Sponsored by:

997 turbo cab or bmw m1

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 01:17 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
997.1TT for under $70k is where you want to be.
.2 cars have more power with the DFI however you can always bump up a 997.1TT with the money you saved over the .2.
All comes down to if you want a Mezger or DFI in your turbo car. Both are excelent.
Idc about the power. 30 hp is negligible. The refinement and increase in craftsman ship/materials of the .2 is what I like. Plus the PDK.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:07 PM
amracer
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jem7v
Convertible is nice, but usually older ones have issues with the top. But regardless, I rather buy the 1M for like 55k, pay 10k to Dinan, and they will make it an animal.

If you were looking at a .2 turbo S, I would tell you to spend your money on that. I really don't like the 997.1. It's really not worth the money in my mind for anything more than like 70k. They made such an improvement on the .2
i totally agree with you about the turbo s i will go for it.. no doubt but rarely i can find turbo s either coupe or convertible. bmw m1 is special just because the production have been stopped since 2012 and the value went up and today i had a conversation with friends they think the M1 might be the next Z8 as the value went up and it might go more by days.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:12 PM
amracer
8th Gear

Correction, a Manual 997TT will become a classic.
The production #'s of the 1M are low but will not have people fighting over them in time.
Agreed however both car are really fun.
people like classic in manual gear box because the new porsche's are automation no more manual gear box. the 1M might be the next Z8 not sure about it but people are willing to pay for the 1M if they were interested.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:20 PM
amracer
8th Gear

The car will remain rare because not many people are prepared to spend that kind of money on that kind of car.
It is perceived as a hair dressers car like the Boxster.....

Dont get me wrong, i love small cars with lots of hp and brakes. But alas, as vain as it sounds i would rather be seen in a 997 then a boxster or M1....
No problem bro i do respect all opinions. what you said is totally true i will not spend that much for a boxter but the special about 1M is limited production 6309 cars i guess. by the way nowadays all automobile factories are improving mini cars like VW gti, R and A45. I'm confused between 1m and 997.2 turbo cab
Old 01-25-2015, 02:34 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

...It is perceived as a hair dressers car like the Boxster....
You crack me up Tom!!!!!
I always thought that they were kind of cute...LOL...
Old 01-25-2015, 05:45 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Idc about the power. 30 hp is negligible. The refinement and increase in craftsman ship/materials of the .2 is what I like. Plus the PDK.
The tub is the same on both cars.
The 997.2 has slightly larger brakes and different valving on the shocks.

PDK is awesome, but also available on the 99TT. The manual is the last of the line on the 997.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:46 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amracer
i totally agree with you about the turbo s i will go for it.. no doubt but rarely i can find turbo s either coupe or convertible. bmw m1 is special just because the production have been stopped since 2012 and the value went up and today i had a conversation with friends they think the M1 might be the next Z8 as the value went up and it might go more by days.
When you park a Z8 next to a M1 you will see why the values will continue to rise on the Z8 on not the M1.
The M1 will have a decent following however.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:35 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Z8 and 1m are completely different cars, 1m being more back to roots and what made the M brand successful.

http://m.nydailynews.com/autos/10-be....1598225#bmb=1

I dont think a 1m is a hair dressers car any more than a boxster spyder. Both enthusiast cars that get plenty of attention with aggressive styling. Just very different car from a TT.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:39 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The tub is the same on both cars.
The 997.2 has slightly larger brakes and different valving on the shocks.

PDK is awesome, but also available on the 99TT. The manual is the last of the line on the 997.
The inside is nicer too. It has proper HID headlights and LED tails too. Plus the outside is slightly better looking too.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:43 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

The inside is nicer too. It has proper HID headlights and LED tails too. Plus the outside is slightly better looking too.
interior and headlights depend on your options on either model.
Exterior is basically the same except for tail lights...

Hard to to tell the two cars apart when the LED tails are installed on a 997.1 with aftermarket wheels.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:14 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

The 1m is a great car. It is already a classic. It is one of the best front engine/rear drive BMW chassis cars I have ever driven. The balance is incredible.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:03 AM
Wassim12
5th Gear

Are u kidding m ?!? Ur comparing M1 to 997 turbo cab. Hope ur ok, of course the Porsche turbo. I have the 2012 cab atlas gray. This car is a dream. Can't even compare it to Ferrari F. So u do the math my friend
Old 01-27-2015, 04:57 AM
JeffyD
Track Day

I have owned both a 1M and a 997.2 Turbo coupe. I'm not sure of the difference in driving experiences between a 997 coupe and cabriolet, but I'll offer an opinion from that perspective and hope it transfers well enough to be of some use.

I loved my 1M. I got it in valencia orange, and it was a sight to be seen on a cloudy day following a nice wash. The power, at the time, was the most I had ever experienced from one of my own cars. It was intoxicating in a way far different than my S54 equipped M coupe delivers. The steering was not only responsive and quick, but very communicative. The suspension was stiff, but not overly so, in my opinion - but I do enjoy a firmer ride than the average when it comes to a street car. It struck a great balance during the corners, and I was much more impressed with the 1M than I had been from an M car in recent times.

That said, the 997.2 Turbo I have is in another league completely - one that I was unaware existed before I found myself behind its wheel. Mine is equipped with the sport chrono and PCCB, so, obviously, power and braking ability is beyond that of which the 1M was able to deliver. In terms of feel, I am of the opinion that the turbo's limits are far and away beyond my capability of reaching, whereas the 1M had a limit that I could find myself nearing fairly often.

The 1M has a marvelous six speed box. I've never driven a car with a manual that slick. Gear changes were amazingly fluid, and the clutch left me with no complaints other than being a touch lighter than I'm used to. My turbo has a PDK box, so direct comparison is not possible. That said, I feel as though the 1M had just the right amount of power for a six speed, at least for my tastes. Any more and I think it would be too much for me to want to handle daily without a DCT of some sort. Eh, I don't know. It could possibly have packed a little bit more before hitting that limit.

Whatever. For the sake of keeping this concise, I'll try wrapping this up now since I didn't do a great job organizing the format. In my opinion, the 1M is the best BMW to come around in recent memory, and, as a whole, beats the experience I've had with even the more recent cars - ala the M4, and M5/6. I prefer the character of the S54 M coupes more, but the 1M beats them in neutrality and everyday usability. Time will tell if the M2 is able to pick up the torch and run with it, but it won't have the same allure as the 1M, for me at least.

But, the 997.2 turbo has been a real eye-opener for me. I never thought I'd own a Porsche, being a fan of older BMWs for the most part. And, if I did buy one, I figured it'd have been a second hand Cayman S, and not a 911 variant. I have spent far too much time making fun of the silly layout to ever be a fan of a 911, y'know? Oh, well - color me surprised. What it lacks in rich skunkworks backstory charm, and in-your-face brattiness, the turbo blows the doors off of the 1M. Which is to be expected, I suppose.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:35 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

Some of you are mixing-up the M1 and the 1M. No similarity at all beyond the badge...just sayin'
Old 01-27-2015, 02:47 PM
JeffyD
Track Day

A M1 is well beyond the price point worth cross shopping with a cab 997 turbo. At least, as far as I'd wager. If he was referring to an M1, the lambo bodied mid engine supercar of its day, I couldn't offer much beyond the 30 minutes I spent nervously behind a fire red road car version. Which is summed up thusly,- old school performance and handling, difficult pedal layout in a cramped cabin, notchy shifting and vague clutch and tremendous fun in a completely different fashion than what I've grown up with.

Comparing the two? Not really worth doing since neither is able to be stacked against one another fairly.

Quick Reply: 997 turbo cab or bmw m1