Sponsored by:

Always takes two tries to start???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Dan12
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mpiffaretti
I have the exact same problem on my 07 TT. I changed my battery last month to the OEM Porsche, and the problem still persists. So that rules out the battery on my process of elimination. I was told by my mechanic that Corrosion on the - terminals could also be the culprit, as well as potential issues with the cable harness from the battery to the starter being low gauge for the amount of amps needed. This latter theory I seriously doubt, otherwise the problem would have been prevalent when the car was new. The fuel pressure with the check valve sounds more like it.
I think your Mechanic is right. Recently I started it (two tries) then went to get gas, 20 min drive and it wouldn’t start after I filled it. I noticed my ground wire from the battery was hot after I tried to start it several times. Then i jumped started it and it was fine.

If i leave a charger on it overnight it will start on the first try. So higher amps help. A hot ground wire means some resistance in the cable from corrosion or a poor connection. I plan to measure the voltage drop next. A drop of 1 volt between the battery and starter would explain why a jump start or fully charged battery helps.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:14 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Always takes two tries to start???

There's a pin that carries power into the car through the firewall. This can become corroded and causes issues such as you've described. Some techs will tell you hat the dash needs to come off - this isn't the case. It can be accessed by lifting the carpet and removing the glove box.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Dan12
Advanced

I decided to charge the battery again and begin to monitor the voltage. After one day it was still above 12v, second day I measured 9.5v. I was never so happy to see a bad battery.

What threw me off was it was only 3 years old, so I assumed it had another problem. I guess the PO let it sit without charging and damaged a few cells. The other sign was when charging two cells didn’t produce any bubbles. Anybody know what other batteries will fit? Brand and size?
Old 08-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Duckstu
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I researched them all,.. and ended up with this Bosh AGM battery. Same or better performance than the stock AGM battery. 5.25 lbs heavier though.

But it's only $219,.. and you can have it in your hands today,.... because it will be sitting on the shelf at your local Pep Boys.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...03.6L%2520DOHC

It's tempting to go with something lighter like a Hawker Odyssey,.. but I didn't find anything that was a direct fit,..AND had the same or more AH (Amp Hours).

Cranking amps isn't the real issue with these cars,.. rather it's Amp Hours that's important,.. (an important figure that many battery manufacturers don't like to publish). That's the total amount of power stored in the battery (v.s. CA or CCA,.. which is how fast it can discharge power).

Being that our cars do have small, slow current draws when sitting,... and have windows that go up and down slightly when the doors are opened, and a CD player operates when the door is opened,.. a fan in the tail that can run long after the car is parked, parking lights and fog lights that stay on for a bit when you exit the car, etc, etc........ going with a smaller / lighter battery is a bad idea IMO. Seriously,.. I've come back to my car 15 min after parking it to find that the fan in the tail has come on.

My old OEM battttery was 47 lbs,.. and the new Bosch was 52.2 lbs (46 lbs, 15.2 oz..... v.s...... 52 lbs, 3.1 oz)
Name:  6vviwcX.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  166.1 KB

Last edited by Duckstu; 05-19-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:08 PM
Dan12
Advanced

Thanks
Old 08-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Dan12
Advanced

New battery installed, started on the first time now. Porsche battery only lasted 2-3 years. Plenty of info out there about replacments, many have had life issues with the OEM.

i'm just glad I didnt have to replace the started cable as mentioned in other threads.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:35 PM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

So I took my car to Vertex today, they inspected the main cable to the starter, all battery terminals, cleaned them, and still having the slow crank at first, and then starts on the second try.
I was told the cables are fine, than most likely I need to replace the starter, so now waiting on a replacement price. Hopefully this solves the problem once and for all, otherwise the process of elimination will get more $$$
Old 08-26-2015, 01:38 PM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

So I got my starter replaced, and now the problem is gone, no more slow cranking or starting on the 2nd try!

Quick Reply: Always takes two tries to start???