Sponsored by:

997.1 back home after water pipe repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 12:24 AM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 997.1 back home after water pipe repair

much time and $$$ to repair this basic cheapa$$ approach our friends from Stuttgart used to prevent the mxing of water and oil in these wonderful autos.

My favorite shop in Denver, Eisenbud's, did the work with all of the "while its out" stuff. Clutch, coils, plugs, o-rings, etc.

The wing had stopped working properly and we tried a repair with an electric motor approach from a fellow Rennlister, but it was more specific to the 996 TT so was not a fit. Eisenbud was able to rebuild the pump and bleed it into functionality with just o-ring replacement and lots of ingenuity. Perhaps the electric solution is close for the future, in case anyone has their wing get floppy on them.

I have to say that after no driving that car for three months, the ride home was rather fun. I had forgotten the kick these turbo's are to drive.

BTW, the pipes were welded so should be a permanent repair.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:29 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you do the steel pipes as well as welding the fittings. I think it's key to pin or weld and replace those plastic pipes. Mine was in for some tranny warranty work and I did the pin/pipe thing "while I was in there..."
Old 08-18-2015, 10:23 AM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Changed out all plastic pipes with SharkWerks metal fittings.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:48 AM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by robhamster
Changed out all plastic pipes with SharkWerks metal fittings.
I did the same thing last year, it sucks but at least it's peace of mind from here on. I'd like to see an updated poll on this site as to how many have had the coolant pipe failure. As time goes on it seems more and more like it's not a matter of if but when.

Quick Reply: 997.1 back home after water pipe repair