Sponsored by:

Intermittent clutch slippage

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:39 AM
jwasbury
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent clutch slippage

About two weeks ago on a 90 mile journey, the clutch slipped ('09 Turbo Cab, 23k miles). I was able to make the slippage happen by flooring the car in top gear on the highway with Sport Chrono overboost engaged. At about 4k rpm, the revs raced up to redline, but the car doesn't accelerate. Classic slipping clutch symptom.

Having just bought the car, I immediately contacted my dealer to inquire "WTF"

about a week later, I make the same 90 mile journey and try to make the clutch slip under the same conditions, but I can't make it slip. It holds perfectly.

Now I am confused. Is there something else besides clutch disc and pressure plate that could cause intermittent slipping? Something in the actuator system like the slave or throw out bearing hanging up and not releasing properly?

Any experiences with this? My dealer had agreed to goodwill repair any issues, but now I can see that Murphy is going to hang around to insure that the clutch only slips when I am driving alone and never when a Porsche tech is in the car.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:28 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

honestly, it could just be on the verge of wearing out and will slip depending on those circumstances. Little bit more heat on one occasion, slightly more load, etc could cause it to slip.

I'd say its pretty clearly time for a new clutch, even if its not constantly slipping.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Great job by the dealership to offer a good will repair.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:23 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine slips intermittently as well. It helps if i keep the sport button off for now and i try not to load it up going uphill at least until i can get my sachs 2.5 in.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:35 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think the slave or accum would have any effect once the clutch is disengaged (pedal not depressed).
Is there any software on the car? Could have been modded in the past, unlikely imo.
More than likely the disc or pressure plate is borderline.

Quick Reply: Intermittent clutch slippage