Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's finally here (w/pics). It was worth the 4 month search. The A/C ROCKS. :o)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Dstutler
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking car. You're gonna have a ball. I too am on my 3rd Porsche - they just keep getting better.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:18 PM
Greg Lab
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, that is WAY more car than your C4S... Drive it with respect. It could kill you in a heartbeat. Straightline braking only. I don't care how good PASM, PTV or PSM are, drive it like you don't have those features, you know, pretend like all the power is to just the rear wheels, just basic good driving skills will keep you safe. Maybe do a DE or two? PCA instructors are great!
Old 08-10-2015, 04:49 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What a beauty! Enjoy that beast. The S is stinking fast.. So glad to hear you survived your divorce and came out on top.. A very beautiful car and it looks flawless..
Old 08-10-2015, 06:24 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

congrats. Looks like you took pictures in front of every house in the neighborhood.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:58 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
congrats. Looks like you took pictures in front of every house in the neighborhood.
Good one. I love my neighborhood and was trying to find a cool pic that would highlight the car. My house isn't anywhere near as photogenic as these others.

Greg Lab - thanks for the heads up on the car's power. I plan to drive it EXTREMELY gently 99% of the time. To be honest, the car is so nice, I just want to leave it in the garage for a while so I can go out and look at it now and then. I may have bought too nice a car. It just looks so fast and gorgeous and near perfect. If it had 53k miles, I would probably drive it all the time.

I drove it yesterday and was so careful with it, not to get it messed up in any way or have it parked near other cars. Yeah, I know, I need help. I'll get used to it in time, I'm sure. I'm so used to driving a 113k mile 20 year old car. This one is a totally different animal in every way.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Greg Lab
Racer

The car is meant to be driven, and you can drive it hard. With PDK like yours, I typically use manual in sport plus mode, and let the computer do the downshifting for me, perfect throttle blip... I turn the PASM on and off depending on the road, if I know twisty's are coming up, or if it is too rough of a road for the stiff suspension. You need to get those brakes hot to really feel how good they are. Drive the darn thing, and wear your tires out in 5000 miles like the rest of us
Old 08-10-2015, 11:37 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks awesome. Congrats on the beast
Old 08-11-2015, 12:27 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome car!
Old 08-11-2015, 02:22 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Silver turbos...nothing like it. Yeah, I'm biased.

Congrats.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 08-11-2015, 07:30 PM
etepman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huge congrats!!! I too bought mine with idea of being nice and gentle...but after I've tasted the 530hp...she became my everyday driver within a month...driving anything else just does not feel nearly as good. Enjoy in good health! Congrats!!!
Old 08-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
What a beauty! Enjoy that beast. The S is stinking fast.. So glad to hear you survived your divorce and came out on top.. A very beautiful car and it looks flawless..
wow, keeping the house, the merc and the porsche after a Divo, that's impressive. Looks more like you hit the lottery!

I want that stable, 1/2 way there lol.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:51 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Gorgeous car. One of the reasons I left my 993s is because of the A/C. For me the 997 hit all the right spots. Congrats!
Old 08-13-2015, 09:48 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Good lord that is a beauty.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:58 AM
Greg Lab
Racer

I was thinking, mabe there is a PCA instructor in your area who could give you a little lesson in the car on the street, you know, no need for DE. He could teach you about straightline braking, turn-in, apex, and throttle application for a turbo... You could check your local PCA region, maybe pay him for an hour? Anyway just a thought, be a shame to wad up that beautiful car...

Brake, turn, go
Old 08-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Lab
I was thinking, mabe there is a PCA instructor in your area who could give you a little lesson in the car on the street, you know, no need for DE. He could teach you about straightline braking, turn-in, apex, and throttle application for a turbo... You could check your local PCA region, maybe pay him for an hour? Anyway just a thought, be a shame to wad up that beautiful car...

Brake, turn, go
Cool idea. I'll think about this...

BTW, I've driven it the last 2 days? Oh my gosh... this thing is utterly amazing. It has an actual armrest for my right arm. LOVE it! Didn't have this on my 993. It has A/C that works amazingly good, even on the 100 degree days here in DC. I'm blown away by this since A/C is something I really enjoy.

It goes so fast without pressing any buttons on the car for the sport plus. Who needs launch control when it's so fast without it. I know I don't, but one day soon I'm going to press one of the sport buttons and just go for it.

It's SO comfortable. The controls work so beautifully. The Bose stereo is so much better than what I used to have, even though I upgraded that one quite a bit. The looks I get are not what I expected. People stare and point at the car while I'm at stop lights or stop signs. The old one flew under the radar a bit. This one is a real conversation piece I guess. I find it flattering and embarrassing too.

I was going to get a cool license plate holder in the rear from Porsche OEM that said TURBO or at least PORSCHE but now, I'm going to go stealthy and just get a plain stainless steel one. I may get one that says "Have a Grateful Day" (a Grateful Dead reference, but I'm not sure yet.

For the front tag on the tow hook I'm going without a license plate frame.

The guy at the dealer said to debadge it for more stealth but that seems stupid to me. I love the rear badging and that "S".

Decided against a personalized plate as well. Stands out too much. I live in a very conservative area so there's not many of these around here.

Feeling totally lucky to have this car and now that I'm more comfortable with it, I think I'll drive it A LOT more than I thought. I'll limit it to 10000 miles a year since I got a 7 yr 70k mile extended warranty and want to have it covered for the full 7 years.

I only drove about 5k miles a year in my last 2 911's over the last 18 years. I LOVE having an automatic Porsche! I'm sometimes tempted to pretend I'm shifting just to look cool (kidding) but seriously, it is so nice not to have to shift in the bumper to bumper Washington DC traffic that exists everywhere I go here.

I miss it a slight bit, but I'm pretty much over it. It does't seem cool not to shift but who cares, really.

The color combo, the rear spoiler, the adaptive sport seats, I just LOVE IT TO DEATH. At first I thought it was ridiculously ostentatious after I got it but now that I've driven it a bit, and twice to work now (I park in back of the building so no one really sees it unless they're looking for it), it doesn't seem so much so. If it was guards red it would stand out so much more. The guys at my local dealer really liked the car and were so happy for me even though they couldn't find me one in 4 months.

Quick Reply: It's finally here (w/pics). It was worth the 4 month search. The A/C ROCKS. :o)