Sponsored by:

Intercooler removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 06:36 PM
drivingon9
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler removal

Do we have any DIY instructions around on how to remove the intercoolers? I searched around a little, but didn't find anything beyond "it's pretty easy".

I haven't spent too much time fiddling with it, but I have the bumper off (working on an exhaust install), and didn't immediately see an intuitive way to remove them.

Thanks for any tips.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:26 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Fairly easy process. A T25 Torx bit and 13mm wrench and socket will get the combination of bolts and nuts removed. You will also need to remove the rear inside fender liner to get access to the support bolts/nuts. You also have two 13mm speed nuts on the inner heat shield that need to be removed. Push the shield off the studs so they don't catch..

I remove the hose clamp at the turbo compressor housing and remove the hose connection>>leave the hose connected to the IC.. At the top I just remove the hose clamp on the silver "Y" pipe and leave the hose attached to the IC. The intercoolers slide forward (front of the car) to clear the upper rear stud. Then jockey down and out.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:26 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

They're housed in a bracket. Take the bracket off the car and the IC comes with it. That should get you started...
Old 07-16-2015, 10:36 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drivingon9
Do we have any DIY instructions around on how to remove the intercoolers? I searched around a little, but didn't find anything beyond "it's pretty easy".

I haven't spent too much time fiddling with it, but I have the bumper off (working on an exhaust install), and didn't immediately see an intuitive way to remove them.

Thanks for any tips.
I wrote up a DIY...HERE is a LINK

Good luck,
DC
Old 07-17-2015, 01:36 AM
drivingon9
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys rock.. Thanks!!

I will reward you with entertainment..

I've never done this before, so I thought it was mildly amusing (after freaking out for a bit, of course).

Summary : Do NOT use a closed end ratcheting wrench without a flip switch on the cat/turbo nuts!!

I popped my ratchet wrench on the nut to avoid the 1 million tiny twists, and started clicking the wrench back and forth to undo the nut... Well, turns out there isn't enough clearance for the ratchet + bolt to squeeze past the CAT and you reach a point where the ratchet is squeezed against the cat in such a way as to stop ratcheting because of the force against the wrench.. That meant each undo turn would twist the nut out, while each intended ratchet turn would twist the nut back in.. Completely stuck and painted in a corner, since I obviously can't even remove the wrench... Sigh.

After some careful thought, I decided there isn't a careful solution.. I twisted the wrench figuring that either (a) the wrench will break, or (b) the stud will break (c) I'll get lucky and something will toque/bend enough to pop the wrench off through a large enough gap.. (a) and (b) wouldn't be catastrophic, since the parts can be replaced.

I got luck with (c)
Old 07-18-2015, 11:34 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by drivingon9
You guys rock.. Thanks!!

I will reward you with entertainment..

I've never done this before, so I thought it was mildly amusing (after freaking out for a bit, of course).

Summary : Do NOT use a closed end ratcheting wrench without a flip switch on the cat/turbo nuts!!

I popped my ratchet wrench on the nut to avoid the 1 million tiny twists, and started clicking the wrench back and forth to undo the nut... Well, turns out there isn't enough clearance for the ratchet + bolt to squeeze past the CAT and you reach a point where the ratchet is squeezed against the cat in such a way as to stop ratcheting because of the force against the wrench.. That meant each undo turn would twist the nut out, while each intended ratchet turn would twist the nut back in.. Completely stuck and painted in a corner, since I obviously can't even remove the wrench... Sigh.

After some careful thought, I decided there isn't a careful solution.. I twisted the wrench figuring that either (a) the wrench will break, or (b) the stud will break (c) I'll get lucky and something will toque/bend enough to pop the wrench off through a large enough gap.. (a) and (b) wouldn't be catastrophic, since the parts can be replaced.

I got luck with (c)
Oh yeah, been there done similar. There's a Ford big block out there somewhere with one of my wrenches stuck to an exhaust manifold

Quick Reply: Intercooler removal