Sponsored by:

Black paint care

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 03:36 PM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Black paint care

Black paint sure looks god when it's clean but has the reputation of being a challenging color to maintain. Any tips? Plan on clear bra (expel) front bumpers, hood, mirrors and perhaps fenders. Opticoat is another option I'm going to look into. Appreciate feedback from owners and paint/detail experts.

Last edited by waizone; 02-19-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:51 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you've got it perfect (after paint correction) the biggest challenge is not mucking up what has been accomplished. So you wanna make sure you use the 3 bucket method, which is one for wheels and the other two for the car. And buy a foam gun. Nothing makes washing a car easier than a foam gun. My point though, is that you want to make sure that you're not introducing any scratches to the car. That way the paint will have maximum shine. So you need to make sure you're starting at the top and working your way down, wiping it horizontally with the sponge definitely not in a circle. Otherwise, you just got to wash it a lot.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:55 PM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have basalt black and that's a bit easier to take care of than solid black. I have Xpel clear bra and those sections are easier to clean than the rest of the car.
I clayed, then used Menzerna FG400 on a dual action and Poorboy's Black Hole (formulated for black cars) for maintenance. For quick detailing and to refresh the gloss, I use Carpro Reload.

Other wheels pictured...

Old 02-19-2016, 06:45 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I love Menzerna FG400. Best polish I've used for black cars. I use Sonax Nano as a final polish and then top with Polymer Netshield. Voila!

This spring I need to do the wife's black Odyssey. I'm dreading that one
Old 02-19-2016, 06:50 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Menzerna FG400 is by far the best compound I've ever used and it finishes up like a polish. Can't beat it. Think they changed the name recently to SF3000 or something of that nature.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:19 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

I get annoyed with the fact that Menzern seems to rename everything every couple of years. Their PO85RD was my favorite jeweling Polish for soft black paint when I was detailing professionally. Believe the current reference is SF4500.

if this car will be a nice weather weekend toy that is garaged you can keep black looking amazing most of the time if you have the discipline to adopt proper detailing techniques. If you don't think you can be that dedicated (2 bucket wash, foam gun, etc every time plus regular polishing) it'll never look right.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:29 PM
Southpaw
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
I get annoyed with the fact that Menzern seems to rename everything every couple of years. Their PO85RD was my favorite jeweling Polish for soft black paint when I was detailing professionally. Believe the current reference is SF4500.
I just picked up SF4500 too.....if it's the same exact thing as the FG400 I already have, that would suck.

Oh and another thing regarding black cars, I dry using a Metrovac car dryer. I use a drying towel as little as possible.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:32 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Originally Posted by OhSoCal
I just picked up SF4500 too.....if it's the same exact thing as the FG400 I already have, that would suck. Oh and another thing regarding black cars, I dry using a Metrovac car dryer. I use a drying towel as little as possible.
SF4500 is different, you're ok!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:39 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by zirrah
SF4500 is different, you're ok!
+1. Fg400 is a heavy polish / compound based on its description. I e never personally used it.

4500 has almost no cut at all. I used it for difficult soft paints where 2 stages of polishing would not finish to my liking and required a 3rd stage to finish out well. With any other polish you can add cut by changing the pad you use it with.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:41 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sonax EX 04-06 on a green pad. Best out there.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:01 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^Agree on the Sonax Profiline. There is some controversy in detailing circles about it but I love it. So easy to use (and I was a Menzerna loyalist) but a bit pricey. I've had success using it on an orange foam or white hybrid pad.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:03 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
+1. Fg400 is a heavy polish / compound based on its description. I e never personally used it.

4500 has almost no cut at all. I used it for difficult soft paints where 2 stages of polishing would not finish to my liking and required a 3rd stage to finish out well. With any other polish you can add cut by changing the pad you use it with.
It is indeed a heavy compound, but it has diminishing abrasives in it so that as it goes it cuts less and less until some magic happens and it finishes like a polish. It's pretty awesome. Occasionally you have to use another polish to finish up, but not often.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:22 AM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I have to add on black cars, is that some wax over sealer combinations that work great on lighter cars can leave a white sheen that's visible on the black. Be prepared to re-do some work if you're trying some unproven combos.
Old 02-20-2016, 10:18 AM
johnbelk
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my Black 09 997.1TT back in Dec, the used Porsche Dealership had ceramic coated the car's paint. The owner told me that each panel was coated three times and that the process was labor intensive. I believe he said I could expect to pay $1200 to do so...
I love black cars, trucks, etc... but not the maintenance that comes with it.
Maybe a stupid question, but how long does the ceramic coating last? I do admit, after 3 months the car continues to look fantastic... But, I've only washed it once and use a Mother's detailer to keep it clean...
Is this a good option for those that are very time limited, but love black or darker color painted cars? Are there negatives to ceramic coating?
JB

Old 02-20-2016, 11:19 AM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^ depending on the coating it should last for years.

Quick Reply: Black paint care