Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failure Spoiler Control – None of the usual symptoms!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Failure Spoiler Control – None of the usual symptoms!?!?

Failure Spoiler Control – None of the usual symptoms!?!?

I was reading about all these spoiler failures recently and what do you know, on Monday I finally got mine! After some more research I really don’t know what is causing my problem.

My observations so far:
  • No hydraulic fluid anywhere in the engine compartment or on the pistons themselves. I also took the caps off and they are dry.
  • When I press the spoiler button I hear absolutely nothing from the spoiler motor (engine off but key turned to accessories).
  • Spoiler does not move at all regardless of any input.
  • Checked the fuse (F3, Row A) and its fine.
  • Disconnected the battery for ~10 minutes.
  • I get a Failure Spoiler Control message approximately 1.5 seconds after I press the spoiler button which is the amount of time it normally takes the spoiler to fully deploy. If I press and hold the spoiler button after the failed raise attempt, the light does not go out nor do I get another error message.
  • When I’m driving and reach ~ 75mph, I get the Failure Spoiler Control message and also get it as soon as I drop below 75mph if done within a few seconds. First error message is usually red and the second is usually white. I don’t get any errors when I go below the retraction speed of ~38mph.
  • Tried pulling up on the spoiler while I had someone press the button.
  • The warning (red exclamation point) disappears after you remove the key and doesn’t return until you get the error message again.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

I replaced the spoiler control module on my 993. Not because it failed, but so I could plug and play in a new Ruf module that deployed at a higher speed.

The module in the 993 was under the passenger side glove compartment. I would guess a couple hundred $ at dealer if yours is defective.

Maybe 997 integrates the module with other stuff and can't be replaced on its own.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I replaced the spoiler control module on my 993. Not because it failed, but so I could plug and play in a new Ruf module that deployed at a higher speed.

The module in the 993 was under the passenger side glove compartment. I would guess a couple hundred $ at dealer if yours is defective.

Maybe 997 integrates the module with other stuff and can't be replaced on its own.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm leaning towards something electrical as well.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:44 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Still no luck....any other suggestions?
Old 11-14-2014, 05:13 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I had my first spoiler error yesterday; hit the speed it rises on and it rose properly, but then immediately generated the error. When coming to a stop shortly after it generated the error again and failed to lower.

Switched the car off, key out for a second, then started again. Pressed the spoiler button and generated error again, and failed to lower (and light stayed on as in your case).

Drove another 5km, parked up, switched off the car for a few minutes then switched on and found it was now behaving as normal. Suspect electrical, unsure where to start. Will take a look this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
I had my first spoiler error yesterday; hit the speed it rises on and it rose properly, but then immediately generated the error. When coming to a stop shortly after it generated the error again and failed to lower.

Switched the car off, key out for a second, then started again. Pressed the spoiler button and generated error again, and failed to lower (and light stayed on as in your case).

Drove another 5km, parked up, switched off the car for a few minutes then switched on and found it was now behaving as normal. Suspect electrical, unsure where to start. Will take a look this weekend and let you know how it goes.
Any luck with the trouble shooting?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Still no luck....any other suggestions?
Not as familiar with the 997 Turbo and its spoiler as I am with my 996 and its spoiler but there are probably two relays. The one that controls the raising is bad would be my WAG.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:53 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Any luck with the trouble shooting?
It hasn't faulted again. Have tested via driving and it raising automatically and manually raising via button; both working fine. Unsure what it was.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Not as familiar with the 997 Turbo and its spoiler as I am with my 996 and its spoiler but there are probably two relays. The one that controls the raising is bad would be my WAG.
Any idea where the relays are on the 996 Turbo? Might be similar to the 997...
Old 11-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

It hasn't faulted again. Have tested via driving and it raising automatically and manually raising via button; both working fine. Unsure what it was.
Thanks for the update.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:09 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

May have just ben a little moisture or condensation on a relay switch, that has since dried up a bit? Glad it went back to normal..

Thanks for the update.

DC
Old 11-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Any idea where the relays are on the 996 Turbo? Might be similar to the 997...
The 996 spoiler relays are in relay panel 2. In the 996 Turbo is located in the rear of the passenger compartment. In a Cab it is located at the rear of the roof storage area.

The panel is a rectangular box with its long axis horizontal.

The relays are numbered 1 to 10 starting in the upper left hand corner and moving to the right.

The relay positions 5 and 6 appear to be empty/unused. The 2nd row's left hand relay is number 7 with relay positions 11 and 12 apparently unused/empty too.

Relay #3 (top row, 3rd from the left) is the rear spoiler (wing) extension relay.

Relay #9 (bottom row, 3rd from the left) is the rear spoiler (wing) retraction relay.

Remember the above is for a 996 Turbo.

I can't recall if this info is in the owners manual or not. You should at least check in your car's owners manual to see if it pinpoints the location of the relay panels and what the relay positions control to be sure you are on the right relays.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:55 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by therock88
May have just ben a little moisture or condensation on a relay switch, that has since dried up a bit? Glad it went back to normal..

Thanks for the update.

DC
Hopefully mine is a relay problem or something simple as well.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
The 996 spoiler relays are in relay panel 2. In the 996 Turbo is located in the rear of the passenger compartment. In a Cab it is located at the rear of the roof storage area.

The panel is a rectangular box with its long axis horizontal.

The relays are numbered 1 to 10 starting in the upper left hand corner and moving to the right.

The relay positions 5 and 6 appear to be empty/unused. The 2nd row's left hand relay is number 7 with relay positions 11 and 12 apparently unused/empty too.

Relay #3 (top row, 3rd from the left) is the rear spoiler (wing) extension relay.

Relay #9 (bottom row, 3rd from the left) is the rear spoiler (wing) retraction relay.

Remember the above is for a 996 Turbo.

I can't recall if this info is in the owners manual or not. You should at least check in your car's owners manual to see if it pinpoints the location of the relay panels and what the relay positions control to be sure you are on the right relays.
Thanks I'll need to check if the 997 is the same. Where exactly in the rear passenger compartment?
Old 11-23-2014, 01:37 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Mine faulted again today. Hit the speed required and it rose up as expected, but generated an error and then wouldn't go down.

It was driven in the rain yesterday, and the first time it faulted was after a wash, so the theory of it being moisture related is the most likely. Unsure if I want to start pulling it apart to try resolve given it returns to normal after a restart....

Quick Reply: Failure Spoiler Control – None of the usual symptoms!?!?