Sponsored by:

Soft Brake Pedal (Steel Rotors)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Brake Pedal (Steel Rotors)

So since i got my car ive always thought the brake pedal was a little soft (coming from c6 z06). There wasnt a feeling of initial bite. And depress maybe 6 inches for braking (all the way to aligned with gas pedal)

Recently i just found out i had a sticking rear caliper which destroyed that rotor and boiled the fluid. So last week i got a brand new caliper, new rotor, full fluid flush with oem, and new oem pads all around.
The pedal still feels very soft but once you get in it will stop just fine. If i pump the brakes more than once the pedal gets firm but if i release for 5-10 secs gets soft again.

Drove my buddies 14 caymanS yesterday and the initial feel of his is much better but i can tell my brakes are more powerful (6 v 4 and rotor size)

Anyone have any ideas? Ive read about some ABS module problems in here but not much info on it? Ive also read the soft TT brake pedal might be normal.

Thanks for the help. I guess finding another 997tt and feeling its brakes would at least help me determine if mine were normal.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Yogi, your brake pedal should feel firm within an inch. And not 6" parallel to the throttle. I have - 7TT and a 7GT2RS right now both with PCCB and both feel the same way.

You must have air in the system...or master cylinder issue.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Thats what i would think from a sports car. Mine feels like a 70s Truck with drums. Also i do not have PCCB.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Yogi, your brake pedal should feel firm within an inch. And not 6" parallel to the throttle. I have - 7TT and a 7GT2RS right now both with PCCB and both feel the same way. You must have air in the system...or master cylinder issue.
+1

Also check for uneven wear on the pads on all 4 corners,not just the one you found seized.
Check rotors too. Make sure no cracks or uneven wear.
Clean brake dust.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Just looked at the pads and rotors and they all look good. I did notice that they chipped the red caliper paint near the top bleed nut on the new caliper. Frustrating but probably not worth complaining about i just hope it doesnt get worse. Its about the size of a small ladybug.

Ill continue to investigate the peddle thing. Im gonna need new tires soon maybe ill have my indy relook at the brakes while the wheels are off.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd replace rotors in pairs, not individually.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:56 PM
Yogi911
Racer

Ive also got a chirping noise under light pedal coming from the new rotor/caliper. Dealer says its normal from the machining pattern on the new oem rotor until it completely breaks in.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:39 PM
mateush
Track Day

I have the same after some track driving.

I tought it is just boiled fluid, but after change and 3 bleeds it is still the same.

I think it might be the caliper seals. I see that the outer seals (dust boots) are cracked / cooked on rear calipers.
I'll change them with the inner ones and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Soft Brake Pedal (Steel Rotors)