Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to sell my TT - trade or private!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 07:16 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm looking to pick up an M4 for DD duty and thought it would be good research to see what the dealer would give me on the Porsche (the two dealers are owned by the same company).

Blackbook is $107k, NADA is $109k, Blue book is $104k. There were two auctions in the past month that went for $95k -- but both cars were 2011 and had in excess of 30,000 miles. Car has 11k on the clock, is a 2012 TTS, aqua blue metallic / titanium blue/black interior, and has the aero kit factory installed ($176k MSRP when new). Still under factory warranty.

First offer was $95k, as expected. Right at the auction price that two cars went through, even though they were not comparable.

I recommend private party. If I negotiated more, not sure where we would get. Tax credit would be worth about $5k here in AZ.

Good luck with your sale. UK is obviously different than here in the states.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:36 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Great question, gotta talk to the buyer, keep your spidey senses alert, anything weird back out.
I have the buyer wire the money directly to my secondary ck account, when my pvt banker gives me the green light I transfer the money to my primary account and complete the deal.
I'd highly suggest anybody on the turbo forum utilize private banking services, they can often set up a one time use checking account to receive wires, because crooks have ways to reverse the payment...
Thanks Chris and CT944. I have heard from my dealer that this November the 991.2 Turbo will be unveiled for purchase in 2016. If they changed the front end spoiler aesthetics enough and add additional power approaching 600HP, I'll probably be selling my Black Mamba and getting the new version. I wasn't all that enamored with the look of the front end on the initial version of the 991 TT.

And yes I'll be ordering the "S" version.

Again thanks for the advice.

Jay
Old 02-14-2015, 07:43 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc V.
For a wire transfer, once the seller's--the recipient's--bank has accepted the payment order, the transaction cannot be reversed. However, if the bank from which the payment originates sends a cancellation notice to the recipient's bank before the recipient's bank has accepted the payment order, the transaction can be cancelled.

After the recipient's bank has accepted the payment order, the originating bank cannot access the seller's bank account to reverse the transaction.

I sent a 964 Turbo to Europe recently, and the monetary transaction was completed without issue by wire transfer. I've accepted payment by wire transfer and by bank check on other 911s as well. A seller should be sure to use his or her own bill of sale which identifies specifically the conditions to which the buyer and the seller have agreed (don't use the buyer's bill of sale), and should not release the car or any of its supporting documents (e.g., the vehicle title) until he or she has been paid in full for the car.
Doc V.

Are there web sites that I can down load and print a standard bill of sale that would cover me legally? If so can you suggest a site? Thanks.

I guess these are the pitfalls one can avoid by just trading the car in.

Jay
Old 02-14-2015, 08:07 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc V.
For a wire transfer, once the seller's--the recipient's--bank has accepted the payment order, the transaction cannot be reversed. However, if the bank from which the payment originates sends a cancellation notice to the recipient's bank before the recipient's bank has accepted the payment order, the transaction can be cancelled. After the recipient's bank has accepted the payment order, the originating bank cannot access the seller's bank account to reverse the transaction. I sent a 964 Turbo to Europe recently, and the monetary transaction was completed without issue by wire transfer. I've accepted payment by wire transfer and by bank check on other 911s as well. A seller should be sure to use his or her own bill of sale which identifies specifically the conditions to which the buyer and the seller have agreed (don't use the buyer's bill of sale), and should not release the car or any of its supporting documents (e.g., the vehicle title) until he or she has been paid in full for the car.
Doc v, my friend thought the same thing, two days later boat and money gone, of course that was 2005, hopefully things have changed.
C
Old 02-14-2015, 10:05 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Doc v, my friend thought the same thing, two days later boat and money gone, of course that was 2005, hopefully things have changed.
C
The Uniform Commercial Code, Article 4A, contains the regulations for wire transfers: see http://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc/4A (cf. §4A-211: "Cancellation and Amendment of Payment Order").

I have never had issues with a wire transfer--or, for that matter, with a bank check. Nevertheless, I have never transferred, nor will I ever transfer, ownership of a car until the payment process has been completed.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Are there web sites that I can down load and print a standard bill of sale that would cover me legally? If so can you suggest a site? Thanks.

I guess these are the pitfalls one can avoid by just trading the car in.
I created a bill of sale form about ten years ago, and I've used it ever since. The buyer always has the opportunity to review the form before he or she makes the decision to purchase the car.

If there are pitfalls to the private sale, they're very minor, in my estimation. And trade-in value is typically lower than private sale value.

Quick Reply: How to sell my TT - trade or private!?!?