Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Spun" Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 11:26 AM
strato58
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 66 Posts

I need some opinions. I want to get the Fidelity warranty but I have over revs (4 and 5) and a tune. Will I be wasting my $$$ or do you think they will make good if there are ever any issues.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:51 AM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan on getting it when warranty is up in June. I have an 09 and the cams were changed at 33k so I wont be taking any chances. I also doubt that there are too many of these cars with a 6sp that haven't been over revved.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

trying to get my car in tomorrow. Doubt they will diagnose the whole thing in a day. Dealer owes me so they better get on this otherwise I'm going elsewhere. Thing I hate about big jobs like this is getting my car back in the shape I dropped it off. At least it's winter and i'm not going to lose the car for a month in the summer. Praying there is no issue with insurance coverage. Also I still have my P0430 codes for my O2 sensors in bank 1 and bank 2 that are shot. Might consider getting that fixed at the same time. But not worried about emissions
Old 12-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

strato58, my recommendation has always been to return the ECU tuning back to stock prior to driving the car to the shop. Cincy Scott has my Ultimate Motorwerks Tuning Suite, tune and datalogging software. With the tuning suite you can check your engine codes and clear them. One has the option to return the ECU tune back to stock.

The type 4 and 5's could give you some grief. But did they occur from a previous owner?? This is why we are buying the aftermarket protection. Fidelity does a good job at paying legit claims. The camshaft sleeve issue is a engineering component defect.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:10 PM
JBurer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
I have a fidelity warranty, i'll have this over to the shop Monday if possible. I really need 2015 to come around, what a ****ty year it's been now this.... Merry Christmas to me.
Karma from the old M3 sale!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:24 PM
strato58
Pro

Kevin these over revs were done by the previous owner. I guess its best to buy the coverage and fight it out...hopefully I wont need it but this cam issue has me nervous. The car has zero effect from the over revs.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:26 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by strato58
Kevin these over revs were done by the previous owner. I guess its best to buy the coverage and fight it out...hopefully I wont need it but this cam issue has me nervous. The car has zero effect from the over revs.
But is this issue caused from overrevs? I highly doubt it. I had a DME check done before I bought the car and there were no overrevs of concern. I personally drive rather easy and don't beat the **** out of it, never overrev. So I would assume it's just a natural design fault as noted above by Scott.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
But is this issue caused from overrevs? I highly doubt it. I had a DME check done before I bought the car and there were no overrevs of concern. I personally drive rather easy and don't beat the **** out of it, never overrev. So I would assume it's just a natural design fault as noted above by Scott.
I also doubt it, from what ive seen its happening to low mileage cars as well with no overrev history.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:52 PM
ctony66
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a tip. no over revs. Made it 33k before it was done.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:52 PM
strato58
Pro

I don't think the cam problem is an overrev issue. Im just concerned that any overrevs on the dme and they tell you your SOL.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:11 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by strato58
I don't think the cam problem is an overrev issue. Im just concerned that any overrevs on the dme and they tell you your SOL.
It never even came up as a discussion point with the dealer and Fidelity. The guy in the blue car next to mine has type 6 overrevs. He has no warranty, Porsche or otherwise. He tried to get Porsche to goodwill it based on the mileage, and they said no based on the overrevs. So, he gets to pay out of pocket. Luckily for him, he's the shop foreman, so he can do his own work, but parts he's going to have to pay.

I actually tried to convince him to talk to Porsche again, because my car is sitting side by side with the same problem and no meaningful overrevs. I guess he's tired of fighting it.

Name:  IMG_0685.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  54.5 KB
Old 12-27-2014, 01:38 PM
Greekc6
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did it with 18k miles.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:36 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Just a quick update on my end. Fidelity authorized the dealer to inspect the other cam for any issues while they had the engine apart. Turns out that my Bank 2 cam is partially rotated already as well. Here's a picture:

Name:  badcam2.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  52.9 KB

It appears the moral of the story is, if you have one bad, you will likely have both bad, so make sure whomever is doing the work inspects both. (I would have both pinned anyway, but that's just me.

For those of you worried about how long this is taking, I've told them to take their time, because it's free climate controlled winter storage
The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (03-05-2020)
Old 01-01-2015, 10:36 PM
rob.boost
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that there possibly may be no issues with the 2009 cars. I know that 09 provided both types of motors, and I thought I saw someone on here stating they had an 09 with the same issue.

Is it possible that they had an update to this part to fix the issue? How does porsche feel about pinning the cams? Under CPO I bet you only get OEM type replacement, but with aftermarket claims are they more interested in fixing the issues?
Old 01-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Thanks for the update Scott... i'm going to make sure they look at both. So for others who are interested mine is at the dealer and Porsche claimed 35hrs of labor total. Fidelity is sending an inspector out to verify the issue. Looks like it's going to be covered by the warranty "fingers crossed". There is just a debate over hours it's going to take to get it done Porsche opinion vs. Fidelity opinion. I'll know more next week.

Quick Reply: "Spun" Camshaft