Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a place in N.C.
Near me...
Old 04-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great job! I can't do anything that involves glue and stickers, I have no patience for that. Well done!
Old 04-13-2015, 11:46 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlbraptor
You need a place in N.C.
Near me...
Haha....Not a bad plan!

DC
Old 04-13-2015, 12:04 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
Great job! I can't do anything that involves glue and stickers, I have no patience for that. Well done!
Thanks! I actually feel/felt the same way...

I used some scraps and practiced a little with some heat and smoothing on my Cayenne mirrors (curvy and HARD to do!)...Got it about 99% and felt the hood would not be as bad...

Then I planned an approach for the hood. I found the best way (for me) was to peel a strip, right down the middle about two inches wide - front to rear (although sideways would work too)...I lined up the material and stuck it with that strip down the middle...Then I worked out from the middle of the hood to the driver side, only peeling the backing away as I needed it...and smoothed with the felt covered squeegee as I worked toward the edge....Then I did the center to the driver side in similar fashion...Then worked the curved front, and rear corners (Here you need the heat more and pull to contour to the shape...Then trimmed extra carefully with a new Xacto knife...Then ran over the hood with a blow dryer on high (did not use my heat gun, because it gets too hot too fast ) and the squeegee right behind it...Then finally parked in the sun just for good measure ...

So it was not bad...But I would not want to do it for a living (though I guess I would get better if I did it every day!)

DC

Last edited by therock88; 04-13-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:01 PM
franc01
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work! And easily reversible like you said if you end up not liking it. I like the contrast look; I'm thinking of wrapping my side vents, upper wing, lower skirts and front lip in black over my Guards Red. Not sure about the hood just yet.

Cheers,
Franc
Old 04-14-2015, 12:48 AM
elite1
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Job Rock. Now give those mirrors a try!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:59 AM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by franc01
Nice work! And easily reversible like you said if you end up not liking it. I like the contrast look; I'm thinking of wrapping my side vents, upper wing, lower skirts and front lip in black over my Guards Red. Not sure about the hood just yet.

Cheers,
Franc
Thanks...

You would probably look something like this....

DC

Old 04-14-2015, 11:00 AM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by elite1
Nice Job Rock. Now give those mirrors a try!
Thanks! That looks a bit tougher! I did wrap the ones on my Cayenne to practice...But not quite the curves and breaks as these mirrors. Probably would have to have lots of time..or leave to the pros

DC
Old 04-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Blswan
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like a super nice install job. Not sure I understand faux carbon hoods on a 100k car but... I think you mentioned that.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:41 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by Blswan
Looks like a super nice install job. Not sure I understand faux carbon hoods on a 100k car but... I think you mentioned that.
Thanks....Just something different...I like the look...protects the paint, and easily reversible when I want to change back. Also does not cost $1000's for a hood panel like a real CF hood..And adds no weight

Take care,
DC
Old 04-16-2015, 04:22 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Mirrors and side vents can't really be wrapped properly due to curves. The picture above proves that point with how poorly the wrap follows the lines of the mirror. Also if you get a real carbon fiber wrap it's the same as the hood to the person who says they don't see the point. Why spend 7700 on a GT2 RS OEM hood that saves 20 pounds when everyone on this forum come resale is going to bend you over?

Might as well wrap the hood but with real carbon fiber wrap, then keep it for the next owner or take it off if they don't like it.

For those that want side vents and mirrors, go to MAcarbon and get the matte finish.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:20 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by therock88
Posted on 6Speed, and thought I would post here as well...

So yesterday, I had some free time (rare)...And I was out of projects to do on my P-cars for the moment...But I did have a sunny day (FINALLY!) and a large sheet of Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap.....Soooo, I decided to give it a try.

I only spent about 1 - 1 1/2 hours start to finish. I took the badge off the hood, made sure the hood was wax free with some ammonia cleaner and microfiber towels, and used a blow dryer, felt wrapped squeegee, credit card, and fine X-acto blade...And most importantly some patience!

I was just curious how it would look, and I thought it would help protect the hood, and it is easily reversible...Also the look started to grow on me with the GT2 hoods...

Posted pics below, and I am quite pleased with the outcome...and surprised I could get it applied so well since I have no WRAP experience...But not a bad job.

I know the look is not for everyone. But I think it looks pretty good for the small investment of time and money.

DC

Why would you do that? FYI, carbon fiber parts are not for looks but to lighten your car and you have added weight to your car by adding the faux carbon fiber wrap.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:15 PM
drivingon9
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Why would you do that? FYI, carbon fiber parts are not for looks but to lighten your car and you have added weight to your car by adding the faux carbon fiber wrap.
Carbon fiber hoods are lighter (and I'm certain the OP, and everyone else here knows this), but it's a bit presumptuous to say that they should never be used for looks. It looks different, and some people like the look. As the OP said, "it's not for everyone.".. It's also added protection against rock chips.

Personally, it's not my thing, but I think it looks pretty nice... Good job OP.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:38 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by parkerfe
I had no idea Carbon Fiber was lighter? Really? Wow.

And yes It took two of my fellow football players to carry the extremely heavy 5 foot sheet of Vinyl wrap to the car and help me install it.

I am guessing I added about 4 - 6 oz. easily. I have noticed the performance degrade since the install...Probably partly from the added weight, and some from the additional wind resistance, but not sure. I would guess all the guys with clear Xpel/3M wraps and/or bras should remove them asap

Well...I was just enjoying trying something new on MY car, and as I indicated in my original post....just interested in seeing how it looked and to protect the hood.

I like the looks, and when I get tired of it, I can simply peel it off...Meanwhile it protects the hood...

DC
Old 04-17-2015, 06:39 PM
therock88
Pro

Originally Posted by drivingon9
Carbon fiber hoods are lighter (and I'm certain the OP, and everyone else here knows this), but it's a bit presumptuous to say that they should never be used for looks. It looks different, and some people like the look. As the OP said, "it's not for everyone.".. It's also added protection against rock chips.

Personally, it's not my thing, but I think it looks pretty nice... Good job OP.
Yup! And thanks. I realize not for everyone...And I actually hated that look for a while...and as I look at the GT2's it kind of grew on me....and easily reversible, and fun simple project...

DC

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Hood Wrap...Not Bad!