Sponsored by:

Vibration in gas pedal and center console

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:53 AM
Cameronc08
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in gas pedal and center console

I recently (within the past 400 miles) had the following installed on my 2007 turbo;
Numeric short shifter
Headers
Sachs 2.5 clutch (stock flywheel)
Engine mounts
Tranny mounts
GT2 slave cylinder conversion
I have noticed a moderate vibration in the gas pedal, that appears to be getting progressively worst. Doesn't seem to matter what oil temp or rpm range. Also, I am noticing when I give the car boost or a little more aggressive gas, the entire center console (aluminum console) shakes and vibrates to the point of having the change in the ashtray jiggling around. If I rest my arm on the console hard enough while accelerating I don't hear/feel it. I'm just wondering if this is normal with the new parts I have installed or if I should be concerned? Car is fine otherwise, but I'm trying not to drive aggressively until I get to the 500 mile clutch break in. Also, the car is slightly out of alignment and I need to get that fixed, but not sure that will cause this amount of vibration. Thanks guys.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

1. I hope that the engine and tranny mounts are installed correctly and you are not having metal - metal contact causing vibration to be transmitted to the cabin.

2. Not sure what the durameter isolators you have bought in the engine/tranny mounts you have purchased. But the higher the durameter the "harder" the rubber and the more Vibration gets transmitted from your engine/tranny to the body of the car.

The OEM engine and transmission mounts are relatively "soft" and therefore provide excellent isolation against this kind of annoying resonance vibration...the downside of soft mounts is that you don't get any structural stiffness from the engine / tranny. In my track car, I am all "solid" but I only drive that car on a smooth track and not public (crappy) roads.

If everything is installed correctly and if you don't like this kind of feel then you will have to go to "softer" mounts...
Old 08-19-2014, 12:36 PM
Cameronc08
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mounts are from RSS I believe, the street version. I wouldn't mind the excess vibration if I knew it was normal. The center console noticeably rattles with aggressive acceleration so I'm just looking for peace of mind before I have a day off to head to the shop again (going to be getting new coolant pipes from sharkwerks). The vibration in the gas pedal is what worries me a bit, but, the car is still relatively new to me even before these parts were installed, and coming from an e92 m3 with a DCT to this maybe I am just paranoid and need to remember this is a much more powerful car where you are gonna feel things. Note that the vibration in the pedal is there even if my foot is simply resting on the accelerator without actually depressing it at all. The clutch and brakes seem fine.

Quick Reply: Vibration in gas pedal and center console