Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential and Gearbox Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 07:31 PM
Zenradical
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the DIY from 6Speed that I followed when I did this a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...il-change.html
Old 09-17-2015, 11:45 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gnoy26
hey adfsouth i was working on my gearbox today. i realised that the rear has a diff as well, so 75 90 for those? how many litres? are you aware?
Sorry for the delay....just saw this. The manual tranny takes the same 75 90 in the tranny and both diffs. I'm really not 100% sure on a Tip with a LSD. Are the tip tranny and diff separate units with exclusive fill holes or is it a one piece assembly? If separate, I'd assume use the same 75 90 as the front diff. If one assembly, it a will likely share the Tip tranny fluid in both. I'd double check with the dealer to be sure if u can't tell from looking at it.....Tip is just not in my wheelhouse.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:31 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Zenradical
Here is the DIY from 6Speed that I followed when I did this a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...il-change.html
Great thanks!
Old 04-02-2019, 04:15 AM
CWY
Track Day

Bringing this back from the Dead - I hope.

Proud new soon to be owner of a 2009 TT Cab with Tiptronics. and I've been looking up all the fluid changes, seems most of the info are from Manual Tans, and not a lot of 997.1 TT Tip info on this subject.

Car has 61k miles, and while dealer says no Diff or Auto trans service is required till past 100k, everything I read tells me Diff and Trans I should do it for the sake healthy Preventive Maintenance.

From all the reading, I see there are 3 different fluids for the 4 different drain/fill
- Front Diff and Rear Diff share the same Mobifluid 75w90
- Front AWD uses a 75w80 transmission fluid
- Tip Transmission - ATF (not sure what, since I wasn't brave enough to even think about doing this).

Questions:
1. are there other fluids I should look for, or just Porsche fluids from dealer? They don't sell by L usually, but said willing to if they can find containers.
2. interestingly ,they couldn't tell me the capacity, and told me depending on how long I drain it (since it's thick), the capacity will vary. Does any one the specific in how many L I need to buy for each of the 4?
- Front Diff (~$18/L)
- Front AWD (~$50/L)
- Rear Diff (~$18/L - same as Front Diff)
- Tip Auto Trans

I'm pretty sure I can do the Front and Rear Diff - especially if it's the same fluid.
I'm also reading Front AWD is pretty clean, so maybe OK to skip.
Tip Auto ATF I'll likely have shop do it just cause I don't have access to a lift.

Any insight for a newbie will be appreciated!!

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2019, 09:30 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

He's also a member on the forum and has a thread on this

Old 04-02-2019, 09:31 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Found his thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...id-change.html
Old 04-02-2019, 11:29 AM
CWY
Track Day

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Thanks, have definitely seen and learned from those two links, but they are both Manual references, not Auto/Tip. So I assume the volume, or even oil type maybe slightly different?
Old 04-02-2019, 12:20 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWY
Thanks, have definitely seen and learned from those two links, but they are both Manual references, not Auto/Tip. So I assume the volume, or even oil type maybe slightly different?
Sorry, I missed the part that you mentioned it was an auto
Old 04-03-2019, 07:59 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts

btw...
the front diffs are completely different between a .1 and .2 car.. (and the amounts of fluid required) (.2 does not share fluid between controller and differential not sure about the .1)
when I changed mine the controller fluid looked practically new... doubt I would change it the next time... only the diffs.

the car needs to be perfectly level to add the proper amount to the diffs as it basically is fill till it leaks out and you will over fill if not. I'm pretty sure it's the same PDK or manual. you should get one of those little hand pump devices as you can't pour from the bottle do to the lack of space.

I would only use Porsche fluids....
Old 04-13-2019, 11:24 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Doing all fluids today.
delvac
porsche for awd
mobil 1 for motor
Old 05-02-2019, 07:31 PM
CWY
Track Day

@gnoy26 @adfsouth Studying these posts - just picked up my first P-car - 2009 Turbo. Puts me at an odd 997.1 year, so a lot of info contradicts.

Your list had front diff, AWD controller (front of car attached to front diff), TIPP rear (assume this is the tiptronics auto transmission). Aren't you missing a rear diff?
Did ever tackle this that you can share a quick snap or tips?

I'm trying to find tightening torque and allen wrench size info since I don't have the right tool for the rear diff drain plug.
dealer wasn't able to tell me exact capacity either since they say they don't do these often (???).

I'd love to flush both front and rear diff - leave the AWD controller alone since most say that stays pretty clean. so both front and rear diff should use the same 75w90 gear oil I can pick up at the dealer.

The Auto Transmission is where I'm struggling... any help would be hugely appreciated.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:00 PM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

I just did mine last weekend (2008 6MT, transmisison, AWD controller and front diff). I'm no help on the tiptronic question, but as a general rule, make sure and break your fill plugs loose before you drain the fluids. My AWD controller fill plug was *super* tight and is a bit tough to access. If you cant break your fill plug loose, or booger it up in the process, you will really be in a predicament if you already drained the fluid
Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I did my 2007 TT last weekend. The hardest part was dealing with all the under car panels. They come off from back to front and go back in the reverse order. Depending on how you lift the car, your jack or stands may be in the way. It's fiddly until you figure it out.

Other tips:
- use Mobilube PTX for the manual gearbox - - the PTX is 75w90 that's modified to shift great in the Porsche boxes. Shifts like a warm knife through butter. Expensive but worth it.
- buy a small, cheap (~$10) pressure sprayer at your local Home Depot and use that to fill the oil. Put the oil in the sprayer, pump it up, insert the end of the sprayer (sans spray tip) into the fill hole and squeeze the trigger. Stop when it overflows (assuming the car is level, otherwise just put the needed amount in the sprayer and use it all). Very easy to control and limits the mess.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:44 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

Anyone in SoCal with a Tip or other questions is welcome to stop by this weekend to watch and learn. Doing a full fluid replacement on an 997.1TT tip. Also doing plugs coil packs and fuel filter etc.(12 year major service)
Doing this for another member, it was so much fun when I did my car decided to do it again.

New coil packs installed

I replaced my opener with a jack screw type after struggling with it in the way.

Easy access -not!
Old 05-03-2019, 03:59 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Awesome. Please post lots of pics! I am planning on doing the tip service next weekend.

Quick Reply: Differential and Gearbox Confusion