Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there an aftermarket cupholder you've been happy with that sits low on the carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 02:28 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts
Default Is there an aftermarket cupholder you've been happy with that sits low on the carpet?

I will never use the cup holders that come standard on my car. They're way too high up, don't look good with a cup in them. I feel like they spoil the interior look of the car when a bottle of water is in them so I did a search on here (really, I really did) and found the thread about cupholders. I ONLY drink water in my cars.

A few people like this http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/contacts.html
So I bought one and tried it tonight. It won't work. On the drivers side it's perfect except... it hits my right leg so it's not really perfect.

On the passenger's side it only sits on an angle, not good - and it's kind of loose. Even if I "right it" and make it as straight as it gets, it doesn't fit snugly and it moves around way too much. Also, I sat there in the passenger seat, it hits my left leg. No good. I don't want it hitting my passenger's leg.

I found a really lame, concealing, solution though, for now. A tiny Poland Spring 8 oz bottle as it fits in the map compartment on my driver's door. Total stealth, no ones sees it, it doesn't make the interior look cluttered up, but it's tiny and barely squeezes in there. Not a great solution in the end and it's a bit hard to get in and out of the SUPER TIGHT map pocket. But, it works...and is hidden, which I like. Just not a lot of water to drink.

Have any of you found a better solution, one that fits perfectly in the passenger side but doesn't rub up against the leg of the passenger? I'm guessing not. I'm not sure it's even possible. I miss my old cup holder from my 993 that attached beautifully to the rail of the passenger seat and didn't rub against their leg (at least I don't think it did).

Is the best solution to kind of wedge a 16 oz Poland Spring (or a nice metal container of water that stays sealed and is easy to open) under the rear carpet behind the passenger's seat? I'm stumped as to what to do. I think it would be a pain to access a water bottle in the rear carpet area as I like to drink a lot of water.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:20 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Just a thought - take a look at motorcycle cup holders (http://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-p...Ntk=All&Nao=24). Maybe something there that would work. Also just another thought - use velcro to hold a simple cupholder in place on the carpet.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:28 AM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With bottles i just set them on the left side of the driver seat. Basically where the seat, door, and vertical seatbelt all meet. Seems to stay there just fine, out of the way, easy to get to.

Obvi doesnt work with open containers but u said just water bottles.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:38 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Yogi911
With bottles i just set them on the left side of the driver seat. Basically where the seat, door, and vertical seatbelt all meet. Seems to stay there just fine, out of the way, easy to get to.

Obvi doesnt work with open containers but u said just water bottles.
Yes, I've done this too. It does work but when I open the door, I see that bottle sitting there... loosely, I don't know. Maybe there's a better solution? Maybe there actually isn't!

The motorcycle cup holder info that was posted above looks interesting but I don't think I like that look for my car.

Do most of you guys just use the odd upholder? It's times like this I wish there was space in the middle of the 2 seats like a Camry or most any other sedan for those wonderful, incredible 2 cupholders but there isn't that space in our cars.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:25 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

I use the kinda lame above-glovebox holder very frequently. I always worry it's gonna break and/or dump hot coffee all over the car but so far it hasn't. Porsche has never been known for cupholders or other sillyness that we Americans insist on having...

Definitely for water bottles I don't use it, just set 'em on the front or back seat.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The stock cup holders work really well, give them a shot!
The following users liked this post:
racebannon (10-03-2022)
Old 08-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Marauder1
Advanced

You really need to invest in Tervis insulated cups if you don't want the condensate from your passenger's cocktail dripping on their leg or your center console though!
Old 08-23-2015, 03:21 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I use the stock cupholders. A warning, however, a week ago I left an unopened can of soda in the cupholder while the car was out in the 100 degree sun, the can exploded and rained into the center console. Electronics went bats**t and I thought I was in for a multi-thousand dollar repair. Thankfully, it all dried out and works fine now.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:50 AM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't drink and drive. These cars should not even have a cup holder.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by strato58
Don't drink and drive. These cars should not even have a cup holder.
Oh for christs sake.

The man can't have a bottle of water in what is a grand touring car?

What kind of nonsense is that.

I've used the stock cup holder once or twice. They are fine but I don't drive the car long enough to have coffee or anything in there.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:17 PM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

Comming from a man with a 993? I though you were old school.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:59 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

You guys crack me up - in a good way, mostly. By the way, are there any women on this forum? Curious about that. It doesn't appear so.

In any case, I am not going to put anything in the stock cup holders, ever. I don't care how well they work. I just don't like a bottle of water or anything for that matter so high up on the dash of my car, it's a personal thing. So that's that. If I go on a date one day with a pretty woman (yes, I'm looking), and she asks about the cup holder to put her drink in, then I'll grin and bear it not to look like a di*k.

I put a Nalgene bottom filled with water behind the passenger seat under the rear carpet and while it's not that comfortable to reach back there for it to have a swig (currently have some rotator cuff issues so that motion is a bit painful), it is working for me.

Until I can think of something better, it'll have to be it.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 08-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by strato58
Comming from a man with a 993? I though you were old school.
I have cupholders installed in my 993 too. I listen to the radio all the time as well. I like to use the cars and also have people with me. This results in the use of beverages in the car.

These are modern useable cars, I have no problem with someone taking a drink at a stop light.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:26 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Is there an aftermarket cupholder you've been happy with that sits low on the carpet?

You need to find yourself a well designed German cup holder
Attached Images   
Old 08-27-2015, 09:24 AM
Marauder1
Advanced

Thumbs up

Just received an "Ultimate Cup holder" yesterday and tried it out last night. Here it is pictured holding a 24 oz Tervis with an adult beverage for my passenger. She claims to have had zero clearance issues.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Is there an aftermarket cupholder you've been happy with that sits low on the carpet?