Sponsored by:

My spun camshaft story

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:17 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

You can ignore people.

click on Speed21s username. then go to "add to list" Then "add to ignore list".

self explanatory after that.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:43 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You can ignore people.

click on Speed21s username. then go to "add to list" Then "add to ignore list".

self explanatory after that.
OMG the best thing ever! but i don't see "add to list" as an option when I click on his username. please elaborate. thx
Old 10-23-2015, 10:55 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Speed21 is now ignored! Look at his profile he was banned at 6speed...wonder why?
Old 10-23-2015, 11:02 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
OMG the best thing ever! but i don't see "add to list" as an option when I click on his username. please elaborate. thx
click on Speed 21 user name
click on "view public profile"
click on "user lists"
click on "add to ignore list"
Old 10-23-2015, 11:05 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Speed21 is now ignored! Look at his profile he was banned at 6speed...wonder why?
Same here, the insane ramblings are now off my screen LOL!!

BTW for others who are interested, you need to click on his name, then go to "view user profile", find the drop down menu under "user lists" and click "add to ignore list".
Old 10-23-2015, 11:06 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

click on Speed 21 user name
click on "view public profile"
click on "user lists"
click on "add to ignore list"
thanks Quad, I'm an engineer I need specific SOPs to get anything done LOL!
Old 10-23-2015, 11:39 AM
xxdachosen1xx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I will tell you I've owned my 07 TT for slightly over one year now and I've had the catastrophic coolant failure, spun camshaft, and oil leak all within one year. As a result my car has spent more than 4-5 months at the dealer getting repaired out of the year i've owned it. All covered under CPO thank goodness. These things do happen so don't point Speed 21 to be crazy, annoying maybe but not crazy. :-)
Old 10-23-2015, 01:02 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Camshaft issue happened to me some time ago. I have it on good authority (his opinion) by someone who builds a lot of these engines that the issues are several. This is what I was told.

All of these engines Turbo and NA have an inherent harmonic issue at low to mid RPM's. The vibrations travel from the Crankshaft up through the chain drives into the valve train. The sleeve that turns is pressed into the end of the camshaft. The same high frequency vibrations cause the sleeves to come loose. The same vibrations causes havoc with Cam timing as well.

He told me that when they regrind the cam profiles they used to remove these sleeves. Some were tighter than others to remove. When measuring the bore in the end of the camshaft, it was found that some bores were bigger than others. This was put down to production tolerances. Maybe this is why some come loose and others don't. The sleeves have an interference fit into the end of the camshaft that should be a minimum which I cannot remember what he said. Sorry.

I was also told that some cars are driven more at the certain engine speeds in the harmonic range. Turbo engines produce a higher toque pulse due to higher cylinder pressures which increases the harmonic forces.

Race engines do not have variable Camshaft control. Recommended fix is to fit the Crankshaft damper and control the harmonics.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:32 PM
bondjockey
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Now that is good information. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:23 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
L Perm, The oils today don't foam and have anti foam agents like calcium in there formulation. All the oil is stored in the large reservoir. The scavenge pump pulls the oil out of the engine case at a very high rate. The oil is pumped to the main reservoir. The second stage or pressure stage of the oil pump pulls oil from the reservoir tank, and supplies oil under pressure to all the engine components>> crankshaft, turbochargers, vario-cam module and lifters... There is no chance of foam or oil starvation... You have all the oil stored in the reservoir.

This failure is a mechanical material/engineering failure. A stamped steel sleeve that is pressed into a cast iron camshaft rotates inside the hollow camshaft bore. It's random with zero notice or pattern. It's like a lottery.

There are a few theory's as to why the sleeve is turning, but they are unrelated to engine oil or lubrication as the cause.. However, when the sleeves turn, they do affect the oil movement to the variocam module..
Thanks for the detailed explanation Kevin. I wasn't trying to blame the spun cam problem on the TDT. I've seen a lot of opinions about the diesel oils, particularly since I have a 928, which uses tappets instead of rollers. The zinc content (ZDDP) in the diesel oils seems to be the big draw there.

There are some who swear that Rotella, et al. are a bad idea, and some that swear there's nothing better. No real evidence offered by anyone.

I'm pulling my 928 engine tomorrow and will be disassembling the heads to some extent. I'll see what the tappets/cams look like, having used Mobile 1 15w-50. I haven't had any problems--just changing the head gaskets and chain tensioner pads.

Louis
Old 10-23-2015, 03:42 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xxdachosen1xx
Well I will tell you I've owned my 07 TT for slightly over one year now and I've had the catastrophic coolant failure, spun camshaft, and oil leak all within one year. As a result my car has spent more than 4-5 months at the dealer getting repaired out of the year i've owned it. All covered under CPO thank goodness. These things do happen so don't point Speed 21 to be crazy, annoying maybe but not crazy. :-)
I didn't block paul because of the technical merits of his arguments, but after 3 years of reading his posts I have earned the right to call him crazy LOL!!!

YMMV but the block function is sweeeeeeeeeeeet
Old 10-23-2015, 04:45 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be in the corner sulking if that happened to me, that's horrible. Did the PPI check out, drive your car hard or too soft?

