Sponsored by:

Will GT2 rear swaybar fit 2010+ 997.2 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 12:41 PM
zagaone
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Will GT2 rear swaybar fit 2010+ 997.2 turbo

I have tried the search and go through a lot of post. I know for sure the gt2 sway bars will fit the .1 997 turbos and is used as an upgrade. But will it fit the 2010+ 997.2 turbos with the different 3.8 turbo engine? Still an upgrade option when only changing the rear sway bar in the .2? I did tried the search and could not find a clear answer for the .2s? Thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 04:19 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, it should fit.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:11 PM
zagaone
Advanced

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 913 Likes on 513 Posts

Got to watch the clearance between the bar and the aluminum cross member. The .2 non-GT cars have different cross member than .1. The .2 GT cars have .1 cross member. The .2 cross member is beefier. When the sway bar rotates as the suspension travels the bowed portion of the bar may contact and blind to the cross member. The ride height have an influence on this because ride height changes the distance of where the drop links mount and any reference point to the body. Could cheat the system by shortening the rear drop links to get the bowed portion of the bar to a safe zone or make spacers to space the bar rearward.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
zagaone
Advanced

Thanks Tom. FedEx is delivering the DSC box tomorrow. Hope is as good as the reviews says. Completely stock suspension. I'm looking into combining the TPC DSC with a more aggressive alignment & 245/35/19 (f)-305/30/19(r) PSS and if there still some understeer I will look into replacing just the rear sway bar for a stiffer one like the GT3.2 rs or the one from the GT2. Do you know the difference between the GT3 rs and GT2 sway bars?

Last edited by zagaone; 08-13-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:16 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zagaone
Thanks Tom. FedEx is delivering the DSC box tomorrow. Hope is as good as the reviews says. Completely stock suspension. I'm looking into combining the TPC DSC with a more aggressive alignment & 245/35/19 (f)-305/30/19(r) PSS and if there still some understeer I will look into replacing just the rear sway bar for a stiffer one like the GT3.2 rs or the one from the GT2. Do you know the difference between the GT3 rs and GT2 sway bars?
You're welcome. I think you'll be very happy with just plugg'n the DSC alone. Free feel to email us if you need help with alignment specs.

.2 GT3/RS/GT2 have the same rear bar. Part # 997 333 701 96.

Here are photos of what the tight clearance to the cross member I was talking about. This car is a 997.2TT with TPC bar. The photos where taken with the car on a lift with the suspension on full droop. The gap will reduce when the suspension is loaded. Again ride height will impact the clearance.
Attached Images    
Old 08-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Actually the clearance issue is at the top of the cross member, not bottom. Sorry about that. The caffeine hasn't quite kicked yet this morning.

Just to clarify, this is a none issue on any car with .1 cross member. The .2 GT cars have the .1 cross member. Some have tried to swap .1 cross member to .2 non-GT cars, I think it can be done(without cutting) if the car has manual transmission but not PDK. Its almost like the .2 cross member was designed specifically to conform to the shape of the PDK. Some of us in the industry refer to the .2 cross member as the "PDK cross member". TPC rear bar has less bow to it then the stock GT3/2 bar.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 08-14-2014 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added last paragraph
Old 08-14-2014, 01:28 PM
zagaone
Advanced

Thanks Tom. Great explanation and photos. I will try just the DSC with a better alignment over the weekend and report on how it goes. Will pm you on more aggresive alignment specs for mostly street use on a fully stock suspension at stock height. Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:43 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tom, i've got '07 997.1TT with the DSC- looking at getting the GT2 rear bar- should i get the .2 GT2/GT3RS bar? or .1 GT2 bar for the car- or are they the same.? thanks
Old 08-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgrpph
Tom, i've got '07 997.1TT with the DSC- looking at getting the GT2 rear bar- should i get the .2 GT2/GT3RS bar? or .1 GT2 bar for the car- or are they the same.? thanks
You should get TPC front & rear adjustable sway bar set. The reason why I say this is because by using a stiffer rear sway bar alone it will reduce or even eliminate push(understeer) that is inherit characteristic on a AWD car, and make the steering input "feel" better but the side effect is it makes the car loose(oversteer) during corner exit throttle. In the case of the 997TT not many people are aware because the PSM applies the rear brakes to prevent the rear from stepping out. That's why a lot of 997TT's are using up rear brake pads way quicker than the front. On track the subtle PSM rear brake engagement will kill the lap time and elevate rear brake temperature.

With a matching set of TPC sway bars, the front will calm down the rear since sway bars work by transferring load diagonally across the front to rear of a car. TPC sway bars will fit a .1 997TT with stock suspension using stock drop links.

