Sponsored by:

Oil Change - Use Flush?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:43 AM
ru'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change - Use Flush?

Sorry, another oil change thread. I've not had my 997.2 turbo long, and I've just had the oil changed at my local OPC.

They have invoiced for the following, all of which I am not happy about:

1. Engine Flush & Cleaner (Wurth 893558)
2. Petrol Treatment (Wurth 5861101300)
3. Injector Cleaner (Wurth 5861111300)

In my opinion all of the above type of things are useless at best, and potentially damaging at worst. The last thing I want is residual oil flush in my engine rather than proper oil. The car has covered about 20,000 miles since new (late 2010).

If anyone has any Porsche specs stating either the above are recommended or not then I would love to get a copy.

Comments are, of course, most welcome.

I'm fuming; they've also damaged my wing mirror cover and deny any knowledge.

FWIW I'm in Abu Dhabi, so a hot environment if that changes anything.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ru'
Sorry, another oil change thread. I've not had my 997.2 turbo long, and I've just had the oil changed at my local OPC.

They have invoiced for the following, all of which I am not happy about:

1. Engine Flush & Cleaner (Wurth 893558)
2. Petrol Treatment (Wurth 5861101300)
3. Injector Cleaner (Wurth 5861111300)

In my opinion all of the above type of things are useless at best, and potentially damaging at worst. The last thing I want is residual oil flush in my engine rather than proper oil. The car has covered about 20,000 miles since new (late 2010).

If anyone has any Porsche specs stating either the above are recommended or not then I would love to get a copy.

Comments are, of course, most welcome.

I'm fuming; they've also damaged my wing mirror cover and deny any knowledge.

FWIW I'm in Abu Dhabi, so a hot environment if that changes anything.
AFAIK there is no factory callout for using any flush fluid when doing an oil change. The factory approved oil is high detergent and among other things this works to keep solids suspended in the oil so they are removed when the oil is removed.

The proper oil change procedure requires the engine be up to temp, the drain interval be 1 hour (DFI engine; the Metzer Turbo engine gets just 20 minutes IIRC), and a specific amount of oil added -- the oil gun at the service bay has an amount of oil dispensed readout -- then the electronic oil level reading taken and the level should be at the max line. (The proper oil change procedure gives the tech a chance to confirm the electronic oil level system is working properly, well, that and of course replacing the old oil with fresh oil.)

After the oil change, some techs like to add something to the oil. Swepco Oil Treatment 502 (with micronized Moly) is favored as it is supposed to help quiet engines that are used infrequently).

Besides an oil additive, some techs like to add something to the fuel tank, a fuel system/injector cleaner. (I forget what the techs used, something in a black bottle, is all I recall now.) I prefer they not do this as a good fuel system cleaner increases contamination of the oil. If I use a cleaner I do so a fuel tank or two before an oil change.

However, except for very special cases I do not use a fuel system/injector cleaner but prefer to keep the fuel system/injectors clean organically.

The next time you have the oil/filter service done request no flush fluid or fuel tank/injector cleaners be used, unless the dealer can show you something official from Porsche that specifically states these fluids are to be used during an oil/filter service.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:46 AM
ru'
Instructor

Thanks for the reply; pretty much what I feel. The ****ers have also damaged my wing mirror, so I'm going to do a lot more than just ask them not to use any snake oil next service!
Old 07-02-2015, 01:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I think the fuel clearners are fine. But should be done pre oil change, not post.

I do not like the oil flush.

Your owners manual will say fuel system cleaners are fine. But it will also say oil additives of any kind are not allowed.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:28 PM
ru'
Instructor

Good point; I'll check the manual for ammunition.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:12 AM
ru'
Instructor

Just an update; picked up the (returned) car today, they've sorted the wing mirror (and another chip which wasn't their fault) and credited my account with the money for the flush etc.

Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply: Oil Change - Use Flush?