Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 Turbo's, Any specific issues? (vs. 996 TT's)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 08:45 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts
Default 997.1 Turbo's, Any specific issues? (vs. 996 TT's)

I've owned a few 911's and I'm very familiar with the ins and outs of 996's (Turbo and NA), and pretty familiar with 997.1 NA's. Now I'm looking at 997.1 Turbo's...

I always do a pretty thorough 'PPI' myself before even considering the car for a shop PPI and want to learn more about the 997.1TT's.

I'm looking at a 2007 Turbo with ~65K tomorrow. This specific car is at a non-Porsche dealer so it has limited history and service doc's. Clean carfax, some service documentation via Carfax (but it seems to have been well serviced by an out of state Porsche dealer), no accidents, 2 owner car.

Anything above and beyond general 997 and 996TT issues that I need to keep a close eye out for?

Other than the obvious interior and exterior styling changes, what were the major technology/mechanical changes from the 996tt to 997tt? Any of them cause a resolution of potential 996TT problems or introduce new ones?

On a 996TT, I'd look for some of these fairly common issues:
  • Front axle/diff leaks
  • Clutch slave and vacuum accumulator issues,
  • Coolant tank leaks
  • High failure rate spoiler rams
  • Frequent alternator failures
  • Coolant pipe failures and the potential need to pin/weld them

Any of these issues well resolved on 997TT's? Any new issues?

TIA.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:16 PM
robhamster
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

In my 4.5 years of owning a 2007 997.1TT I have the following experience:

Using your list
Front axle/diff leaks - had to replace 2 weeks after CPO warranty expired. PCNA payed 50% of part ($7500 part!!!!!)
Clutch slave and vacuum accumulator issues, - replacing clutch and slave at 52K miles due to slipping
Coolant tank leaks - has not happened yet
High failure rate spoiler rams - failed, replacing with fellow Rennlister solution using electric motors to avoid expensive, poorly executed Porsche repair
Frequent alternator failures - not happened yet
Coolant pipe failures and the potential need to pin/weld them - I have several leaks so having the fittings welded as opposed to more goopy glue from Porsche.

I still really enjoy the car, but after these nitty things and a total engine failure in my 2012 Panamera 4S at 21K miles last year, I really have to wonder if the build quality magic is gone for good from Porsche. I have a 1984 Carrera Cab with 140K miles that oozes so much more quality, it is once again my favorite Porsche.

Be ready with your checkbook. I really hate to be that negative, but I have been beaten into this bad attitude.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Turbo's, Any specific issues? (vs. 996 TT's)