To answer your other question, .1 GT2, .2 GT2RS, .2 GT3/RS/4.0 have the same rear sway bar. The part number is listed in post #6.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 08-18-2014 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added last sentence in first paragraph
Old 08-21-2014, 08:27 AM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
You should get TPC front & rear adjustable sway bar set. The reason why I say this is because by using a stiffer rear sway bar alone it will reduce or even eliminate push(understeer) that is inherit characteristic on a AWD car, and make the steering input "feel" better but the side effect is it makes the car loose(oversteer) during corner exit throttle. In the case of the 997TT not many people are aware because the PSM applies the rear brakes to prevent the rear from stepping out. That's why a lot of 997TT's are using up rear brake pads way quicker than the front. On track the subtle PSM rear brake engagement will kill the lap time and elevate rear brake temperature.

With a matching set of TPC sway bars, the front will calm down the rear since sway bars work by transferring load diagonally across the front to rear of a car. TPC sway bars will fit a .1 997TT with stock suspension using stock drop links.

To answer your other question, .1 GT2, .2 GT2RS, .2 GT3/RS/4.0 have the same rear sway bar. The part number is listed in post #6.
Tom - do you offer only one size sways for the .2 turbo? I've been to your website and your list stage 1, 2 & 3 suspension kits and the stage 2 & 3 clearly show a different colored set of sway bars. So I was curious if they were different or not?

Also I want to order the DSC control box and have sent Harris an e-mail but he never replied. Can you help me?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NickS
Tom - do you offer only one size sways for the .2 turbo? I've been to your website and your list stage 1, 2 & 3 suspension kits and the stage 2 & 3 clearly show a different colored set of sway bars. So I was curious if they were different or not?

Also I want to order the DSC control box and have sent Harris an e-mail but he never replied. Can you help me?

Hi NickS,

We offer one size of sway bars for the 997 chassis period. They were developed for 997 pro racing programs. Same bars are on the 2x consecutive Continental Tire Challenge GS Class Championship Winning RumBum Racing 997. Marcus and TRG also raced with our 997 bars. Anyway, our 997 bars are "shaped" similar to the OEM GT3 bars with 5 adjustment holes** in front and 4 adjustment holes in the rear. There are some differences in suspension geometry within the 997 family(Carrera, C4, TT, GT2/3) but they share the same polar moment of inertia so one size of sway bars with adjustment holes will cover the 997 chassis for us. Some aftermarket companies offer differently shaped bars likely for the reason of retaining the existing drop links was a design criteria.

** Denotes C4's and Turbo's cannot use the 2 stiffest holes due to front axle interference. We recommend either middle hole or one from full soft on C4's and Turbo's, which is ~50% stiffer than OEM .1 GT3 bar.

A hefty front bar like ours is preferred by many pro and top level club racers who trail deep into corners to achieve higher entry speed. Once the entry is completed a milder rear bar setting combined with way stiff front will get the power down hard to launch the car through the exit without getting loose.

Sorry for getting side tracked. Back to answering your original question, we offer the same 997 front & rear bars for all of our suspension stages as they are the foundation for our handling/driving approach. Some of the bars are powder coated different colors for racing series regulation but they perform exactly the same.

PS- I mentioned to Harris about your email. For some reason it went to spam folder but he retrieved and responded to it. Sorry about that.

Regards,
Tom
Old 08-21-2014, 02:09 PM
NickS
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Hi NickS,

We offer one size of sway bars for the 997 chassis period. They were developed for 997 pro racing programs. Same bars are on the 2x consecutive Continental Tire Challenge GS Class Championship Winning RumBum Racing 997. Marcus and TRG also raced with our 997 bars. Anyway, our 997 bars are "shaped" similar to the OEM GT3 bars with 5 adjustment holes** in front and 4 adjustment holes in the rear. There are some differences in suspension geometry within the 997 family(Carrera, C4, TT, GT2/3) but they share the same polar moment of inertia so one size of sway bars with adjustment holes will cover the 997 chassis for us. Some aftermarket companies offer differently shaped bars likely for the reason of retaining the existing drop links was a design criteria.

** Denotes C4's and Turbo's cannot use the 2 stiffest holes due to front axle interference. We recommend either middle hole or one from full soft on C4's and Turbo's, which is ~50% stiffer than OEM .1 GT3 bar.

A hefty front bar like ours is preferred by many pro and top level club racers who trail deep into corners to achieve higher entry speed. Once the entry is completed a milder rear bar setting combined with way stiff front will get the power down hard to launch the car through the exit without getting loose.

Sorry for getting side tracked. Back to answering your original question, we offer the same 997 front & rear bars for all of our suspension stages as they are the foundation for our handling/driving approach. Some of the bars are powder coated different colors for racing series regulation but they perform exactly the same.

PS- I mentioned to Harris about your email. For some reason it went to spam folder but he retrieved and responded to it. Sorry about that.

Regards,
Tom
Awesome..... thanks for the reply.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:22 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

If you have PDK a GT2 or even GT3 rear sway bar will not fit. As pointed out the rear crossmember on PDK cars is different.

Just get the TPC sways...they know what they are doing.

Quick Reply: Will GT2 rear swaybar fit 2010+ 997.2 turbo