Sponsored by:

My 145 and 157 MPH run

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 10:55 AM
Fatbro
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 993MAN
Don't be to hard on Fatbro for having some fun! Come on. These cars get to that speed ultra fast, so it's like sex, (over in a few seconds....so I'm told)

So you guys are trying to tell others that you have never opened your cars up on a quiet, strait stretch of road? Not even once?

I do sometimes when I can, but on safe roads and when I'm in the mood.

Had he been doing it through a populated area then yeh, reason to strip him, but look at the road!

Thanks, Just having some fun. If you notice in the video there was not 1 car for miles...Not 1. Including the EVO! LOL. I know this road well and drive it all the time. Its flat, it has no entrances or exits for miles because it is a turnpike.

What's the point of having all this power if you can't use it? Not a trailer queen, and speaking of getting a ruler out......that's for all of you that bought a Porsche to park in your garage and say you own a Porsche. I bought mine to drive it. I would say that this run was pretty safe. I knew my limits...I know the road and the car performed to my liking. I'm not doing it every time I drive it but I will do it again.....One day.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbro
What's the point of having all this power if you can't use it?
Nobody's saying don't use it. Just take it to the appropriate venue. Check out your local PCA region event schedule. There will likely be ample opportunity for you to do this sort of thing in a safe environment. I know for me, the track events have throttled back (pun intended) my enthusiasm for high speed driving on public roads. I still do love taking a cloverleaf freeway entrance really fast, so I can't be too judgmental. :-)
Old 12-08-2015, 11:43 AM
Fatbro
Instructor

Trust me it will make it to the track. My experience in Austin on the track was amazing. Took it down to LeMans and did a hot lap. It was great. The track here kind of sucks. This road was a thousand times better then the road at the track. So actually I was being safer.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 781 Posts

I think that everyone on this board is a Porsche enthusiast and likes to drive their car. Anyone who tells you that they have never broken the speed limit in their 997 turbo is telling you a lie. That being said, there are limits. I think the limits apply not only because of the driving skills of the driver, but because of the unknowns. Other drivers on public roads aren't prepared to deal with a car that is exceeding 150 mph. Public roads aren't designed for that speed, and the seemingly small dip in the road at 65 mph can launch a car at 150 mph.

The only time that I've driven that fast on a public road was on one of the unlimited speed sections of the Autobahn, south of Stuttgart. Even on roads that are designed for that speed and with drivers that are expecting that speed, it's a white knuckle experience.

I agree with the others on the board who suggest the track. It's a great way to explore the limits of the car and the driver. Even autocross is fun, although it's at much slower speeds.

I know that I disappoint that guy at the gas station who comes up to me while I'm filling my 997 turbo and asks: "How fast have you been in that car?". My answer is always that I've never broken 100 mph.

Last edited by Dennis C; 12-08-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:15 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I would say if you do that no more than 5 or 6 more times, you will lose your license, go to jail, have skyrocketing insurance, or kill someone. The car could go 300mph and there's no way i am taking that risk on the street. I know it is tempting. Really tempting. But do that a few more times and all the fun is over for a long time.

JMHO
Old 12-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't think of doing those speeds on a public road. Yes, I've gone over the speed limit but have never gone above 120 in the PCar. I did drive my 2005 Corvette 147 on Taladega in Alabama but that was a closed, banked raceway.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Fatbro
Instructor

I get it guys and gals.....You didn't like the fact that I drove fast on an open flat road without a car in site. I get the point.

This state is an "absolute" speed limit law state. So it doesn't matter if you are 1 MPH over or 50MPH over the speed limit you will get a ticket, get arrested or lose your license. So for all of you saying you haven't gone this fast but you have broken the law by driving 100 or 120 there is no difference. Have a blow out at 80MPH or hit a deer and see what happens. The risk it there either way.

I appreciate everyone being concerned about my safety. I will post the video of the track run with other cars on it almost hitting me and you can decide which one you think is safer

Now everyone lighten up and enjoy the video. Next video will be on the track!!!
Old 12-10-2015, 11:33 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm guilty and hit those speeds in my 997tt and XFR.

Empty road.

How can you own a super fast car and not hit the triple digits? Heck ... Flooring it at 70 to pass somebody and you will hit 100-110 quick.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:28 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Oh we all speed from time to time.

But we don't all film ourselves doing incriminating things and post it on the Internet.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:08 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the any deer in the area..? Only takes one
Old 12-13-2015, 02:12 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Oh we all speed from time to time. But we don't all film ourselves doing incriminating things and post it on the Internet.
Amen! Just looking for trouble, if you get stopped.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:18 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Aren't you worried this thread and video will fall into the hands of the law?
Old 12-18-2015, 09:15 AM
xxdachosen1xx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People can be such snobby buzzkills on this forum, Fatbro wasn't asking for advice on road safety he is having fun with his car which is exactly what should be doing. You don't have to lecture him folks I'm sure he knows all full well the risks of high speed driving on public highways, he's an adult for god sakes.

Fatbro enjoy your car and your mods, nice video dude!
Old 12-18-2015, 10:05 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by xxdachosen1xx
People can be such snobby buzzkills on this forum, Fatbro wasn't asking for advice on road safety he is having fun with his car which is exactly what should be doing. You don't have to lecture him folks I'm sure he knows all full well the risks of high speed driving on public highways, he's an adult for god sakes. Fatbro enjoy your car and your mods, nice video dude!
Would you make the same argument in defense of a drunk driver? Both scenarios incorporate some level of potential risk to innocent bystanders.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:18 AM
Fatbro
Instructor

Originally Posted by xxdachosen1xx
People can be such snobby buzzkills on this forum, Fatbro wasn't asking for advice on road safety he is having fun with his car which is exactly what should be doing. You don't have to lecture him folks I'm sure he knows all full well the risks of high speed driving on public highways, he's an adult for god sakes. Fatbro enjoy your car and your mods, nice video dude!
It's not worth arguing with them. Most of them feel it's ok to drive 5,10,15,20 even 30 over the speed limit in traffic passing other cars but are lecturing me over this. 1 over or 50 over its breaking the law. Watch the video, the only person at risk was me. And I chose to do it. I drive this highway all the time and I know it well. Not a car for miles and no traffic. Flat roads and long straight aways. Speed limit 75 and everyone drives 90-100 with traffic.

Enjoy the video. More to come.

Quick Reply: My 145 and 157 MPH run