Sponsored by:

Alignment recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 12:24 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Alignment recommendations

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good street/dd alignment spec?

I have a mix of highway/city/twisties that I drive. Today, I'm at stock 997 TT specs and the front end tramlines and doesn't feel as planted as i would prefer.

I have eibach lowering springs and adjustable sways if that matters. Thanks!

--Scott
Old 08-29-2014, 04:09 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Because the shop I was using is incompetent, I was able to sample two different alignments in rapid sequence. One had -1.5* camber in the front and -1.0* camber in the rear, and the other had the opposite, -1.0* in front and -1.5* in the rear. No toe-in to speak of. The former is so much sharper and enjoyable.

LP
Old 08-30-2014, 11:17 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by L_perm
Because the shop I was using is incompetent, I was able to sample two different alignments in rapid sequence. One had -1.5* camber in the front and -1.0* camber in the rear, and the other had the opposite, -1.0* in front and -1.5* in the rear. No toe-in to speak of. The former is so much sharper and enjoyable.

LP
Thanks LP, I think I have as much camber as I can right now in the front. I'm going to look into the GT3 alignment and see how far that is from what I have. However, that may be too aggressive for the street.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:07 PM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

On my GT3 (7.1) I'm running a conservative track setup that rides great on street as well.

-2.2 front
-2.5 back
1/16 out front toe
3/16 in back toe
Sway bars softer front and hard back
Turret rear toe links with locking plates

Works great with stock MPSS 19" and NT01 18"

Ran similar on my 6tt but a bit more front camber
Old 08-30-2014, 02:28 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

After doing some research, I don't think I'm likely to get much more than -1 in front without different strut mounts. Sound right to you guys?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:55 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
After doing some research, I don't think I'm likely to get much more than -1 in front without different strut mounts. Sound right to you guys?
The max you can go on the fronts with the stock suspension is about -1.2. I had my alignment done last year after installing GMG springs and based on the recommendation from most folks on the forums I went with -1.2 upfront with neutral Toe and -1.8 on the rears. Car is very stable and planted on turns, this setup works well on the street and has a nice aesthetic stance as wheel.

GL
Art
Old 08-30-2014, 03:17 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aa909
The max you can go on the fronts with the stock suspension is about -1.2. I had my alignment done last year after installing GMG springs and based on the recommendation from most folks on the forums I went with -1.2 upfront with neutral Toe and -1.8 on the rears. Car is very stable and planted on turns, this setup works well on the street and has a nice aesthetic stance as wheel.

GL
Art
Thanks, Art. Does the camber get adjusted in the cabin from the top of the shock, or from the bottom?
Old 08-31-2014, 11:59 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Thanks, Art. Does the camber get adjusted in the cabin from the top of the shock, or from the bottom?
I'm not 100% sure, but I know to access the top of the rear shocks you need to take apart the interior of the rear, and when I brought it in for alignment they definitely didn't do that. I'm sure someone with more experience can chime in.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:27 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wright Motorsport is in your backyard, I don't think you will get much better than that for car setup. Their IMSA teams have been the fastest on the track lately, and the drivers have attributed it to suspension setup by WMS.

http://www.wrightmotorsports.com/
Old 08-31-2014, 08:35 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Wright Motorsport is in your backyard, I don't think you will get much better than that for car setup. Their IMSA teams have been the fastest on the track lately, and the drivers have attributed it to suspension setup by WMS.

+1...Wright is one of the best "high class" in the country!
Old 08-31-2014, 10:38 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GL
Art
I reckon if you got -1/1.1 deg neg out of the front that would be it with stock. Maybe once you drop the car you may get a bit more. As others have said better use the tarrat top c/plates and a set of GT3 LFCA''s. 1.4 is about all i'd go on the fronts for street. I tried a number of settings and that was what I settled on. For track 2.0 on the front is good but again you need the plates and LFCA's to get that happening.
Old 09-01-2014, 12:51 AM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

I'm not 100% sure, but I know to access the top of the rear shocks you need to take apart the interior of the rear, and when I brought it in for alignment they definitely didn't do that. I'm sure someone with more experience can chime in.
Yes it's done from the top
Old 09-01-2014, 11:35 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin

Yeah, I've been using Bill at Performance Alignment for years, but this may be a better application for Wright to tackle. He was a miracle worker on my 993tt and NSX though.

Quick Reply: Alignment recommendations