Sponsored by:

Questions about replacing the rear emblem

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 02:37 PM
993TurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Questions about replacing the rear emblem

I want to replace the rear emblem on my 997.2 Turbo S with a black one that looks otherwise original. I plan to keep the original one that I take off.

I don't think that any 997 Turbos had black emblems, but I am not sure. I don't think a black version is available from Porsche. I have heard that people have just painted the chrome one. I might do this if I have to, but I wonder about the following:

1) Does the Cayenne Turbo S have the same Turbo S script as the 997? It looks the same, but I'm not sure. I think it was available in black.
2) I think the 993 and 997 turbo S had different scripts from the 997. In particular, the S on the 997 is longer.
3) Is the S from a Carrera 4S the same on a 997 as the Turbo S?
4) If I buy a chrome replacement, what is the best paint and process to refinish it so that it looks good and wears well?
5) How to I remove the old one safely and then glue on the new one? Is there a template, or should I just mark the car somehow to keep track of the placement?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

FYI, I am doing this in conjunction with putting on black quad tips, so I'm trying to get rid of the last bits of chrome on the car.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:46 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 993TurboS
I want to replace the rear emblem on my 997.2 Turbo S with a black one that looks otherwise original. I plan to keep the original one that I take off.

I don't think that any 997 Turbos had black emblems, but I am not sure. I don't think a black version is available from Porsche. I have heard that people have just painted the chrome one. I might do this if I have to, but I wonder about the following:

1) Does the Cayenne Turbo S have the same Turbo S script as the 997? It looks the same, but I'm not sure. I think it was available in black.
2) I think the 993 and 997 turbo S had different scripts from the 997. In particular, the S on the 997 is longer.
4) If I buy a chrome replacement, what is the best paint and process to refinish it so that it looks good and wears well?
5) How to I remove the old one safely and then glue on the new one? Is there a template, or should I just mark the car somehow to keep track of the placement?

FYI, I am doing this in conjunction with putting on black quad tips, so I'm trying to get rid of the last bits of chrome on the car.

Thanks.
Check with Eric at Bumperplugs. He can do the correct script in the color you want.
http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php...&path=3_32_160
Old 01-20-2015, 08:47 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 993TurboS

Thanks.
I replaced my 07 chrome OEM emblem with a black one I purchases on eBay. The script was identical. The OEM is glued on tightly and was difficult to remove. I used waxed dental floss at the edges to lift the emblem which comes off in pieces. I broke a lot of floss in the process. I also used painters blue masking tape to frame the OEM emblem so I knew where to mount the replacement. The OEM leaves an outline after the glue is removed so once it was removed it was easy to replace in the same exact location as the original. The replacement worked fine, even in car washes. BTW, a new OEM chrome replacement is $135.00 from SunCoast - WOW!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:25 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A little heat from a blow dryer or heat gun will help remove it as well. If you tape around it and heat it up a little you can use plastic upholstery tools and gently pry and then pull off slowly by hand. I have done this successfully enough to refinish and reuse them before with 3M moulding tape.

Good luck,
DC
Old 01-21-2015, 12:29 AM
Keith Coe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got one in Guards Red from Bumperplugs and it looks great!
Old 01-21-2015, 09:23 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

I just plasti-dipped mine black. Looks great, cost about $6 for a can, no need to remove it, and if I want to return to stock I can. Has held up well for over a year now.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:16 AM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my OEM Turbo badge removed (hanging in garage) and MBR (Motorsports by Reeves) used a new one and painted it and installed it(see below)...came out "perfect". This was done while my wheels were being powder coated gloss black (see avatar) and my stock tips were being ceramic coated satin black (powder coating does not hold up on exhaust tips very well)...I can find out how they prepped the badge and what paint they used if you want?

Name:  CL_4.JPG
Views: 1358
Size:  23.4 KB
Old 01-21-2015, 10:19 AM
MY997
Racer

Here is a picture of my ceramic coated tips...they came great!!!

Name:  CL_6.JPG
Views: 1248
Size:  23.8 KB
Old 01-21-2015, 12:23 PM
cam2008
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MY997
Here is a picture of my ceramic coated tips...they came great!!!

Attachment 904609
Powder coating exhaust tips doesn't work well? Who woulda thunk?
Old 01-21-2015, 01:57 PM
MY997
Racer

Originally Posted by cam2008
Powder coating exhaust tips doesn't work well? Who woulda thunk?
Right? Actually I had the tips on my ISF powder coated gloss black and it worked great but then again these tips are mounted on the rear bumper and don't actually touch the end of the exhaust...you know kind of like an R8 exhaust? so maybe that is the difference of why that worked???

Name:  A1.JPG
Views: 1070
Size:  51.2 KB
Old 01-21-2015, 02:21 PM
hs43
Advanced

I originally bought my grey turbo planning to have the turbo emblem in black, the OPC sold a chrome one and a primed one that could be finished in any colour. I just never got round to it as the chrome one grew on me, on a white car I would probably go for it.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:04 PM
cam2008
Racer

On my Carrera S, I did the Carrera in Plastidip black and the S was in Plastidip Red. It came out pretty good looking on a Silver car. Did the Rock guard in Black, too.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:47 PM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MY997
I had my OEM Turbo badge removed (hanging in garage) and MBR (Motorsports by Reeves) used a new one and painted it and installed it(see below)...came out "perfect". This was done while my wheels were being powder coated gloss black (see avatar) and my stock tips were being ceramic coated satin black (powder coating does not hold up on exhaust tips very well)...I can find out how they prepped the badge and what paint they used if you want?

Attachment 904605
To prep and paint....scuff with 600 grit sandpaper. Clean with Prepsall or other degreaser . Wipe with tack cloth...spray with plastic adhesion promoter (1 light coat....and a wet coat in10 mins)...primer.....sand...degrease...tack....color coat...clear coat...3 wet coats.

Note...this is optimal/ideal prep.. Depending on how **** you are...skip any step :-) just be sure it is scuffed and oil free or the paint won't hold or last...

Good luck,
DC
Old 01-21-2015, 07:47 PM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a video from a really good detailer on removing badges. hope the link works.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:13 AM
993TurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 110 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses. Do you think black is better than nothing at all?

Quick Reply: Questions about replacing the rear emblem