Sponsored by:

(5) Owners Cause for Concern?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 09:41 AM
RogueM3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (5) Owners Cause for Concern?

Generally when I run a CarFax and see multiple owners, I begin to worry that the car is something of a Lemon and if sold at Auction thats a sign of a car a dealer preferring to wholesale and get rid of a vehicle as opposed to putting on the lot due to condition, etc. With my 996TT, I was owner #4 and the car was 9 years old. With the car below, I'd be owner #6 in 9 years.

I have been perusing the market and found what looks like a great non-silver/black '07 with under 30k miles, PCCB, Carbon Interior, etc. for ~$74k. Price doesn't seem atrocious but I think $70k would be ideal if not for the (5) previous owners. Also, this car was sold at Auction 3 years ago and I always worry the only vehicles sent to auction are those with some underlying issues as the dealer otherwise would have placed the car on the lot.

Am I being too much of a worrier?

Jack
Old 12-20-2015, 10:16 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueM3
Generally when I run a CarFax and see multiple owners, I begin to worry that the car is something of a Lemon and if sold at Auction thats a sign of a car a dealer preferring to wholesale and get rid of a vehicle as opposed to putting on the lot due to condition, etc. With my 996TT, I was owner #4 and the car was 9 years old. With the car below, I'd be owner #6 in 9 years.

I have been perusing the market and found what looks like a great non-silver/black '07 with under 30k miles, PCCB, Carbon Interior, etc. for ~$74k. Price doesn't seem atrocious but I think $70k would be ideal if not for the (5) previous owners. Also, this car was sold at Auction 3 years ago and I always worry the only vehicles sent to auction are those with some underlying issues as the dealer otherwise would have placed the car on the lot.

Sometimes Carfax can be confusing when it comes to ownership - you may find that 1 or more of the previous owners were actually dealers holding title during an interim period. You already were a multi-owner with your 996 - I wouldn't worry about it if the PPI checks.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:05 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueM3

Jack
I think i know the car you are pertaining too.
The only way to know is to ppi and drive the car.
But it does make you wonder why a car withall the bells and whistles is being wholesaled. huh?
Old 12-20-2015, 11:34 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jack,
Cars go to auction for a variety of reasons so I don't know if that would be a concern. I would pay more attention to how the owners treated the 997 so that's where a good PPI by a reputable service facility will make all the difference and can readily identify the life/and or % of life left on the PCCB's for instance. Also being able to review the maintenance history in advance of making an offer should assist in your decision making.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:28 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If PPI checks out, I don't see it's an issue.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:57 PM
Steven954
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AutoCheck

I would run an Autocheck as well as a Carfax report... About 2 years I purchased a jeep which showed a clean carfax but on Autocheck later found out it was sold out of state at an auction with an issue involving title, forgot the specifics but I was pissed. When I purchased the car seller showed me a clean carfax report but when I tried to sell it I saw this issue and took a hit... Live and learn. Worth the extra whatever they charge to get an extra report...
Old 12-20-2015, 09:03 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't care about the amount of ownerships but I do care about service records, PPI, and driving test
Old 12-20-2015, 09:12 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
I don't care about the amount of ownerships but I do care about service records, PPI, and driving test
My last C4S, an 09 997, had 3 owners before it landed to me. That car is pristine. Look at my signature, I wish I did not sell it.
It proves to you that ownership numbers does not say anything about a car.

I had a F430 with 4000 miles when I bought it, I doubt that it had low miles. Why? It has more wear and tear than the my C4S which I traded.am happy I was able to trade it in 1 year to my SCUD for the same amount I bought it.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:20 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appreciate the input all!

As mentioned, I'm not in a super hurry to purchase and would most definitely have a PPI performed on the car I ultimately choose. Makes sense that the PPI would trump number of owners....though I know if the number of owners has given me pause, it may well cause a future buyer to hesitate when I resell.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:46 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

you have a point but I bought my C4S and traded it in in 3 months for the same amount I bought it.

Its a 997TT MT and with PCCB. I don't think you will have a problem selling it. Show that you took care of it and people will notice that, keep receipts.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:49 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Especially with high end cars. You Will see more change of ownership due to lack of use. When I was searching for an F355 in the past I've seen one with 9 owners with 10k miles and all the services has been done and was pristine. As these cars get older, you will see change in ownership more often but it comes down to service maintenance and overall history and condition.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:01 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Common for a car like this to be shopped between a few high end tertiary dealers, I bet most of the owners were 1-2 months.
My previous slant 930 had about 8 previous owners (4 in same family), recently resold for big bucks.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:39 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Common for a car like this to be shopped between a few high end tertiary dealers, I bet most of the owners were 1-2 months.
My previous slant 930 had about 8 previous owners (4 in same family), recently resold for big bucks.
This is exactly right. If car fax shows owners who "owned" the car for 2-3 months then it was 99% likely a dealer transfer.
Old 12-21-2015, 01:58 PM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Car was Porsche of N Houston for couple days and then went to auction. That alone made me nervous.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:49 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by waizone
Car was Porsche of N Houston for couple days and then went to auction. That alone made me nervous.
That would make me a little nervous too but when did the transfer to auction occur? Majority of cars coming off lease go to auction, Just a thought But if it was after the first owner then it may have been a lease return that was sent to auction by the bean counters.

Quick Reply: (5) Owners Cause for Concern?