Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering purchase, fair price, advice?

Old 02-03-2015, 02:40 PM
drivingon9
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
These threads always crack me up. Someone comes on and says, what do you guys think of this car, and someone(s) comes on and says, you should go for the X that's twice the price! I'm sure price was never a factor in why they were looking at that car initially

A 997.1TT tip would be a wonderful DD. Have fun!
At the same time, it makes me wonder why someone who has such an impressive (i.e. insanely expensive) collection of cars would care about asking forums what a "fair price" would be. You look at a few cars for sale, and there's your ballpark.. At worst, you may end up paying $1k-$5k more, but if the car is well cared for, is the right color with the right options that you care about, is it that terrible within that price range? Just sayin'

To actually contribute to the thread, I'd guesstimate in the 50's. Personally, I wouldn't go over 60. The mileage isn't terrible, as long as you do your due diligence with a thorough PPI and DME. As others have stated, they do make good DDs, as long as you're not counting on extensive use of the back seats or storage.

Good luck.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:29 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v

For the turbo .2 our ticking time bomb is our spoiler.
....or the $4500 coolant line fix that requires an engine drop and partial disassembly. That's why I'd want a 4s if i'm going to rack up a bunch of miles and use it as a daily driver. A little less expensive when it does break.

All the 911's I believe (don't quote me) require the engine to be removed for spark plugs and the like. So automatically that means 1000+ from a dealer. Again indy shop can vary wildly.
Nope. You can do the plugs on a 997.1 and 997.2 S and 4S without removing the engine. It's doable as a DIY project. Turbo you have to drop the engine and remove the turbochargers. Big difference in the amount of labor involved.

Back to OP's question: the tip is good for daily driving and if you're price sensitive it's a perfectly good option. PDK turbos are in the $90k range since the earliest one you can get is a 2010.

Get a PPI and decide if the car is worth it to you afterward.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:55 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by eviligloo
....or the $4500 coolant line fix that requires an engine drop and partial disassembly. That's why I'd want a 4s if i'm going to rack up a bunch of miles and use it as a daily driver. A little less expensive when it does break.
The coolant line fix I was told was only on the mezger engine? Hence why the GT3, GT2, and turbo all have to watch it for it?.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:55 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The coolant line "issue" has only happened to a handful of cars out of thousands over the years, keep it in perspective. On the contrary, the 991gt3 had its own oiling and cooling issues, recalling 100% of the cars, now that's an "issue".
Old 02-04-2015, 04:36 AM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I was in the market for 997.2TT, but in the end I bought 997.1 only because it has the Mezger engine and 6speeds.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:30 AM
eviligloo
Pro

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
The coolant line "issue" has only happened to a handful of cars out of thousands over the years, keep it in perspective. On the contrary, the 991gt3 had its own oiling and cooling issues, recalling 100% of the cars, now that's an "issue".
There are more out there than you think. My shop has seen a lot more recently as the glue starts to deteriorate with age. I had the "coolant leak issue" problem last month. The plastic clips were the only thing holding the pipes in place. Glue deteriorated so much that it didn't hold the pipe anymore. 3 of the pipes had the same problem.

I can name more cars that have had the coolant pipe issue than the camshaft issue.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:42 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't know about that. General maintenance on all porsche pretty much is a flat fee of 500. Or 450 from my dealer.
You've clearly not priced a spark plug change, which is what his point was.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:21 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Originally Posted by eviligloo
There are more out there than you think. My shop has seen a lot more recently as the glue starts to deteriorate with age. I had the "coolant leak issue" problem last month. The plastic clips were the only thing holding the pipes in place. Glue deteriorated so much that it didn't hold the pipe anymore. 3 of the pipes had the same problem. I can name more cars that have had the coolant pipe issue than the camshaft issue.
Glad yours got fixed, but it's still a very small number given the thousands of cars out there without an issue. The anecdotal experience of any one shop either with lots of failures or zero repairs is irrelevant compared to Porsches overall warranty and repair data of which they don't report a problem. Now, this could change , but doubtful.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:31 AM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

You've clearly not priced a spark plug change, which is what his point was.
Course I have, my dealer quoted me 1200. Haven't priced it from an indy shop. The 450 as you can see in my post you quoted is for general maintenance
Old 02-04-2015, 01:52 PM
eviligloo
Pro

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Glad yours got fixed, but it's still a very small number given the thousands of cars out there without an issue. The anecdotal experience of any one shop either with lots of failures or zero repairs is irrelevant compared to Porsches overall warranty and repair data of which they don't report a problem. Now, this could change , but doubtful.
You have a fair point. I was mostly pointing it out in this case because the
4s wouldn't have either possible problem and will have lower operating costs when something needs to be fixed.

Sorry to derail the thread. Let's get it back on point!
Old 02-04-2015, 02:42 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Course I have, my dealer quoted me 1200. Haven't priced it from an indy shop. The 450 as you can see in my post you quoted is for general maintenance

Right. Oil changes.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:10 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Ditto on the c4s
I did about 70k miles commuting in an '03, zero issues.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:36 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Right. Oil changes.
oil change and the useless/useful inspection. Do they do anything else? I would always use an indy but potential owners freak out if wasn't done at the dealer.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

oil change and the useless/useful inspection. Do they do anything else? I would always use an indy but potential owners freak out if wasn't done at the dealer.
There are minors (oil changes) and majors (fluid changes, filters, plugs, flux capacitor resets, etc.). The majors are way more on the Turbos... Double Porsche Tax.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

A few times I had my (996) Turbo in for scheduled oil/filter services the tech spotted a problem.

In one case it was a leaking selector shaft seal on the 6-speed. The cure involved installing a new transmission which was covered under the car's CPO warranty. BTW, the new transmission was the cure offered by the factory.

Another time the tech spotted leaking front diff axle flange seals. By this time the car was out of warranty but still I was glad he found this for the leak hadn't got to the the point the diff was low on fluid. New seals and fresh fluid and the front diff is as good as new.

More recently -- in January -- I had the car in for a scheduled oil/filter service (at 130K miles) and the tech spotted leaking radiators. While the cost to replace these wasn't cheap I'm glad the tech found these leaking radiators for I had no clue other than a bit of water at each front corner than I attributed to snow/ice that had collected in the radiator ducts -- the temps were very cold -- at some times in the single digits and there was blowing snow -- and which had melted from the radiator heat. But once I saw the radiators -- after the tech had remove the front bumper cover and some other plastic stuff -- and the leaks (all 3 leaking too) I realized the fluid spots I had thought were water were in fact coolant. I had the radiators replaced and the drive home -- nearly 2000 miles -- proved to be uneventful other than a brief attack of an over-active imagination on my part that at one point had me thinking the coolant system was leaking again when in fact it was not.

I would have hated to have headed off with leaking radiators and possibly had the car suffer from a catastrophic loss of coolant somewhere on the open road, maybe accompanied by a localized overheating which can wreck havoc on these engines.

Now there have been a number of times the car has been in for servicing and the tech has not found anything. This is to be expected. It is not a sign the inspection is useless.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Considering purchase, fair price, advice?