Notices

Need 997.1 Turbocharger

 
Old 11-03-2015, 09:38 PM
  #1  
TNR911
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
TNR911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 108
Default Need 997.1 Turbocharger

Hello all,

My left turbo has worn out and I need a replacement. Porsche is now charging 4k for rebuilt 997.1 turbochargers. Does anyone know of a reputable, quality shop that could do a rebuild and/or have a line on OEM turbocharger stock?

Thanks in advance.
TNR911 is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 09:49 PM
  #2  
vr6tee
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 14
Default

I have both stock turbos with 8000 miles on them. Pm me if you're interested.
vr6tee is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 10:17 PM
  #3  
TNR911
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
TNR911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 108
Default

PM sent
TNR911 is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 10:57 PM
  #4  
shadow993
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
shadow993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Plano Texas
Posts: 2,176
Default

Originally Posted by TNR911 View Post
Hello all, My left turbo has worn out and I need a replacement. Porsche is now charging 4k for rebuilt 997.1 turbochargers. Does anyone know of a reputable, quality shop that could do a rebuild and/or have a line on OEM turbocharger stock? Thanks in advance.

Off topic... How many miles on your car??
shadow993 is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 11:02 PM
  #5  
TNR911
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
TNR911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 108
Default

49k
TNR911 is offline  
Old 11-03-2015, 11:22 PM
  #6  
shadow993
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
shadow993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Plano Texas
Posts: 2,176
Default

Originally Posted by TNR911 View Post
49k
Thx... Only 30k more miles to go.
shadow993 is offline  
Old 11-04-2015, 12:37 AM
  #7  
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member


Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Northwest
Posts: 8,522
Default

Did you have any actuator codes? Is your ECU tuned? Yes, I can repair these turbochargers.. Replacing the bearings and sealing rings is the easy part. Troubleshooting the "cause of failure" is the hard thing. It sucks to rebuild the center section only to have it fail again due to a sticking vane>> Doesn't stick when the turbo is cold.. It binds when it's 850 degrees C
Kevin is offline  
Old 11-04-2015, 12:17 PM
  #8  
alexb76
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
alexb76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,575
Default

What's the OEM Turbocharger? Why can't it be ordered from OEM supplier?
alexb76 is offline  
Old 11-04-2015, 05:19 PM
  #9  
therock88
User
 
therock88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 706
Default

Originally Posted by alexb76 View Post
What's the OEM Turbocharger? Why can't it be ordered from OEM supplier?
Borg Warner - VTG's

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/products/vtg.aspx

BW Part Number: * 5304 988 0061
OEM Part Number: 997.123.013.74
Manufacturer: Porsche
Vehicle: 911 Turbo (997)
Engine: 997 Top
From: 8/14/2007
Power (kW/HP): 353/480

BW Part Number: * 5304 988 0060
OEM Part Number: 997.123.014.73
Manufacturer: Porsche
Vehicle: 911 Turbo (997)
Engine: 997 Top
From: 6/11/2007
Power (kW/HP): 353/480

DC

Last edited by therock88; 11-04-2015 at 10:57 PM.
therock88 is offline  
Old 11-05-2015, 01:39 AM
  #10  
elite1
User
 
elite1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 292
Default

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Did you have any actuator codes? Is your ECU tuned? Yes, I can repair these turbochargers.. Replacing the bearings and sealing rings is the easy part. Troubleshooting the "cause of failure" is the hard thing. It sucks to rebuild the center section only to have it fail again due to a sticking vane>> Doesn't stick when the turbo is cold.. It binds when it's 850 degrees C
So, your good for another 50K with refurbishment? Are you stating that the VTG could bind or fuse at 850C?

Glad to see you can do this Kevin. Can you also provide an upgrade at the same time?
elite1 is offline  
Old 11-05-2015, 02:35 AM
  #11  
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member


Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
Kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Northwest
Posts: 8,522
Default

It's easy troubleshooting a non VNT turbocharger failure.. Oil contamination, oil starvation, heat damage, foreign object damage (compressor or turbine side) and external conditions such as bypass valve failures and compressor wheel burst due to overspeeding the rotating assy.

Additionally, with this turbo failures occur if the actuator fail OR if the vanes stick.. If the vanes stick or warp the turbocharger is write off. The cost of replacement plus the damaged center section exceed the cost of a new turbo. These turbochargers are failing, the 993TT also have a high failure rate due to excessive oil (leaking and smoking)..

This turbocharger can be fixed successfully "IF" the turbine VNT vanes are working correctly, AND if the failure was limited to failed sealing rings. IF it sustained bearing damage, the center section is not worth fixing due to compressor wheel rub (most likely) and scoured metal damage to the turbine wheel shaft.
Kevin is offline  
Old 11-05-2015, 02:43 AM
  #12  
elite1
User
 
elite1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 292
Default

Does this work? Or, Can this be rebuilt into a more efficient turbo? Maybe this is why a 63 is minimum for rebuild?





elite1 is offline  
Old 11-06-2015, 08:03 PM
  #13  
TNR911
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
TNR911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 108
Default

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
It's easy troubleshooting a non VNT turbocharger failure.. Oil contamination, oil starvation, heat damage, foreign object damage (compressor or turbine side) and external conditions such as bypass valve failures and compressor wheel burst due to overspeeding the rotating assy.

Additionally, with this turbo failures occur if the actuator fail OR if the vanes stick.. If the vanes stick or warp the turbocharger is write off. The cost of replacement plus the damaged center section exceed the cost of a new turbo. These turbochargers are failing, the 993TT also have a high failure rate due to excessive oil (leaking and smoking)..

This turbocharger can be fixed successfully "IF" the turbine VNT vanes are working correctly, AND if the failure was limited to failed sealing rings. IF it sustained bearing damage, the center section is not worth fixing due to compressor wheel rub (most likely) and scoured metal damage to the turbine wheel shaft.
What you describe is what I've experienced and my turbo is a write off. The vanes stuck and that was the end. What I've also found is that Porsche seems to have scooped up what stock there was of the 997.1 turbos and are now only offering rebuilt turbos at twice the price of what was being charged for the OEM turbos.

I've been lucky to find a Rennlister who had upgraded his turbos and sold his originals to me at a reasonable cost. I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery. Thank you vr6tee.

Thank you to all on this thread for your help and advice.
TNR911 is offline  
Old 11-07-2015, 03:56 AM
  #14  
alexb76
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
alexb76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,575
Default

Originally Posted by TNR911 View Post
What you describe is what I've experienced and my turbo is a write off. The vanes stuck and that was the end. What I've also found is that Porsche seems to have scooped up what stock there was of the 997.1 turbos and are now only offering rebuilt turbos at twice the price of what was being charged for the OEM turbos.

I've been lucky to find a Rennlister who had upgraded his turbos and sold his originals to me at a reasonable cost. I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery. Thank you vr6tee.

Thank you to all on this thread for your help and advice.
So, do you mean that no other parts supplier could get you a brand new Turbo at a reasonable price, but Porsche?
alexb76 is offline  
Old 11-07-2015, 07:03 AM
  #15  
nzskater
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
nzskater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Auckland, New Zealand. 2006 997.1TT
Posts: 2,353
Default

What is the difference between the variations in the parts catalog? http://www.pepeautoparts.com/porsche...he/997123077ax
Attached Images  
nzskater is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need 997.1 Turbocharger


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: