Sponsored by:

One hell of a day

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 03:57 PM
xxdachosen1xx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One hell of a day

I've always dreamed of someday owning a 911 turbo someday well yesterday my dream came true purchasing a slightly used 997.1 turbo yesterday. I drive over 1000 miles to pick the car up, after signing the paper work I was off in my new ride. My dream came crashing down within about 30 mins of my drive back home on my 1000 mile journey home, the car threw an error code telling me the car was running hot so I slowed down and preceded cautiously. I drove the car for roughly 10 mins then the car started smoking so I pulled over and had the car towed to the nearest Porsche dealer which is Edison, NJ. So I'm waiting anxiously to hear the verdict of my car. My question to you all is; how much harm does driving while the car is hot for 7-10mins highway speeds 6th gear 60 mph. The car was smoking like a train when I stopped.

P.S. I did have a ppi done on the vehicle last Friday.

Should I sue the dealership or PPI inspection mechanic and also you think if I did do I have a case?
Old 09-16-2014, 04:12 PM
kent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

woow, thats horrible car buying experience, especially for purchasing your dream car. sounds like crack head or something. hope everything goes well.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:19 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Was there a reason you keep driving after the light came on? Did you get the car from a dealership? If so, why not take it right back? Hope you get everything worked out ASAP.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:19 PM
xxdachosen1xx
Advanced

Tell me about it kent, I literally spent 30 mins with my new ride and she went up in smoke. Also the car was a previous CPO vehicle with 1year left of warranty but I think it will be voided due to the fact I bought the car from and independent dealer. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:21 PM
xxdachosen1xx
Advanced

I purchased from a dealer and I wouldn't trust their word due to my experience yesterday. I drove with the light on because I was on the freeway with no shoulder.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:09 PM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

wow that sucks. that's why i really don't care for PPI. i rather know the history of the car because once you drive it off the, the PPI inspector can claim you did the damage. i rather get to know the owner. that sucks about the CPO. maybe it is the coolant leak hose. i drove 1500 miles to come home. i had to admit i was so relieved to make it home in one piece.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:32 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

You should be covered under the Lemons Laws. Call an attorney also to find out. I used Fred Davis who is one of the attorneys at http://www.lemonlaw.com/ or (215) 540-8888.

In these situations it is best to know your options, but having driven as far as you did your case may be weak, but call the attorney. I have no affiliation except that I used their services with great results.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:04 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 951 Likes on 424 Posts

Just out of curiosity why is "who do I sue" the first thing that comes to mind? Things break, just part of life. Why not give the dealer a chance to fix it?

Sorry about your luck, hope it gets fixed easily and quickly so you can enjoy it.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Just out of curiosity why is "who do I sue" the first thing that comes to mind? Things break, just part of life. Why not give the dealer a chance to fix it?

Sorry about your luck, hope it gets fixed easily and quickly so you can enjoy it.
A pretty natural reaction to a serious problem involving a lot (at least to me) of money. I do agree there are lots of details to fill in here before skipping to that step.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:56 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Keep a cool, intelligent mind. Don't let the anger take over or you will make a rash decision that you'll regret. Obviously you are covered. You can place a stop payment on the check or a hire lawyer if needed. But speak with the dealer rep. They must know that they have to honor your warranty or face some type of litigation. It will work out. Good luck

Jay
Old 09-16-2014, 09:41 PM
xxdachosen1xx
Advanced

Disden the reason why this is the first thing that comes to mind is I trusted the dealers recommendation of the shop to conduct the PPI and both the Porsche indy and dealer I purchased the vehicle form did not check this most basic fluids needed to keep the vehicle running. This is just pure negligence, i'm sorry if you can't handle checking most basic fluids then why should I trust you again to fix my vehicle. Who's to say if their is any irreversible damage done to the vehicle after over heating. They could literally patch the car just enough to send me on my way to get out of their hair.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:27 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

The CPO *should* follow the VIN, not the owner. It's how it has worked on BMW's and MB's I've owned in the past.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xxdachosen1xx
Disden the reason why this is the first thing that comes to mind is I trusted the dealers recommendation of the shop to conduct the PPI and both the Porsche indy and dealer I purchased the vehicle form did not check this most basic fluids needed to keep the vehicle running. This is just pure negligence, i'm sorry if you can't handle checking most basic fluids then why should I trust you again to fix my vehicle. Who's to say if their is any irreversible damage done to the vehicle after over heating. They could literally patch the car just enough to send me on my way to get out of their hair.
First, I want to say I am sorry for your experience. I must say that you were responsible for checking out your vehicle thoroughly. It sounds like you were not there when the PPI was performed.This was the most crucial inspection and you should have been on site to ensure the inspection was performed thoroughly.

it may be something minor, I would not rush to get a lawyer but everyone seems to like spending more money before trying to speaking directly to the other party.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2014, 11:04 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a "thorough" ppi done on my '88 930 last December, all great!
Just finished a complete 30k+ restoration........yeah ppi.
Sid is right, hell we still text each other 3 months later!
Old 09-17-2014, 12:19 AM
ok-cami
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

In Connecticut, my understanding is all vehicles sold by a dealer have a minimum legally required 30 day warranty.
I suspect this is likely standard practice in most states.

Quick Reply: One hell of a day