Sponsored by:

Question about Turbo Oil cooling

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 02:15 PM
cam2008
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Turbo Oil cooling

Is the turbos oil cooled from the same reservoir (sump) as the engine?
There isn't a separate oiling system, right?
Old 08-18-2014, 04:30 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by cam2008
Is the turbos oil cooled from the same reservoir (sump) as the engine?
There isn't a separate oiling system, right?
They are oiled...but not a separate system. All oil integrated and contained in crankcase, oil tank and small area in each turbo...but all part of engine oil system - not separate.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:54 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

If you have the GT1 engine, you have a 2 stage dry sump. The oil that feeds the engine main bearings and rod bearings feeds the turbochargers. The oil supply lines to each turbocharger are pressure fed off each bank.

The bearing housings 3K KO4's are water-cooled. To promote maximum life out the turbine side sealing rings, I recommend a cool down cycle or 30 to 45 seconds of engine idle time prior to engine shutdown.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:00 PM
512bb
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

^^ What "Kevin" said.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:46 AM
sidwin
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
If you have the GT1 engine, you have a 2 stage dry sump. The oil that feeds the engine main bearings and rod bearings feeds the turbochargers. The oil supply lines to each turbocharger are pressure fed off each bank.

The bearing housings 3K KO4's are water-cooled. To promote maximum life out the turbine side sealing rings, I recommend a cool down cycle or 30 to 45 seconds of engine idle time prior to engine shutdown.
you know kevin you would make a boat load if you made a harness to make a hks/greddy turbo timer work with these cars. it is crazy IMHO that there isn't a single turbo timer made for porsche that doesn't require aftermarket alarm. i drive like a wuss and my street takes about 30 seconds to get to my house and another 30 seconds to get the garage door open. by then it is more than enough but i liked having a turbo timer on my turbo cars. it's great for fogger up the garage and kill mosquitos

Sid

Quick Reply: Question about Turbo Oil cooling