Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 10:14 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

soon2be, please PM TT Surgeon. I don't want the thread moved OT. Thanks..
Old 12-06-2015, 07:02 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Question. Living at altitude (Colorado) what would this do for a 997.2 TT?
Old 12-06-2015, 08:38 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

make it produce a bit less power since the air is not as dense. Kevin's custom tunes will adjust for altitude among many other things though.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:15 PM
RugRunner
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a Durametric (which I have come to find out isn't able to pull data such as timing), is there some other alternate way to Datalog just to make sure your engine is running properly, not going outside of timing constraints, etc?
Old 12-07-2015, 11:23 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by RugRunner
If you have a Durametric (which I have come to find out isn't able to pull data such as timing), is there some other alternate way to Datalog just to make sure your engine is running properly, not going outside of timing constraints, etc?
This is a question I've been meaning to ask. Very keen on a tune, but don't want to waste anyone's time (or my money) on starting down the path only to find the car isn't running 100% and needs remediation.

I have access to a Durametric, and would like to be able to run diagnostics prior to tuning.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:46 PM
RugRunner
Racer

Originally Posted by nzskater
This is a question I've been meaning to ask. Very keen on a tune, but don't want to waste anyone's time (or my money) on starting down the path only to find the car isn't running 100% and needs remediation.

I have access to a Durametric, and would like to be able to run diagnostics prior to tuning.
I think the main thing is that there are different levels of diagnostic data that can be pulled. If I'm understanding properly, a Durametric will pull more "Macro" level data and things like timing, etc, that will dive deep into the true operation of the motor are more "Micro" level.

I'd like to be able to pull this more intricate data, have it looked at and then determine if my GIAC tune is allowing my car to operate within healthy tolerances and if not...then I would look to another (UMW) source for a tune.

My fundamental question is: how would I/what can I use/borrow/etc to pull that data?
Old 12-08-2015, 03:32 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't care about anything.

The minute I'm out of warranty I'm buying this.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:09 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by 993MAN
I don't care about anything.

The minute I'm out of warranty I'm buying this.
I'm pretty pleased with the tune so far. Just datalogging last night and the data looks pretty good to me.

Durametric can't log enough variables in sufficient quantity (i.e sampling rate) to be useful. You could log maybe 1 or 2 things, but I still think it would only sample once a second.

Kevins tool logs about a dozen sensors at least 25 times a second

There is no comparison

Last edited by Quadcammer; 12-08-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:44 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm pretty pleased with the tune so far. Just datalogging last night and the data looks pretty good to me.

Durametric can't log enough variables in sufficient quantity (i.e sampling rate) to be useful. You could log maybe 1 or 2 things, but I still think it would only sample once a second.

Kevins tool logs about a dozen sensors at least twice a second.

There is no comparison
Huh? Twice a second is considered fast?

I just last night logged with my durametric (ver. 6.2.3.5), I'm getting 25 parameters at about 6 to 7 times a second. You must setup the Durametric to the Fastest sampling rate, but it works..

What am I missing here, also with RugRunner saying he can't log timing info?
I can log timing, misfires by cylinder, and timing retardation by cylinder...

Sure Durametric isn't perfect, but it can certainly passable for this kind of stuff..

I'm certainly no expert, so maybe I'm missing something obvious?
Old 12-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin

I just last night logged with my durametric (ver. 6.2.3.5), I'm getting 25 parameters at about 6 to 7 times a second. You must setup the Durametric to the Fastest sampling rate, but it works..

Sure Durametric isn't perfect, but it can certainly passable for this kind of stuff..

sorry, twice a second was an asinine statement. I'm not sure where I came up with that.

Its more like 25 times a second.

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:43 PM
RugRunner
Racer

Originally Posted by saabin

Can you log timing and such with a Durametric? I was under the impression you couldn't...but as a result, I haven't tried, either. I just want to make sure that I'm not detonating or anything funky. I'll take a safe motor over an additional 20hp any day.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:27 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

RugRunner. you can log timing but KNOCK and detonation cannot be successfully seen (it is not comprehensible) at HIGH sample rates PER cylinder.

Ultimate Motorwerks is selling tuning, the tuning module has the ability to READ and Write multiple tuning files AND datalog for 13 minutes. A "Windows" based desktop computer or laptop is required to view the logs and/or email tuning files. Please note: for those that want a quick and painless tuning method, the tuning module has the ability to be PLUG AND PLAY. READ your stock file, send me the module, I supply a tuned file based on your CAR.. Not canned. IF you want to then datalog (again plug and play)>> it can be done without the use of a computer..
Old 12-12-2015, 02:43 PM
Jean-marc Rif
Intermediate

Placed my order today, can't wait to receive my tune !
Old 01-10-2016, 07:58 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Bump for the New Year!
Old 01-15-2016, 06:09 PM
Jean-marc Rif
Intermediate

Default UMW Tune First Impressions

I have owned my TT and used it as a daily driver for the past four years. For more than a year now I have been searching online for the best tune for my car. Finally settled for UMW for two reasons, the first being that they were offering a seasonal discount, and the second and more important being that UMW are selling a tune specifically prepared for every customer car through Kevin the guy behind the company who seems to be a reference on the forum when it comes to Turbos . After having sorted out the financial details of the purchase, I received the tuning device by Fedex and followed the super clear instructions provided by email. The tune happens in two phases, the first being collecting the existing factory data from the car, and in my case performing and logging a twelve minute performance drive in the car. I then emailed the files to UMW and received a day later the tuned software which I downloaded into the car via the tuning device. The process was so easy to do, I initially thought that I had missed something and that the car was still running on its stock software. Until I turned on the ignition and drove away on the 10 mile accommodation run recommended by Kevin. The car felt immediately different, even at the slightest contact with the gas pedal, you feel it super responsive and overly alert. The performance curve is more linear, you get a constant stream of power rather than a lag and then a sudden burst of power you get in stock mode. It is really surprising to see how much the tune ameliorates the character of the car at low rpms and in normal city driving conditions. After having passed the 15 mile mark, I finally got to try flooring the pedal, and boy was I in for a big surprise ! It's a Turbo on steroids, so much so that I quickly stopped the maneuver as traffic had been fairly dense, and flooring the pedal got me quickly too close to the car in front of me that seemed pretty far away at first.

It's my second day running the tune, and the weekend is here so I get to discover more of my "new car". To all the guys on the fence about a tune I tell you to go for it, it's worth every penny spent. My experience with Kevin was very professional, I got the feeling that he really knows what he is doing, and that my car and its internal engine components are within their safety limits with this tune.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Motorwerks 997TT Tuning Special $975.00