Sponsored by:

TPC's magic PASM controller (DSC)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Based on my understanding of the TPC DSC, what benefit would the new shocks provide over a simpler reprogram of the OEM? Also, aren't the OEM made by bilstein?
The coilover kit has the following advantages over oem struts-
1. Ride height adjustability
2. Corner balance adjustability
3. Easability of spring rate change
4. Mechanically better suited for stiffer springs and lower ride height

For normal street use none of the above is really noticeable but for extreme usage they become more apparent. With the coilovers/stiffer springs some of the lower range suppleness is taken away in favor for better movement control of higher range stiffness during very high g loads from very sticky tires.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Also, aren't the OEM made by bilstein?
Yes they are. They share the same basic design. As in the Carrera and Carrera S share the same engine design except one is slightly more hot rodded and includes more features.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:09 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks Tom, both answers make perfect sense.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:33 PM
jazz997tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
The coilover kit has the following advantages over oem struts-
1. Ride height adjustability
2. Corner balance adjustability
3. Easability of spring rate change
4. Mechanically better suited for stiffer springs and lower ride height

For normal street use none of the above is really noticeable but for extreme usage they become more apparent. With the coilovers/stiffer springs some of the lower range suppleness is taken away in favor for better movement control of higher range stiffness during very high g loads from very sticky tires.
Tom, just to confirm with you as well, does the normal setting after this change drive softer than before? I want a little more comfort than oem normal and tighter when its on.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:29 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

From my perspective, it is more comfortable with the TPC DSC, but not due to being softer. It's more comfortable because the car better adapts to changes in the road surface. Before, it dealt with this by making it soft. Now, it deals with it by adjusting the suspension more effectively. Instead of bouncing around on rough sections of road I find the car is firmer but more settled.

A few times I second guessed it due to the fact that it sounded rough, but realized that the noise did not relate to significant physical impact. Don't expect it to behave like a hovercraft... but it is definitely more comfortable than stock (or in my case with GMG springs).
Old 11-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jazz997tt
Tom, just to confirm with you as well, does the normal setting after this change drive softer than before? I want a little more comfort than oem normal and tighter when its on.
Nzskater's description is correct. DSC doesn't make it softer, it makes the OEM suspension better damped over and after bumps. Better damping makes the car more stable over and after bumps which the driver perceive as more comfortable and stable. With the much reduced or eliminated oscillation the toe-steering effect is gone making more grip. And yes the suspension stiffens up at the appropriate corner(s) of the car when you're on it.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:48 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

The car has a better ride and most noticeable is the elimination of the "float" in the comfort mode. The level 2 and 3 are also amazing. It doesn't have the harshness of the OEM set up in sport mode. A great investment in my opinion and it's plug and play.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:58 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob in NY
The car has a better ride and most noticeable is the elimination of the "float" in the comfort mode. The level 2 and 3 are also amazing. It doesn't have the harshness of the OEM set up in sport mode. A great investment in my opinion and it's plug and play.
I wonder why Porsche set the car up the way they did from the factory? Do they think most Americans like the floaty ride?
Old 11-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I wonder why Porsche set the car up the way they did from the factory? Do they think most Americans like the floaty ride?
LoL! I have no idea but it's safe to assume it rides differently from the Euro version..
Old 08-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

circling back around on this. I may be able to buy one of these, but I'm questioning how it feels on the normal setting.

I like float and soft and cushy on setting 1. Am I going to be disappointed with the DSC given my predilection for not feeling bumps?

thanks.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:17 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^ditto, I like the soft stock setting for dd use.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:25 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm getting one
Old 08-28-2015, 05:26 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

I await your review Phillip!
Old 08-28-2015, 05:38 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

in mode 1, i find the ride perfect even on our 3rd world honolulu streets- it's very comfortable ride without the float & less front end dip on braking.
When i drive wifes 07 Boxster S -no PASM- the ride on her car is much stiffer & you can feel the road more than on my TT in mode 1.
my previous car was 02 996C2- put on the porsche X-74 suspension & ride was stiff but not jarring. TT ride with DSC is much better on street.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Cool!

Quick Reply: TPC's magic PASM controller (DSC)