Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front grills to protect radiators for 997 turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibanezgod
need either a knife to cut it off or blowdryer to loosen the glue. It's just on there solid. Zunsport said they won't do the grill unless i move the jammers. Also I thought reading above that the grill in front of the jammers was a bad idea and made them less effective.
I have a 9500ci with laser "diffusers" mounted with double sided tape. But on the side intake.

I would mount the new grills with a small hole at top just for the wire to pass over the top. Then either replace with double sided tape again or black zip tie if pressed for tape space.

I doubt they will work if you mount them behind the grill.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:31 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
I have a 9500ci with laser "diffusers" mounted with double sided tape. But on the side intake.

I would mount the new grills with a small hole at top just for the wire to pass over the top. Then either replace with double sided tape again or black zip tie if pressed for tape space.

I doubt they will work if you mount them behind the grill.
Terry,

Mine are mounted behind the grill and works fine up to 200 yards tested last night.

I had a feeling it would work fine. I turn the parking assistance on and even though the grill is a couple of inches away none of the sensors beeped until I put my hand a foot away from the sensor.

I posted a video of it working behind a grill on YouTube.

Thanks - Sid
Old 11-10-2014, 11:25 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sidwin
Terry, Mine are mounted behind the grill and works fine up to 200 yards tested last night. I had a feeling it would work fine. I turn the parking assistance on and even though the grill is a couple of inches away none of the sensors beeped until I put my hand a foot away from the sensor. I posted a video of it working behind a grill on YouTube. Thanks - Sid
I'm about to say screw it and just get the normal grill. I have a V1. Doesn't prevent lasers but it's usually at least a good enough warning, could just take a risk that they work, without going through the trouble of moving the jammers and cutting the grill. A bit torn.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:57 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Well i received the grills and installed them today. I went back and forth with Zunsport on carving out spots for the laser diffuser, but ended up caving because I didn't want to bother moving the jammers, I didn't really want cutouts, and i'm taking a shot in the dark with sidwin's recommendation that they aren't blocked with the grill.

Overall i'm very satisfied with the quality of the product, finish is fantastic, and it really makes the front end look newer, modern and refined compared to the gaping holes that are on the turbo.

I spent about 30 minutes first vacuuming out all the crap that was in the vents, unreal how much those things capture in the fall. Tons of leaves and just debris in the road.

Few things to note. Don't tape up the car, put these in carefully. Why? because if you tape up the holes and put the grills on, good luck getting the tape off if the vent is over them. I spent 30 minutes trying to somehow get the tape off that was under the grill. Absolutely a pain in the ***.

Another thing, these are the types of grills that once they are on, good luck getting them off. they snap on and it's going to be extremely difficult to reach behind them to pop the clamps off. Keep that in mind.
Attached Images      
Old 11-19-2014, 12:00 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

more pics

here you can see the before and after, along with that damn piece of tape that took FOREVER to get out.
Attached Images       
Old 11-19-2014, 12:32 AM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you should have slid the sensors over an inch. i don't like them butting up against the edge of the grills. maybe it won't have a negative reaction but the considering all the laser jammer is infrared light shooting back, i was worried about the sensor butting up against the mesh.

that's why on my car i moved the sensors from the turn signals down to the stock grill. During my testing at 200 yards i was well covered.

these grills are easy to remove. Use a pry hook tool from harbor freight. $5 bucks and you can get it off easily. Push grill in and pull the tabs down. you get 2 tabs down the whole grill is coming out.

Yeah the tape is PITA. easiest thing to do is bend the tabs outward. Then put the top in and rotate the bottom. Use your fingers to push the tabs up to prevent scratching the bumper. My plastic vent piece has a little scratch but honestly could care less.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:52 PM
AreaOne
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

In addition to bending the tabs behind the bumper, I also used small black zipties through the mesh to secure it to the vertical part of the stock grills...just in case.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Originally Posted by AreaOne
In addition to bending the tabs behind the bumper, I also used small black zipties through the mesh to secure it to the vertical part of the stock grills...just in case.
mine are on there very tight. I'd be shocked if they came loose. I had to push those babies in there very tightly to get the clamp to loop around the back of the bumper. Out of the 4-5 clamps only 2-3 are really necessary based on the placement. 1 of them doesn't click onto anything properly. But don't care. Worked out fine.

sid - the issue with getting them off is that you have to push the grills in even further than you did to get the clamp on since they wrap up behind the bumper. They do not come off easy. Especially with pushing a tool in between those tiny holes in the grill. It's not easy to maneuver.

Anyways, i'm happy and love the look. Without these grills the turbo is like a whale eating plankton with those giant vents.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:36 PM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Resurrected this thread and thought I'd post pre-and-post pics of the ZunSport Grills on a Basalt Black .1:
Attached Images   
Old 06-16-2015, 01:27 AM
Ibanezgod
Drifting

Worth every penny. Love them. Even after the little delay
Old 06-16-2015, 08:13 PM
MONKY LONDON
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does Gen2 suffer this same issue?
Old 06-17-2015, 08:37 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MONKY LONDON
Does Gen2 suffer this same issue?
What issue?
Old 06-18-2015, 05:02 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I mounted a set of rennline ones on the inside of my bumper when I got the car. Their fit wasn't nearly as nice as these look. If I had to do it again, I'd figure out how to rubber coat (plasti-dip spray most likely) some chicken wire to save some $ (since I had to cut the rennline ones to shape myself, and figure out my own mounting solution, since theirs didn't work with the headlight washers).

However once mounted, they don't really change the look of the car since they sit behind the stock trim.

Edit: Rennline reached out to me after being alerted to this post, got me to take some pictures, and are working to correct their fit.

Last edited by MadScience; 07-08-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:18 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MadScience
I mounted a set of rennline ones on the inside of my bumper when I got the car. Their fit wasn't nearly as nice as these look. If I had to do it again, I'd figure out how to rubber coat (plasti-dip spray most likely) some chicken wire to save some $ (since I had to cut the rennline ones to shape myself, and figure out my own mounting solution, since theirs didn't work with the headlight washers).

However once mounted, they don't really change the look of the car since they sit behind the stock trim.
These grills look great! If you do choose to do them from the inside (like I did), I have created a DIY that walks you through the process.

I am happy with the results and they have held up wonderfully for quite some time now with no issues.

Here is a LINK to my DIY of you decide to try that method.

And here are the results:

Old 06-19-2015, 01:44 AM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the time, I pulled the bumper without removing the wheels. IIRC mostly because I didn't want to risk whacking the PCCBs with anything.

Quick Reply: Front grills to protect radiators for 997 turbo.