Sponsored by:

Newbie Questions on PCCB

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 08:57 PM
carlvr
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Questions on PCCB

Hi all. For street use only. I like to know if it's really necessary. To bed in the brakes. I came across the procedure Porsche recommends in total911.com. How to bed in PCCB. Car i am looking at has 6,000 miles and never tracked. And don't know if this was already done or not.

Also, are the ceramics that fragile. That a stone can easily chip them. There's quite a few roads where i live. That are not in the greatest shape. Kicking up some stones would not be unusual. Not sure if i am posting in the right forum. Sorry if i am. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:28 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm Not an expert but IIRC bedding the brakes is required when you install new pads or rotors to make sure the braking surface of the rotors and pads mate properly for maximum contact surface area. But if the car has 6K miles on the original brakes I'd say they're pretty much "bedded" at this point.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:04 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

^agree.

In heavy rain once, got some gravel in the wheel, but it was not a problem. Am at 83K on them now. New front pads at 74K, but rotors still perfect.

What was a problem, however, was that the first fraction of a second braking on wet PCCB rotors, there is no bite. Scary if you do not expect it first time, but you learn to know it's coming. Helps to tap the pedal lightly now and then to keep them dried out.

Other than that, love all the benefits.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Would you mind posting pics of your rotors? Thanks

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
^agree.

In heavy rain once, got some gravel in the wheel, but it was not a problem. Am at 83K on them now. New front pads at 74K, but rotors still perfect.

What was a problem, however, was that the first fraction of a second braking on wet PCCB rotors, there is no bite. Scary if you do not expect it first time, but you learn to know it's coming. Helps to tap the pedal lightly now and then to keep them dried out.

Other than that, love all the benefits.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:45 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

They look pristine, no cracks or scratches. Don't know what a crappy cell phone pic would tell you that a dealer inspection with their new $5K measurement tool wouldn't. As confirmed a month ago before I went on a 8K mile road trip.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:33 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with everyone above.. No need to bed in pads with 6 k miles. I changed my fronts pads at 55k miles and still have the original rear pads with 70k miles.

Terry is right. Be very careful when brakes are wet.. I love my ceramics.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:54 PM
carlvr
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes sense that with 6K. No need to bed them in.

As far as stones chipping the rotors. Although possible. Odds are that would be very rare. Thanks guys!
Old 08-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Same thoughts here...love PCCB. In my pcar career I own/have owned a total of 4 pcars with PCCB. Over 100k miles

Invest in a threaded index pin (not sure what they are formally called), to thread into the hub to aid in installing and removing wheels so you don't drop the wheel (barrel) on the rotor and damage the ceramic rotor.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:51 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Just a quick observation over the years with the 996TT/GT2 and 997TT. It is the rear rotors that get the damage due to rocks and debris. The front tires are throwing the debris into the rear wheels/rotors or?? You will find that many folks just run them. And then they replace the rotors with a steel option. Very few owners step up and buy new rotors.. Porsche does offer reman rotors (ceramics) as a cheaper option vs buying new.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:07 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

^ Kevin : Where do you get the reman rotors? Do they trade the old ones?
Old 08-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Same thoughts here...love PCCB. In my pcar career I own/have owned a total of 4 pcars with PCCB. Over 100k miles

Invest in a threaded index pin (not sure what they are formally called), to thread into the hub to aid in installing and removing wheels so you don't drop the wheel (barrel) on the rotor and damage the ceramic rotor.
Picture?

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions on PCCB