Sponsored by:

Introduction

Old 12-09-2015, 11:07 AM
gogoevo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Introduction

Hello, Rennlist!

My first post. Previous cars included evo mr, e92 m3, gt-r, and a f80 m3, in that order.

I'm currently in the market for a 997.2 turbo or turbo S. I have been reading a lot the last few weeks (rennlist and other sites) as I search for the right car. I must admit that trying to decipher all the different options between the two has my head spinning. I can usually find what I'm looking for, but in this case, it almost seems deliberately obfuscated. I did find a thread that discuses the two but it didn't really answer the question, and I really didn't want to resurrect the thread with my first post.

I'm really not looking for a debate on the two in terms of value, etc, just the differences.

So, here it is again.......

997.2 tt vs. 997.2 tts What are the option and/or feature differences? In other words, what does the "S" have that the non-S does not? What boxes can I check on the Turbo that are already on the Turbo S?

For example, and as I understand it - the 997.2 tts comes with a locking diff, whereas the 997.2 tt does not. It's these types of questions that I'm looking for answers to. The one thing I'm sure of is that the "S" has more hp/tq.

Many thanks!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:27 PM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The S has additionally to the non-S:

1. Adaptive seats with 3 memory (brilliant and worth it)
2. Torque vectoring (PTV) (excellent and worth it, really noticeable on road, and comes with mechanical LSD)
3. Dynamic Engine Mounts (DEM) (clever but probably only valuable on a track day)
4. PDK with paddle steering wheel (PDK brilliant but a personal thing, paddle wheel better than stupid switches). On a non-S, when combined with Sport Chrono gives you Sport Plus mode including Launch Control
5. Ceramic brakes (great, theoretically unlimited life, but monumentally expensive and unsuited to other than 1-2 track days p.a. as they get worn out)
6. Sports Chrono Pack -(essential) the clock thingy but more importantly a Sport mode which gives launch control (on non-S this also gives 10 secs overboost which gives you S torque for overtaking), and Sport Plus (see 4)
7. 30bhp more (nice but in reality not terribly noticeable unless tracking) and 50Nm more torque 100% of time
8. Carbon fibre air box (who cares, it's under the hood)
9. Centre lock wheels (you need special equipment for home wheel changes - i.e. 600ft lb torque wrench)
10. Cruise control (personal choice)
11. 6-disc changer (who cares these days)
12. Dynamic Cornering Lights (excellent) steer to the roadd ahead

I have a non-S, but very fortunately with 1-4, 6, 10 & 12 incl. which make it rather good as the poor man's S... And steel discs are cheap...
Old 12-09-2015, 12:31 PM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Sorry and the S has an option of two-tone leather interior.

The Sport Chrono Pack option on the non-S includes DEM.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:51 PM
gogoevo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you, RJKflyer, that helps!
Old 12-10-2015, 04:34 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

You're welcome. This is probably evident from my post, but a car without Sports Chrono is undesirable.

The Sport and Sport Plus functions modify (progressively between S and S+ for 2 and 3):
1. Throttle response - sharper (not more bhp obviously)
2. Stability control slip angle - allows 5-15 degrees more 'back out' before stability reins it in
3. PDK box change 'aggressiveness' and speed of change

On the non-S, Sport (and Sport +) DO permit the 'overboost' which gives 50Nm more torque in the midrange (1700 - 4000 rpm) for 10 secs. Hence why I say in real-world situations (e.g. overtaking) the non-S with Sport Chrono is pretty much the equal of the S.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:18 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

"11. 6-disc changer (who cares these days)"

I CARE!!!! LOVES MY CD's.

I didn't realize that the non Turbo's didn't have this feature. Wow, that's odd.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:57 AM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
"11. 6-disc changer (who cares these days)"

I CARE!!!! LOVES MY CD's.

I didn't realize that the non Turbo's didn't have this feature. Wow, that's odd.
Ooops...! No offence meant!

Actually, I do agree completely that any form of MP3/AAC/lossy codec is way below CD quality - juts not sure I can tell so obviously in the car.

Mind you, I think either Dolby/DTS 5.1 discs are outstanding on my Bose - and a huge jump ahead of CDs too.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

My 996 had a 6-disc changer. My 997 does not. I find Bluetooth streaming audio to be acceptable in terms of sound quality in the car.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
My 996 had a 6-disc changer. My 997 does not. I find Bluetooth streaming audio to be acceptable in terms of sound quality in the car.
Just curious as to what product you use for streaming audio via BT.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:49 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Adaptives were a no cost option on the s, comfort seats were standard. Mine (2011tts) also had heated and ventilated adaptives, only one in the country so equipped.
Dstutler, if you have a blue tooth device like the dension, you can stream anything from your iphone thru the audio and reads out on the screen. If you had a sat radio app you can stream that as well, same goes for I heart radio, etc.
my car now has a 'modern' PCM, don't miss a thing!
C
Old 12-13-2015, 02:03 PM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dstutler
I've tried this with Tune2Air.

Remove dit in the end as it just gave too many clicks and dropouts. Shame as it is potentially perfect as you can stream internet radio, traffic camera app output etc.
Old 12-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RJKflyer
I've tried this with Tune2Air. Remove dit in the end as it just gave too many clicks and dropouts. Shame as it is potentially perfect as you can stream internet radio, traffic camera app output etc.
I had a similar situation with mine and was able to fix it by disconnecting the BT connection to PCM.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:09 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Mobridge M2 Pro
Old 12-25-2015, 01:50 PM
RJKflyer
Instructor

I had a similar situation with mine and was able to fix it by disconnecting the BT connection to PCM.
But then the 'phone wouldn't work via PCM?
Old 12-25-2015, 01:51 PM
RJKflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Adaptives were a no cost option on the s, comfort seats were standard.
C
In the UK, Adaptives were std on the S and Comfort the NCO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Introduction