Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Europipe impressions TTS

Old 08-29-2015, 03:10 PM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Europipe impressions TTS

I got my new Europipe installed on the TTS yesterday and it is FANTASTIC! The sound is perfect, idles with that nice Porsche grunt & rumble, and it pulls right thru with a nice bark on boost. No drone at all cruising, sounds stock under cruise. On downshift throttle blip into turn in sounds like Indy Lights car... In the garage this morning it was reverberating all around, like a sound room. It is absolutely perfect for me, not too loud, just right, changes the personality of car. The car likes it too, breathes easier

I swear it revs quicker. I was driving away form the shop in traffic, warmed it up some, turned right onto an open road and hit it. I was in manual, and hit 6000 RPM in a heartbeat! I better keep a better eye on the tach The guys at the shop were all raving about the craftsmanship of the fit, finish and welds, as well as the sound. The cats are huge, and they barely got it all stuffed in there. It is also lighter than the stock pipe, or so my back says so lifting it in/out of my truck... Also, working with Stef at Europipe was great, such a nice guy, very helpful both with the purchase/shipment and also performance/emissions discussions. They are a First Class outfit.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:46 PM
Zero911
Instructor

Nice! Do you have a tune already? I believe on our 997.2TTs, the stock ECU limits what we can gain from an exhaust upgrade. You'll need a tune to fully take advantage of possible performance gains from the exhaust.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:52 PM
Greg Lab
Racer

Originally Posted by Zero911
Nice! Do you have a tune already? I believe on our 997.2TTs, the stock ECU limits what we can gain from an exhaust upgrade. You'll need a tune to fully take advantage of possible performance gains from the exhaust.
Yes, that's what Stef said as well. To be honest, my head is spinning right now from all the power and performance of the car, I may wait a bit for that...
Old 09-01-2015, 01:10 AM
max95se
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Europipe impressions TTS

That's great! Just added one in my tts too recently and love the sound in sport plus and manual mode. Stef was great! All the way from the initial emails all the way to my installation in the garage through emails! Great piece of art. Enjoy! I've only put about 130 miles so far on the exhaust. Will have more time now to drive it around.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:13 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

ahhhh, the FVD tune may be next?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:35 AM
Greg Lab
Racer

damn tempting
Old 09-02-2015, 10:07 AM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

We're fortunate to have several great exhaust options for the 997.2 TTS. I also went with the EP and have been very happy with the sound. I worked with ProTuning Freaks for my tune and the difference in performance is HUGE! Since you spent the money on a great exhaust, I would definitely take advantage and look at your tuning options.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:22 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If I were you, I wouldn't put a tune on as long as your still under the factory warranty. Not worth it imo.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:30 AM
Greg Lab
Racer

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
If I were you, I wouldn't put a tune on as long as your still under the factory warranty. Not worth it imo.
That is what I am thinking. The warranty expires next March, so probably do GIAC next summer...
Old 09-02-2015, 03:49 PM
proTUNING Freaks
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

997.2 Turbos really don't need much in terms of hardware upgrades to get the most out of them without running into fuel limits. We've custom tuned quite a few so far using the Cobb Accessport and we've got guys running mid 5sec 100-200kph in their vbox acceleration tests on pump gas. Biggest improvements come from derestricting the exhaust as it helps spool up/response as well as lowers EGTs/backpressure both of which increase volumetric efficiency of the motor. Engines are nothing but sophisticated air pumps. The faster and more volume you can move through the motor while keeping airflow as dense on the intake side as possible (highest oxygen density) the more power it'll make with appropriate tuning. The only other upgrade at this current time (while fuel limitation lifting work is in progress still) is adding Aquamist HFS-4 methanol injection which provides for higher octane, cooler air charge, lower EGTs and further changes to tuning for power.

Let us know if we can help in any way at all or if any questions tuning wise regardless of if its a stock/factory tune car or highly modified.