Luckily my P011 code was just carbon build up on the cam sensors (dealer told me). Hoping this never comes back
Old 10-23-2015, 05:02 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

All cars will have wear and tears and eventually break down at one point, PCCB brakes cost $8-10k, clutch cost $3-5k, PDK cost $10-$15k, spun cam $6-$8k, coolant can be pinned and fixed $3-$5k but it is the price to own luxury high performance cars. I knew Porsche will cost more than Honda parts/labor, but it is the price you gotta pay to play. 9A1 engines still have a few more years and thousands more miles to test it reliability but Mezger has history and heritage. Would I buy another 997TT after knowing all these issues, the answer is "HELL YEAH"
Revise, my SA just called and it was the charcoal canister which is part of the emission cleaning system, no big deal and let not make everyone scare of the camshaft issue. Got a clean bill of health now.

Last edited by gotgolf52; 10-23-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:14 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
2 hours for a clutch when the engine and box are out and on the dolly are a bit much. Guess they did you a 'favor' in allow you to have your own parts fitted.
2 hours doesn't sound excessive to me. For a clutch replacement to be done properly requires more than just unbolting the pressure plate from the flywheel and bolting up a new one. I guess it comes down to how thoroughly you want the job to be done on your beloved Porsche.

Originally Posted by saabin
+1

Stop feeding the animals, folks. The sad thing is when I started this thread I had a strong feeling this would happen..

Scott, thanks for the feedback on the oil..
Thanks for posting your owner experience. It serves as another example of the hardships that can occur and the need for warranty coverage. The rebuttals to my presence were to be expected, that I would agree, as I am interfering directly with a love fest going on from certain members who choose to live in a world of delusion. None the less, I felt it warranted reinforcing the need for warranty protection and as there had been prior comments made by the same illusionists that the newer engine had made no ground in terms of providing a more reliable ownership experience, that also evidently did not sit well with that group of people.

I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion so long as it doesn't interfere with the integrity of their own vehicles track record of reliability, or in this case lack thereof.

Anyway, hope your problem doesn't re surface. I hear it can if the pinning exercise was not employed. It is after all an inherent problem it would appear.

1. yes, people have spun camshafts. I've heard of maybe a dozen examples. Since you know this is a common problem, you have statistics. post them.

2. Sometimes I sure do.

Your post proves you have no objective data and go by what you read on forums. While not always false, where are the numbers. How many 997.1TTs have failed? How many 9A1s have failed?

FACTS....
Your posts prove you had no reason to join this thread other than to defend and appease those who were endeavoring to defend what is obviously the indefensible, and in that process join in on a personal hate fest. I hope you feel the big man now you have received acknowledgement from those few with the same level of intellect as yourself. You rubbish generous owner reviews reporting on Mezger problems, dismissing them as useless drivel, whilst supporting a brand you have no regard for. You must be a real clever guy.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:46 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeRed
In answer to your question, I was banned for the same reason so many others have been banned over there: for calling out indulgent and misleading BS. Out of all the Porsche forums, 6 is widely re-known as ****** HQ, so being banned was an acknowledgement I was clearly not part of a certain ****** and bull****ter demographic which the mods seemingly love protecting there. Numerous good members (and certain vendors) over there, some of whom still show on my user CP, all went out of their way at the time to restore my membership but frankly I'm perfectly good with having nothing to do with the place. Sorry if that doesn't sit well with the truth amongst the haters (and BS lovers) here.

So make no mistake, I wear my banning at 6 like a badge of honor

Originally Posted by aa909
thanks Quad, I'm an engineer I need specific SOPs to get anything done LOL!
Clearly not an Automotive/mechanical one.

Thanks for understanding my posts. I guess my reminding certain folks of their own mortality with regard to their vehicle of choice can be annoying for them. Let the love in continue!

Originally Posted by m42racer
The Camshaft issue happened to me some time ago. I have it on good authority (his opinion) by someone who builds a lot of these engines that the issues are several. This is what I was told.

All of these engines Turbo and NA have an inherent harmonic issue at low to mid RPM's. The vibrations travel from the Crankshaft up through the chain drives into the valve train. The sleeve that turns is pressed into the end of the camshaft. The same high frequency vibrations cause the sleeves to come loose. The same vibrations causes havoc with Cam timing as well.

He told me that when they regrind the cam profiles they used to remove these sleeves. Some were tighter than others to remove. When measuring the bore in the end of the camshaft, it was found that some bores were bigger than others. This was put down to production tolerances. Maybe this is why some come loose and others don't. The sleeves have an interference fit into the end of the camshaft that should be a minimum which I cannot remember what he said. Sorry.

I was also told that some cars are driven more at the certain engine speeds in the harmonic range. Turbo engines produce a higher toque pulse due to higher cylinder pressures which increases the harmonic forces.

Race engines do not have variable Camshaft control. Recommended fix is to fit the Crankshaft damper and control the harmonics.
Now this is why I read and post only on RL! Thank you M42racer!

At last!! Some intelligent technical information being offered without emotionally charged "drivel" and personal hate fests.

Where engine failures are concerned there is always a reason for everything and it is finding that reason that is of greatest interest to me. This information brings it one step closer!

Last edited by speed21; 10-23-2015 at 08:37 PM.

Quick Reply: My spun camshaft story