Sponsored by:

Cant get Airlift vacuum cooling tool to work

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:19 PM
tomb18
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant get Airlift vacuum cooling tool to work

Hi, I recently changed out my rads on my 997.1TT and during the process lost about 6l of fluid.
I am now attempting to refill the system and am using the Airlift 5000 vacuum flushing system.
I connect it up and start the vacuum, it quickly evacuates downs to 15 and then all of a sudden drops down to 10 and then there's a fair bit of coolant coming out. If I leave it there it never seems to build up the vacuum. If I let air back in and repeat, the same thing happens. It's as if at 15 something opens up and then keeps the pressure at 10. If I close the valve, the vacuum is held indefinitely . It can't be a leak. Am I just not waiting long enough? Or is there a leak at 15 but not at 10?
Also, when I do have the vacuum at 10, then the radiator hoses are collapsed but it seems that other hoses are not.
So I really don't know what is going on. Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 07-22-2015, 06:10 PM
Edgemonty
Intermediate

I haven't used this system before but is sounds like too there might be a leak. I watched a few youtube videos of the device being used:

Found this on an Amazon review - don't know if it will help:

"Had to purchase a 1/4 inch adapter to connect to my compressor -- There is no mention of this on the Amazon listing but it is one of the first things mentioned in the instructions (after I purchased it). Also, per the instructions, the Airlift system requires 24 to 26 inches (vacuum) on the gauge before the system should be activated. This means that if you have a low output compressor (less than 90 psi constant output), you could have problems reaching the 24 to 26 inches of vacuum for the Airlift to do its thing."

Last edited by Edgemonty; 07-22-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:27 PM
tomb18
Cruisin'

/Thanks. I've seen many videos and I have yet to see the issue I have. However, I doubt this is a leak. I can turn off the valve and it will hold the vacuum indefinitely. It seems however, that something opens up at a value of 15. Perhaps there is an overflow, or some other value that needs to be plugged for this to work. Any one have access to the service manual?

Quick Reply: Cant get Airlift vacuum cooling tool to work