997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPC's magic PASM controller (DSC)

Old 04-25-2019, 12:10 PM
Vital Signs
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really dumb question - my unit is upgraded to the 2 map version. Getting the car out of storage and I forget if I have to press and hold the sport button. Basically need a DSC for dummies instruction set on how to initiate the different modes
Old 04-25-2019, 05:47 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

The roads in Seattle are so crappy, I don't think any module will fix the ride quality.

I would of really considered this if it actually had softened up the car.

I am sure it is a great device for those who track their cars or live somewhere with nice roads. Not where I live unfortunately.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:13 PM
pressure ratio
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

I have driven in Seattle and your roads have nothing on crappy Chicago roads. I installed my DSC controller last week. In normal mode, the car is MUCH more plush than it was stock. Even with the DSC and Sport mode just cruising around the car rides nicer than stock normal mode. I was ecstatic that the car was less jarring when hitting potholes and larger cracks across the road. Of course, there is a noticeable difference in brake dive and throwing the car around as well.

The DSC software 100% makes a difference in the cars suspension traits. Props to DSC to offering a product that works and is user adjustable.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:17 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I always use the second hand market as a tool to figure how good a product is. These boxes are usually only sold for a round a 100-200 bucks off and they usually only come up for sale when someone is moving onto another vehicle and removes mods.

Other items you are lucky to recover 60% of expenses and certain items like exhausts and plenums usually churn.

Originally Posted by pressure ratio
I have driven in Seattle and your roads have nothing on crappy Chicago roads. I installed my DSC controller last week. In normal mode, the car is MUCH more plush than it was stock. Even with the DSC and Sport mode just cruising around the car rides nicer than stock normal mode. I was ecstatic that the car was less jarring when hitting potholes and larger cracks across the road. Of course, there is a noticeable difference in brake dive and throwing the car around as well.

The DSC software 100% makes a difference in the cars suspension traits. Props to DSC to offering a product that works and is user adjustable.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:26 PM
pressure ratio
Advanced

I 100% agree with that. I looked for a used DSC controller and only saw a couple for sale over the last few months. By the time I saw the listings they had already sold. Quick sales at slightly off new prices are a good indication for sure. Especially for an electrical item as people are usually leary to purchase used electrical items.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:34 PM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:31 PM
TTG
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by pressure ratio

I have driven in Chicago and I do agree with you as you guys have creators on your freeways. Chicago, Detroit and NYC definitely takes the cake. You need a Jeep Wrangler to get around

We just have a lot of construction which ruins the roads, unmaintained streets and constant jams as the city is designed for 100 people and now we have 10,000 Amazonians living here. Takes the complete joy out of driving.

If I were keeping my car, I might of given this product a try.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:34 PM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

For me the biggest improvement was in ride compliance - the car is much smoother over bumps and pavement cracks while the handling is improved as well (in standard mode).

In sport mode it really firms up but still has better ride compliance (and thus comfort) over the stock PASM module.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:37 AM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Chevrolet will upgrade z06 suspension software for $380 at the dealer. The upgrade is enough to shave time off of laps at GM test tracks. While I'm a bit upset Porsche doesn't keep refining tech in older cars for a fee, we are lucky enough to have a company like TPC still improving stuff for us. Every 997 turbo owner should own one of these boxes. It modernizes the car where it needs it most. I'll never forget the first time I drove my car aggressively and encountered that dreaded floaty feel. I literally thought something was wrong with my suspension. Thumbs up to TPC!
Old 04-26-2019, 02:16 AM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default goal of DSC for 997 TT?

Novice here ,but what is the goal of this DSC module? I though people want the 997TT for the rawness, manual, and power. Reading some of the posts, they discuss feeling "floaty" or improved
road performance. Is the OEM that bad on the roads-assuming average non track roads.?

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Turboslut
Chevrolet will upgrade z06 suspension software for $380 at the dealer. The upgrade is enough to shave time off of laps at GM test tracks. While I'm a bit upset Porsche doesn't keep refining tech in older cars for a fee, we are lucky enough to have a company like TPC still improving stuff for us. Every 997 turbo owner should own one of these boxes. It modernizes the car where it needs it most. I'll never forget the first time I drove my car aggressively and encountered that dreaded floaty feel. I literally thought something was wrong with my suspension. Thumbs up to TPC!
Old 04-26-2019, 03:51 AM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

The 997.1 does not feel like a Porsche in stock form to say the least. The car comes with electronically adjusted dampeners....you hit the sport button and it stiffens up, non sport mode and it is in a softer setting. It's basically just hard or soft.

The TPC box reads the gyroscopes and accelerometers and makes the suspension active. Stiffening and softening the individual dampeners (in real time) dependent on the g-forces observed by the sensors.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

As well the TPC DSC (replaces the stock PASM control module in about 5 minutes of work) is programable so you can change the initial stiffness of the shock and how fast they change stiffness so you can tune it to match your preferences if you don't like the stock program settings.

Besides the ride and handling improvements the only noticeable change is that the PASM and SPORT modes are no longer linked, you have to press both buttons individually to activate both functions.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:58 PM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

so it is a "must add on" ?

like on a rank of 1-10, where would you say it falls? 10 being amazing.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:31 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm on stock suspension with the DSC box. I really like it -- and I usually just keep it on the Comfort setting (which is amazingly plush, but firm when you start tossing the car around). For all-round street use, it's probably rates no lower than an 8/10. And considering the typical Porsche Tax, it's pretty good value. For building the ultimate track weapon, it probably doesn't rank as high unless you also upgrade to the PSS16 coil overs or other aftermarket electronic damping suspension because you're likely going to want to increase your spring rates (although I suppose you could do that with H&Rs or GMG lowering springs). I really wish there was a slightly stiffer set of factory height springs, or a set of coilovers that allowed for factory height... I already scrape.
The following users liked this post:
Lastdragon (09-22-2020)
Old 04-26-2019, 05:51 PM
pressure ratio
Advanced

Actually, think the DSC becomes more important when you add stiffer rate springs. Imagine a higher spring rate on the stock PSM. It is going to be pretty stiff and possibly bouncy. Using the DSC tuning software will help control things much better and allow a comfortable ride quality. As well as do a better job at keeping the tires on the road surface over rougher roads. The DSC opens up the useable tuning window the stock shock/struts have over the stock PSM. No matter what suspension you have, the DSC controller is a benefit.

A buddy has a 997.1 Turbo with the DCS PSM controller, Tractive DDA - RT coil over package, and pretty high coil spring rates. His car still rides comfortably with those high spring rates. I was actually surprised how the car didn't beat us up over a 3 day road rally. It was still pretty plush considering the parts on the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPC's magic PASM controller (DSC)