old 06-17-2017, 05:29 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

That sits low. How much lower with tractives?
Old 06-18-2017, 12:32 PM
changster123
Racer

Originally Posted by JG 996T
I've installed everything except the Tractives. I want to experience every change first. But I'll install them very soon... like maybe in a week or two. I'll measure the clearance and take pics after.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:39 AM
changster123
Racer

All the suspension parts are now installed. Rear Cup LCA's, Tractive DDA shocks on intermediate springs, swaybar drop links, etc.

The car is now corner balanced and aligned.

I have put a decent amount of street miles on this setup and let me tell you, this setup is really really awesome. On intermediate springs (TPC has 3 choices and I chose intermediate), PASM off is softer than OEM PASM off, and PASM on is much stiffer than OEM PASM on. The dynamic range (as expected) is way way wider than OEM Bilstein's.

PASM off is very very comfortable and it handles street bumps very noticeably better than OEM.

I drive a lot on twisty mountain roads pushing near track level speeds. There's no babying anything on the street. You'd go to jail if you were in the US, but here it doesn't matter. I use PASM OFF and it gives me so much confidence pushing to higher levels than I ever did with OEM. I go WOT earlier on exit, I push through big elevation drops at higher throttle position than ever, and I'm 100% certain I am faster.

I will confirm things at the track ASAP.

The cornering speeds and turn in response I think also has a lot to do with a more aggressive alignment on camber/toe. But the absorption, compliance, and confidence definitely has a lot to do with the damper.

Again, bear in mind these are the INTERMEDIATE springs. I don't see anyone needing the STREET springs at all. Again, PASM off is very very noticeably more compliant than OEM soft mode while giving better handling.

I actually bought a set of "TRACK ONLY" springs from TPC and I may even throw these on for the street to try.

Some pictures of corner bal and alignment:

BEFORE corner balancing WITH 75kg driver sitting.

AFTER corner balancing WITH 77kg driver sitting.

Alignment specs. I will go even more aggressive before I take it to the track.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:44 AM
changster123
Racer

Originally Posted by JG 996T
With Tractive's, ride height as measured from the middle of the fender to the ground, front is 26 inches and rear is 26.7 inches before corner balancing. After corner balancing each corner is slightly different of course.

This was measured on the level alignment rack with all tires at 35psi.

As far as how low is that deeper oil pan, I'll measure it soon.

Quick Reply: Changster's 997.2 TTS, pics mods etc