Sponsored by:

Fabspeed MADE IN CHINA

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:19 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
[*]material - having a Turbo, it must be made of 321 stainless instead of the more common 304
I've not seen any 997TT exhausts made from 321 stainless (I may have missed this detail). Most seem to use 304. Is this really a concern?
Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

They use T304 on diesel trucks (OEM and AM) which run heck of a lot hotter than these cars...
Old 09-17-2014, 02:59 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dubaudi
If these 3 things were so important to you guys, why was Fabspeed even on your short list of choices???

By their own admission (right on their website) their systems are made of T304 stainless steel

Their 997.2 Turbo exhaust for example has over 24 welds and several sharp bends that are not quite mandrel bent by the look of them. A competitor's system (who I won't mention to avoid controversy) only has 12 welds and a fairly straight design with only 2 bends in the whole system.

So remind us again why Fabspeed was even on your list? It's amazing how little transparency there is on this site...LOL
It evidently appears to be a lack of knowledge driven by the emotions of product ownership. As you have pointed out, the high volume of welds, bends and clamps required to keep it all in one piece tell a few stories. I guess one could say the (only) up side (if you could call it that) is when its components fail they are able to be replaced. Some consolation I guess..

Last edited by speed21; 09-17-2014 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:09 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
I guess one could say the (only) up side (if you could call it that) is when its components fail they are able to be replaced. Some consolation I guess..
Like the tipping point during an accident. You go from active safety in avoiding it to passive safety in dealing with the consequences.

We buy a Porsche with active safety to avoid accidents in the first place, and with quality designed and built in so it lasts.

AM products should follow the same priorities.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:13 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Slightly off-topic, but I think relevant in light of my recent "customer service" issues with FS:

Recently I placed an order for some custom floor mats for my 914. Today, out of the blue, the owner of the floor mat company (CocoMats.com) called me because he saw a post (not mine) in a thread where there was some controversy regarding the mat fitment, and he wanted to know my opinion and which pattern I would like used. He had no idea that I had even seen that thread, but he knew it was a concern to some buyers, so he went out of his way to contact me. Wow!!!!! Now THAT is what I call excellent customer service!!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:44 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911

Recently I placed an order for some custom floor mats for my 914. Today, out of the blue, the owner of the floor mat company (CocoMats.com) ...
Cuda- please PM me pix and/or recap of your experience with CocoMats. I've considered them for my 914 as well.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:47 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
They use T304 on diesel trucks (OEM and AM) which run heck of a lot hotter than these cars...
This is semantics. How much do those parts cost per ft?

Point of this thread is that consumers paid top dollar for a product that did not measure up close to the perceived value advertised by the manufacturer.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Originally Posted by Domer911
Cuda- please PM me pix and/or recap of your experience with CocoMats. I've considered them for my 914 as well.
PM sent.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:19 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
This is semantics. How much do those parts cost per ft? Point of this thread is that consumers paid top dollar for a product that did not measure up close to the perceived value advertised by the manufacturer.
I disagree. We are referencing the material as an aspect of quality and value, and it has been insinuated that a measure of stainless steel grade is not fit for purpose. This resulted in me (and I'm sure others) looking into the grade of material used in other manufacturers exhausts.

If this has real life implications on performance or reliability then it needs to be called out, but if it doesn't (I can't find evidence to support it having any real impact) then it shouldn't be focused on. The perceived value vs material cost is not something that should play in to this discussion. Quality of the product as a result of material is much more important.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:02 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

As an example of how excellent customer service pays off, I've already had three people let me know that they are placing orders for the mats from CocoMats.com (note: I have no affiliation with them whatsoever). By that same token, I still routinely get PMs from people indicating that they have crossed FS off their list after reading my thread. In this age of rapid and easy information access, I just don't understand why a company would risk any damage to their reputation. Food for thought there for all vendors.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I disagree. We are referencing the material as an aspect of quality and value, and it has been insinuated that a measure of stainless steel grade is not fit for purpose. This resulted in me (and I'm sure others) looking into the grade of material used in other manufacturers exhausts. If this has real life implications on performance or reliability then it needs to be called out, but if it doesn't (I can't find evidence to support it having any real impact) then it shouldn't be focused on. The perceived value vs material cost is not something that should play in to this discussion. Quality of the product as a result of material is much more important.
Now you are piling it on. Where is my popcorn...
Old 09-18-2014, 03:00 PM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I still routinely get PMs from people indicating that they have crossed FS off their list after reading my thread. In this age of rapid and easy information access, I just don't understand why a company would risk any damage to their reputation. Food for thought there for all vendors.
No PM, but you can add me to that list. After reading your experience, they were not even a consideration. I'll be ordering from another site sponsor, just haven't figured what product to buy. Thanks for detailing your experiences.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:40 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Well I am considering the 200 HJS cat back straight to my tips. Then in the future, his X type system since they all bolt in easily with his quick clamps. I don't drive my car all the time but since I went out on a ride with my neighbors new 2014 viper, I will not mind that loud tone. At least for a while I won't. I am also considering Speedtech X-pipe with cats also.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:10 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan@Fabspeed

I operate with an old school style, if you are not getting responses immediately to your PM's for anything at all, (be it new parts, warranty/service, installation questions etc.) just give me 5 minutes of your time on the phone. Call directly and ask for me personally and watch how the situation progresses from there and I promise you will be pleased.
AMEN
I can't comprehend why some people complain for months about not getting an email response when the 5 minute phone call "could" sort things out.

just don't let it turn into "phone tag."

ps
i have bought once from FS
exhaust tips for the 993

they were well made
fit well
look good
were packaged well
and most likely made somewhere other than PA.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed MADE IN CHINA