Sponsored by:

Is my car totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by kchu221
Thank you very much Sid! you've been a great help! the adjuster is coming out today to take a look at the car, well see what happens...

Be careful. The adjuster can lowball the estimate.

My advice is you should find a Porsche Approved Collision Center in your area and get the car there for a damage assessment.

Porsche is pretty clear on what this entails.

One thing that is very important is the car be partially torn down and placed on a special alignment bench to determine if and by how much chassis/tub hard points are out of position. Porsche requires these be brought back into position. This is an expensive process and many insurance companies balk at paying for this.

But the car will not be fixed according to Porsche's requirements if this is not done and done right.

Side impacts are very bad. They damage the car in a way that is hard to repair. And the damage in the form of out of place hard points may not be confined to the side that took the impact. The other side can have been damaged in this regard as well. The only way to know is to check.

To be repaired to Porsche standards, the car should be repaired at a PACC. All parts should be new parts bought from PCNA and through an authorized dealer. All mechanical work should be performed by a Porsche tech.

I would hazard a guess the damage estimate will approach $40K. But I'm not sure the car is a good candidate to repair given the type of damage it sustained.

By getting the car properly evaluated by a shop that knows all there is to know about what it takes to properly repair these cars you get a more accurate estimate of the cost. Were I you my goal would be to have the car declared a total loss and move on.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:25 PM
mdkim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About a month ago I rear ended a pick-up going 15 mph in my '08 TT. Zero damage to the truck as I slid under him and into his hitch. Attached are pics. Car was deemed a total loss a week ago with estimated repair in excess of $40k. I could hardly believe it.

Anyways, I took less to keep the car and will see what I can get/do for it (topic for another thread).

Good luck.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:56 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkim
About a month ago I rear ended a pick-up going 15 mph in my '08 TT. Zero damage to the truck as I slid under him and into his hitch. Attached are pics. Car was deemed a total loss a week ago with estimated repair in excess of $40k. I could hardly believe it.

Anyways, I took less to keep the car and will see what I can get/do for it (topic for another thread).

Good luck.

Wow 15mph front end "collision" and total a loss. Very surprising but that is a good sign for the op

But I assume your engine, transmission were 100% unaffected. If so you can easily part out the drive train and sell the engine for a very nice dollar value. Do you mind me asking what you got for the "salvaged wreck"?
Old 08-07-2014, 01:32 PM
kchu221
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj
Wow brother I'm glad you are okay. You are very fortunate.

Although for some reason I cannot see the pictures it sounds pretty bad to me.. I would push for a total of the car. It will never be the same and not worth anything either.
Good luck and remember you are in a war with the insurance company..
The inspector actually called me yesterday and was actually agreeing with me how much the repair will be after speaking with the body shop... he was a very cool guy that know a thing or two about Porsche and their prices on the replacement parts from the factory.. he also told me he had a long night coming for him as he was going to work over time to write a full detail statement to the insurance company about the damages so I really hope to hear the good news later today. but thanks Phillip!

Originally Posted by Cameronc08
Kevin, this is terrible! So glad you're ok and I hope everything turns out in your favor. Was really hoping to see your car in person one of these days. Looks like a trip to Autotalent is in order. My car is still there. If your car does end up being totaled out, maybe I'll get to see you rolling in a 997.2tts, or an m4 instead!
hey Cameron! thanks man... yea it sucks bro... I only had the car for 4 months too... but I did see your car there as I was there last night, you had some goodies put on! haha enjoy that beast bro! ill like to get into a GT2 after...

Originally Posted by Igooz
...I agree and as I said earlier if you can "influence" Total that's what you should try and do. I got hosed after I repaired my 6GT2

...since you are in so-cal you may want to call LA Dismantlers. They may be able to "help" you? Good luck!
Thank you very much! LA dismantler was my next choice of shop if it didn't work out...

Originally Posted by Macster
Be careful. The adjuster can lowball the estimate.

My advice is you should find a Porsche Approved Collision Center in your area and get the car there for a damage assessment.

Porsche is pretty clear on what this entails.

One thing that is very important is the car be partially torn down and placed on a special alignment bench to determine if and by how much chassis/tub hard points are out of position. Porsche requires these be brought back into position. This is an expensive process and many insurance companies balk at paying for this.

But the car will not be fixed according to Porsche's requirements if this is not done and done right.

Side impacts are very bad. They damage the car in a way that is hard to repair. And the damage in the form of out of place hard points may not be confined to the side that took the impact. The other side can have been damaged in this regard as well. The only way to know is to check.

To be repaired to Porsche standards, the car should be repaired at a PACC. All parts should be new parts bought from PCNA and through an authorized dealer. All mechanical work should be performed by a Porsche tech.

I would hazard a guess the damage estimate will approach $40K. But I'm not sure the car is a good candidate to repair given the type of damage it sustained.

By getting the car properly evaluated by a shop that knows all there is to know about what it takes to properly repair these cars you get a more accurate estimate of the cost. Were I you my goal would be to have the car declared a total loss and move on.
The adjuster I spoke with yesterday knew the damages on my car and how much everything would be to fix it... it almost seemed like he already knew it should be a total loss...

Originally Posted by mdkim

Good luck.

wow sorry to hear that bro, Im glad youre okay though! but I mean, if you are emotionally attached to the car, I don't see why you shouldn't just fix the problem! mine was a pretty bad hit so I don't think the car will be the same anymore...

Quick Reply: Is my car totaled?