Dzenno@PTF
Old 09-02-2015, 04:31 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

The reason they suggest tuning the ecu is bc the Siemens ecu will detect a drop in back pressure from an am exhaust and pull timing, presumably to save the motor. The other stuff is fine and dandy, but be careful warranty wise with this engine and ecu tuning.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:47 PM
proTUNING Freaks
Former Vendor

The reason they suggest tuning the ecu is bc the Siemens ecu will detect a drop in back pressure from an am exhaust and pull timing, presumably to save the motor. The other stuff is fine and dandy, but be careful warranty wise with this engine and ecu tuning.
Chris,
Having worked with the 997.2 DME tables I'd like to slightly correct you in that statement. 997.2 exhaust (as well as 996 and 991) don't have factory EMAP sensors (exhaust manifold absolute pressure) wired in. There are EGT probes that measure/report exhaust gas temps back to the DME (except the 996 where they're modeled) which then the DME uses to richen up AFRs (dumping fuel to cool things down) for instance in case EGTs get really high.

Dropping backpressure is a wonderful thing for a turbo motor and unless you do something really bad on the post-turbine side you won't ever cause a drop in performance from a derestricted exhaust like you would in an NA motor where maximizing velocity out the exhaust headers/exhaust is key to making power hence why exhaust headers are a popular mod in NA applications.

Tuning is recommended to gain power/torque after derestricting the exhaust as more becomes reliably/safely available through tuning as you can run higher boost levels/ignition timing while keeping EGTs/backpressure in check.

Dzenno@PTF
Old 09-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

I did my FVD tune while still in warranty, and flashed it back before any service visits. It was very very simple.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:34 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks
Chris,
Having worked with the 997.2 DME tables I'd like to slightly correct you in that statement. 997.2 exhaust (as well as 996 and 991) don't have factory EMAP sensors (exhaust manifold absolute pressure) wired in. There are EGT probes that measure/report exhaust gas temps back to the DME (except the 996 where they're modeled) which then the DME uses to richen up AFRs (dumping fuel to cool things down) for instance in case EGTs get really high.

Dropping backpressure is a wonderful thing for a turbo motor and unless you do something really bad on the post-turbine side you won't ever cause a drop in performance from a derestricted exhaust like you would in an NA motor where maximizing velocity out the exhaust headers/exhaust is key to making power hence why exhaust headers are a popular mod in NA applications.

Tuning is recommended to gain power/torque after derestricting the exhaust as more becomes reliably/safely available through tuning as you can run higher boost levels/ignition timing while keeping EGTs/backpressure in check.

Dzenno@PTF
What you say is true, but......
If you look at timing and ignition angles immediately after just an exhaust swap on a 997.2tt and again a few months later you'll see the correction, ie backing off timing to protect the motor. Both Stef at europipe and ***** at fvd will tell you the same thing, hence why they both recommend an ecu tune in those cars. Porsche motor sports NA will tell you the same thing.
C
Old 09-02-2015, 09:54 PM
proTUNING Freaks
Former Vendor

What you say is true, but......
If you look at timing and ignition angles immediately after just an exhaust swap on a 997.2tt and again a few months later you'll see the correction, ie backing off timing to protect the motor. Both Stef at europipe and ***** at fvd will tell you the same thing, hence why they both recommend an ecu tune in those cars. Porsche motor sports NA will tell you the same thing.
C
Sorry, you are right as well. What happens is the DME doesn't use absolute targets for tuning. Things such as boost, timing, fuel vary with load/gear/rpm/iat/ect among others but primarily load/rpm and cam angle in some cases. Not having cats will basically make the car hit its load targets easier which in turn will impact ignition timing curves. Keep in mind also that timing isn't fixed. There are multiple ignition timing tables that the DME will/can switch among depending on knock feedback (i.e. octane quality), low/high lift on the cams, and other factors. Ignition timing/boost are highly dynamic and will indeed change as you've noticed and mentioned above.

Having said all that and being very experienced with the inner workings of the 997.2 DME I can tell you that simply bolting on an exhaust will not in any way shape or form jeopardize health of a motor and will not make the tune (or factory programming) too aggressive for the motor. You're raising efficiency while keeping programming the same. If anything performance can only improve and not degrade. We also recommend getting the car tuned after an exhaust to get the most performance out of the upgrade but not having the car tuned after worst thing that can happen is you run a chance of setting off CELs due to higher flowing catalytic converters or due to going de-cat.

Dzenno@PTF

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Europipe impressions TTS