997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pcm 2.1 replacement

Old 07-06-2015, 06:25 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the dennison bt 500 and hated the phone function, have tooki now, but only phone
Maybe I should look at the dennison again?
Old 07-06-2015, 08:41 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Why not the tranzit blu hf if you were going to consider dension or mobridge. Much cheaper and works great.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:55 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Why not the tranzit blu hf if you were going to consider dension or mobridge. Much cheaper and works great.
The issue with that system (and reason it is so cheap) is that it is simply and RF Modulator and sends the signal through the radio antenna...That technically limits the quality it can transmit. The others use a more sophisticated Fiber Optic system that allows much better quality and interfacing...but not without issues either...And cost...

It is much cheaper, and if it meets your needs...then great. Just an FYI on that system.

DC
Old 07-06-2015, 11:58 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I definitely want it working thru the PCM . Tooki phone works great, just want to ad BT streaming somehow.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:46 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Pcm 2.1 replacement

The Dension 500BT is a workable solution on the current firmware. I installed mine myself, took about two hours (mostly because I'd never done any electrical work in a car before).

I have mine hooked up to constant power. It generates a CD changer error but this is a false alert.

Bluetooth calling works 100%; if I'm on a call when I start the car it transfers over. I can call via the PCM or the phone.

Bluetooth streaming works 100%; it connects every time and audio quality is decent enough. It automatically starts playing when I start the car (from we're it left off).

USB connectivity works 100%; connecting to the Dension charges the phone and it automatically changes the input on the PCM/Dension to USB (better sound quality than Bluetooth).
Old 07-07-2015, 01:52 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by therock88
The issue with that system (and reason it is so cheap) is that it is simply and RF Modulator and sends the signal through the radio antenna...That technically limits the quality it can transmit. The others use a more sophisticated Fiber Optic system that allows much better quality and interfacing...but not without issues either...And cost...

It is much cheaper, and if it meets your needs...then great. Just an FYI on that system.

DC
Correct but this is car audio, and on top of that Porsche car audio which isn't good at all. I have a very high end home setup, but no way do I try and replicate that in car. Streaming over Bluetooth sounds good enough for me for car. I can understand wanting more if you went through the effort of changing the factory speakers and amp and just wanted to retain the oem deck.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:59 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by nzskater
The Dension 500BT is a workable solution on the current firmware. I installed mine myself, took about two hours (mostly because I'd never done any electrical work in a car before).

I have mine hooked up to constant power. It generates a CD changer error but this is a false alert.

Bluetooth calling works 100%; if I'm on a call when I start the car it transfers over. I can call via the PCM or the phone.

Bluetooth streaming works 100%; it connects every time and audio quality is decent enough. It automatically starts playing when I start the car (from we're it left off).

USB connectivity works 100%; connecting to the Dension charges the phone and it automatically changes the input on the PCM/Dension to USB (better sound quality than Bluetooth).
Interesting, mine never worked worth a darn. The biggest issue I had was the phone call quality was terrible. Maybe I had a firmware issue?
C
Old 07-07-2015, 07:30 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Pcm 2.1 replacement

I went through 4 firmware revisions before I got to one that worked consistently. It was a chore, and I spent hours communicating with Eric from Bumperplugs, but Dension delivered in the end. The older versions were buggy as hell, so could imagine that yours never worked well.

I used mine to dial in to a conference call this morning, and no one complained, so guessing it works well enough!
Old 07-07-2015, 09:22 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Unit works flawless for me. I never updated my firmware. I am on 50. My solution was to tap into the antenna power out. White wire back of PCM. The CD not found error can be easily be taken care of with the PWIS. I have not tried the durametric yet. Most say it can't be done but I disagree. Since I can disable the TPMS gateway, I am sure I can disable the cd changer. Just have not worried about it.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:38 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

I have had no such issues with the Mobridge unit. The call quality is very good and it works very well through the menus on the PCM unit. Bluetooth music streaming works well too.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:39 AM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by atcbi5
Unit works flawless for me. I never updated my firmware. I am on 50. My solution was to tap into the antenna power out. White wire back of PCM. The CD not found error can be easily be taken care of with the PWIS. I have not tried the durametric yet. Most say it can't be done but I disagree. Since I can disable the TPMS gateway, I am sure I can disable the cd changer. Just have not worried about it.
Thanks for the info. Mine works well with the exception of the CD Changer false error at start. Will try your switched power source solution to see if that helps? I have tried many options with the Durametric to disable and enable the changer, but no luck there...I have tried pretty much every combination I think of. If someone figures that out, I would love to know!

Thanks again...

DC

Images below that may be helpful to some considering it. Error message I get as well as diagram, the unit connections and where I mounted the input device:

Old 07-07-2015, 04:39 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

I have sat down and looked at Durametric perhaps a total of five times. I have made two changes and those were related to the TPMS. I loaded the last version and it is a piece of tihS. Had to go back to an earlier version. In fact, I have all the firmware updates to Durametric because some are awful. The latest one crashes a bunch.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:46 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by atcbi5
I have sat down and looked at Durametric perhaps a total of five times. I have made two changes and those were related to the TPMS. I loaded the last version and it is a piece of tihS. Had to go back to an earlier version. In fact, I have all the firmware updates to Durametric because some are awful. The latest one crashes a bunch.
I haven't had crashing issues in my extremely limited use...but I will definitely say the software is about the least user-friendly and ugliest app I have seen in a long time. The functionality is awesome but some more attention to the UI would be really appreciated.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:31 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by campbellcj
I haven't had crashing issues in my extremely limited use...but I will definitely say the software is about the least user-friendly and ugliest app I have seen in a long time. The functionality is awesome but some more attention to the UI would be really appreciated.
+1000 and the support and documentation are non-existent as well. Has potential...but....

DC
Old 07-09-2015, 01:22 PM
jazz997tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried loading firmware on my Dension 500s bt and i have so many bluetooth issues with my LG G3 phone running latest Android 5.0.2. Any pointers? It connects but cuts out within seconds, connects and disconnects all the time. Phone calls same thing. I can only use the aux feature without issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pcm 2.1 replacement